GRAMPIANS NATIONAL PARK

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience

Hey guys

this weekend (australia day weekend) me and a few mates went up to the grampians national park for a look....

We started out trip going to silver band falls, which this time of year doesn't flow much at all...... but still worth the look.

from here we went to boroka lookout, now the view from there was amazing, you can see pretty much all of halls gap inclduning lake bellfield. This lookout is a must for anyone traveling near by, if your a rat bag like me, jumo the fence and get a selfie on a rock ledge haha worth it :)

the balconies is anouther lookout that is really good, the carpark lookout is pretty much the highlight, the walking trail is nice, but you see the same shit from the carpark haha

we had lunch there and continued to mckenzies falls... this water fall does run all year round! and is well worth it. unfortunatly due to politically correct complainers of todays society, you can't swim there :( however a walking trailes follow the water fall and if you "de-tour" there are many quiet spots to dip your feet in haha. at the car park there is a hot donut stall and toilets for all :) 

if your a history nut, zumstiens is quite good for a look and not far from the balconies, wiki it for more information, also on parks vic website....

BEWARE FOR ALL WHO WISH TO CAMP.......... CAMPING REQUIRES PERMITS, LADY AT THE INFO CENTER LADY 28 BUCKS A NIGHT!!!!  ID LIKE A SHOWER AND A BED FOR THAT PRICE, BUT THATS JUST ME.

Me and my mates decided to leave for the night, stop off at the pub and head out to lake fyans for a look and hopefully camp.

the pub is quite nice, well priced. your meal is ready via a paging system, and you serve your own veg or salads.... i took full advantage of this :)

Lake fyans in the afternoon was great! little bit of sand you can drive on around the lake, and a good alround cruise.... we spoke to the angling club about camping on the lake and its illegal :( however if you speak to a man called ray, for 5 bucks a night you can camp at the club... public toilets are avalible.....

this is a hot spot for anyone wishing to do some fishing, however a boat is required due to it being quite shallow for about 20 meters or so.

a state forest is near by wich had a clearing and solved our camping spot issues, just down little devil road?

Mt william is a great view and explore... about 1km walk up to the peak and its a sealed road, grea for exploring on top!

from here we travelled to find some sites that had aboriginal art on rock faces, according to the info center lady, there are lots of these scattered around, however only four are publicly avalible.

two close to each other, are on the western side of the grampians, from serra road to goat track....  now on my mapping device i had a little walking track down goats track that was not on any other map we had avallible, certainly not on the map we got from info center, which got me thinking if it was one of the art locations we couln't publicly see.... due to it being sacred and what not...... now im an adventourous person and just couldn't help myself, i called up the boys to a halt and went for a look...... for those of you like me who hunt and can track, you will find the spot easy, ... for those of you who dont/cant. you will have to wander around for a while with to find the location wit gps. lucky for you, once i found it i got co-ords :) 

lat 37.23744 lon 142.30827

worth going to see :)

buandik shelter is a maked camp site and north of it is a public aboriginal art shelter, MUST SEE its really cool.

IF YOUR GOING TO GRAMPIANS, EXPECT TO PAY FOR CAMP SITES OR TRAVELL OUT LIKE WE DID.

HAVE A CHAT TO INFO CENTER, THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL WITH MANY MAPS AND INFORMATION BOOKLETS.

FUEL IS ABBOUT 122 PER LITRE UNLEADED, 

THE GROCERY SHOP IS ABOUT 2-3 BUCKS DEARER THEN ANY SAFEWAY HAHA

PUB IS LOCATED 5KMS OUT OF TOWN.

LOCAL POOL, TOILETS, BAR/CAFE, MAIN CAMPING SITE IN TOWN WHICE IS QUITE BIG, MANY RESORTS AND ALL THE USUAL CFA, POLICE, INFO CENTER AND CULTURAL CENTER LIES IN HALLS GAP.

IF YOU WANT TO 4X4, PROBABLY NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU, BUT STILL GOOD TO SEE NON THE LESS.

HOPE SOME OF THIS HELPS