Summit Trail Climber

Forum > Tech talk, questions

I just bought a set of Summit Trail Climber 265/75R16 A/W. They are an all terrain with a reasonably aggressive pattern. On the highway, hardly any noise at all, very smooth riding so far @ 40 psi. I'm getting the damn oil leak fixed after the 20/01 so hopefully then I can give them a bash off road and see how they perform, maybe try The Ladder again, see if I can make it without a winch this time, unless someone with 35's has chewed it up..

()
03 Jan 2016

Congrats on the new rubber Don.

I wouldn't get too fixated about doing the ladder without needing a winch.

One thing I have learned is not to push the vehicle too hard, or you start putting too much strain on parts that weren't designed for it.

Sometimes a bit of extra momentum can help, but it can bite you in the ass and make you bounce and lose control, sending you somewhere you didn't intend.

I look at a track like that now and think hmm, you need at least a rear locker for that, preferably both.

But I use my vehicle for work, so I look at it in a different way.

Anyway, keep the shiny side up and let us know how the new tyres go.

() wrote:

Congrats on the new rubber Don.

I wouldn't get too fixated about doing the ladder without needing a winch.

One thing I have learned is not to push the vehicle too hard, or you start putting too much strain on parts tha......

I did the Ladder with Kelvin and Musti back in October, and the back diff hung up, had to winch about half a meter, the rest went without any issues, and the ute was stock back then. These new shoes lifted it by at least 2.5 inches. Seen by going in with the spare tyre chain dragging on the ground going in, and 2 inches off the ground coming out. I figure that should give me the diff clearance I need. But, I wont tackle it alone, just in case something goes wrong. 

Mine is an everyday driver also, not work though, so I don't want to kill it. I will only take it where I am confident it will go, even if it does require some winching, after all thats what the winch is there for lol.

I will keep everyone informed on how the tyres perform off road. $ 180 per corner is pretty cheap for all terrains.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
03 Jan 2016

A good set of tyres makes all the difference, get out there and test them out, nothing like testing the limit of your toy and your skills, remember there is a lot to learn and 99% of 4bys are more capable than the nut behind the wheel so take it easy and learn as you go