Border Track /Robe

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
04 Jan 2016

I've been mapping out the border tk recently, looking at starting up in the top corner of vic out of Mildura near the border cliffs then down along the track to the town of Frances, then over to Robe / Beachport.

I'd like to know if anyone has done the border track, how much time did it take ? and was there much to see along the way?. I know there's a few ruins off the track. I am thinking to allow 6 days round trip,
cheers.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
06 Jan 2016

Not sure of things to see along the way off the track, I have only done it once and we stuck to the track except a small detour to red bluff camping spot. We spent 2 days doing the track and it was an easy drive for most of it with a couple of sand dunes that can make it interesting for a play, the hardest sections have drive around tracks for those with low clearance or camper trailers. A great trip and well worth the visit. 6 days will be more than enough time to realy take it easy and see the sights

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
06 Jan 2016

Was that starting at Pinaroo or from further up where I am planning?.

I reckon 6 days full round trip with a bit of fishing time around Robe would be sufficient 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
06 Jan 2016

yep started at Pinaroo and finshed just down from Bordertown from memory

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
11 Jan 2016

Alex, as Discomatt said, we began our trip at Pinaroo. 2 guys who met us began further north as you are planning and said it was 'nothing exciting' north of Pinaroo. If you did start the trip at Pinaroo, allow 2 days to get to to Robe. You can do the Pinarro/Bordertown section in one day, but is best to have a overnight stop at Red Bluff Campground. From there will be a reasonably big day to get to Robe, but easily doable. Personally, I would consider Beachport or Southend ahead of Robe, but we all have differing opinions of what is better. I am heading back to Southend in February, much quieter than both Beachport and Robe, but not too far to drive to either to have a look around. Not sure if you saw it, but there are some pics and trip report from our trip on the Border Track last April in the trip section somewhere.

Remember Border track is closed from November to April if memory serves me correctly.