Swags V Tents

Forum > General Discussion
1 2 3 4   Next
Wayne
Wayne (Vitaraman)
07 Feb 2016

Peoples opinions on the pros & cons of this subject.
I have a small tent and maybe be looking towards a swag.

()
07 Feb 2016

Message deleted by the author.

I love my swag so easy to set up and pack up. They do take up alittle more room than a tent. I havnt used a tent since having my swag nearly 3 years now. Is a little hard to get dressed in but there are always trees around 😀

Kris
Kris (AusTac)
07 Feb 2016

For solo stuff i use a gortex bivi and a hootchie over the top if i'm expecting some wet weather and a ground sheet depending on terrain, everything rolls up to the size of a hiking tent and keep me warm from -10 up

(mauriceb)
07 Feb 2016

I love my swag so easy to set up and pack up. They do take up alittle more room than a tent. I havnt used a tent since having my swag nearly 3 years now. Is a little hard to get dressed in but there are always trees around 😀
Hi Wayne. As an ex bushwalker i have always used a small hike tent and love them .Prefer the room. Most of my trips a remote desert. The last 12 years i have been using the http://www.instanttents.com ,double skin sets and packs up in seconds, fits in a bag 1100 long x 150 round .Went down to a store yesterday to look at some swags but declined due to there storage size and cliping 3 hoops on would take longer than my tent . I use the thicker thermo rest matress and a sleeping bag so pack up time is quick. I also use a macpac gortex bivy bag 900mm wide for quick overnight stops

()
07 Feb 2016

i saw the tent that you have its a really good looking little dome tent the thing that i think makes the difference is that the swags are more rugged i think they could take alot more punishment and also with the swag it has the matress rolled up inside . if i had a little car like your one i would probably get a small flat roof rack and get a decent piece of board with a couple of hinges on it so it folded out and bang the swag up on the roof it would be great you will be off the ground .

Mark (Mark66)
07 Feb 2016

Hi Wayne, 

I tend to agree with Mauriceb's response - the pop up tents are quicker to set it & take down than the swags with hoops and are by far significantly more spacious. 

I have a done swag & have tired of it, especially in rain & snow but still use my more traditional swag (no hoops) where I think the weather will permit. 

If your budget allows I suggest one of each - like sleeping bags one will not do the job year round. 

I have three of these also and camping has been so much better because of it. 

My two cents worth anyhow, hope it helps. 

Mark

(mauriceb)
07 Feb 2016

() wrote:

i saw the tent that you have its a really good looking little dome tent the thing that i think makes the difference is that the swags are more rugged i think they could take alot more punishment and also with the swag it has the matress rolled ......

Better than the Hilton https://goo.gl/photos/nzW3wYQQWJ85ZDyb6

()
07 Feb 2016

I prefere my good old simple swag (no hoops, no dome stye, etc...).

Other than that I have a pop up mozzie dome and a tarp 

Cheers

Andre

Rob (Bessiethebeast)
07 Feb 2016

Swags are great if you exclusively camp on your own.  With a Vitara (wonderful little 4WD) the issue is space.  A good quality tent, 2 x self inflating mattresses, 2 x pillows and 2 x sleeping bags will still talke up less than half your packing space than a swag.   Plus if your taking that someone special to share your bush experience with and you have a single swag makes for a lonely cold night in that swag all alone + and you still have to bring, pack and make room for somewhere for their sleeping gear.  Alternatively bring 2 swags and no food with a Vitara.  

However, in a tent there is always room for two to play doctors and nurses or simply spoon on those cold high mountain plains.  I guess you could get a double swag, imagine a double swag inside a Vitara (Yikes), imagine a double swag on top of Vitara (soft pillow to land on if you ever rolled the Vitara).  

My 2 cents, definitely a tent.

Callym
Callym (My Nav123)
07 Feb 2016

Swag
Warm, easy to set up, waterproof and windproof.
Tent
More space, harder to set up, not as wind or waterproof.
Got both but love my swag.

()
07 Feb 2016

What about the looking at Oz tent they have the original 30 second tent

Wayne
Wayne (Vitaraman)
07 Feb 2016

Thanx for all the replys.
I was concerned about the size of the swag.
looking for a quicker set up but with minimal pack size.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
07 Feb 2016

Swags are great if you exclusively camp on your own.  With a Vitara (wonderful little 4WD) the issue is space.  A good quality tent, 2 x self inflating mattresses, 2 x pillows and 2 x sleeping bags will still talke up less than half y......

Well we have just bought a Kings Double Swag i have always liked my swag & now Tracy prefers the Swag to the tent, & as for the TARA's (Vitara) we throw it on the roof with our camp chairs & it all fits up there nicely, with our Sleeping bags in it ready to go with our two pillows each in the TARA.

Just my 2 cents less Tax & GST worth.

Rob
Rob (DuckHunter)
08 Feb 2016

Wow!! - I consider myself an expert on this discussion having owned many swags, tents, camp trailers and now a little van and during the year I would use all of the above in different situations which brings me to the point that it will depend entirely on your use and budget...... If it is just myself and we are roughing it and it is summer, I prefer my swag and the best swag I have found lately (I have tried many) is the Darche Airvolution.....I added a self inflatable king matress from Aussie Disposals however it is the ducks nuts!! plenty of room, the ends pump up in seconds and it is good quality canvas. For anything winter/colder/wetter, first option is my little van......cannot beat the comfort and it is pretty rugged so can get to a lot of places however outside of that I have a 30 second tent that I love however would actually purchase a Darche airvolution tent (My mate has one) if I used it more than the once or twice a year that I currently do as I prefer the van!! 

1 2 3 4   Next