For beginners with standard SUV/4WDs (new to 4wding)

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Jim
Jim (JimMc)
29 Dec 2015

Would there be any members intrest in a beginners camp at Talbotville on Crooked River near Dargo, and about  3hr 45min east from Dandenong Vic 295km and about 30km north of Dargo is Talbotville a great place to camp and there are some great tracks near by.  We would need a few days to have time to drive the tracks around the area.

Let have your idears.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
03 Jan 2016

The wife wants to get some dirt on her new FJ Cruiser but ideally looking at day trips for the first few trips. She has zero experience, multi day trips a bit too much to start off.

Thinking of a Lerderderg trip purely for beginners soon. I'll run it but she will drive. Keep an eye out.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
04 Jan 2016

The wife wants to get some dirt on her new FJ Cruiser but ideally looking at day trips for the first few trips. She has zero experience, multi day trips a bit too much to start off.

Thinking of a Lerderderg trip purely for beginners soo......

Hi Winston

I would be happy to set up a camp at Talbotville on Crooked River, driving time I put up (4.5hr) was only approx and based from Dandonong, Victoria. A UHF 80ch CB is a must (can be a handheld) or in car one, I like to go for there for as many days as I can , you can drive down on a Friday night and we can come home on Sunday but it is much better if we can go for three days (or more) I'm retired now but when I was working I would drive down on Thursday night after work, now I would drive down a day or two before so I can have a look at the tracks,  just let me know some dates that are good for you and I will set one up. 

4WD.trip.com.au will be runing beginers day trips very soon.

There are some great tracks in Gembrook (Bunyip State Park and Kurth Kiln Park) or maybe out the back of the Thomson Dam there are many great track in both places, I have not spent much time 4x4ing West of Mebourne (not since I worked for Parks till 2010) I don't like taking new 4x4ers to a area that I don;t know the tracks.  Let me know if any of these areas sound good to you.         

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
04 Jan 2016

Hi Winston

I would be happy to set up a camp at Talbotville on Crooked River, driving time I put up (4.5hr) was only approx and based from Dandonong, Victoria. A UHF 80ch CB is a must (can be a handheld) or in car one, I like to go f......

Probably a little too far for us - as I said day trips will be our aim to begin with so my wife can build up experience in small doses.

I might be keen though to do a medium trip out that way across a weekend in my truck.

()
08 Jan 2016

Hey Jim, I think that area is just way too far for newbee drivers, as they don't have the 4wd passion to be bothered with that long a drive.

BTW do you know what fish can be caught in the crooked river at talbotville?

Trout season is over, which seems like bs to me as they are actually a feral introduced fish, but that's another story.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
09 Jan 2016

() wrote:

Hey Jim, I think that area is just way too far for newbee drivers, as they don't have the 4wd passion to be bothered with that long a drive.

BTW do you know what fish can be caught in the crooked river at talbotville?

Hi Mark I think you may be right Talbotville is a bit far for the new bees, it's a long time ago I went fishing, and I have no Idear whats there, but I tell you the yabies are great in the river, I think we should set up some newbee trips, how about Gembrook, or even the back of the Thomson Dam, even the top end of Big River are only about 2hrs or less from my side of the City. I also would like to do a camp over Easter and I think I go to Talbotville and work my way back to Big River with Billy Goat bluff track ect.       

()
09 Jan 2016

Thanks Jim, I didn't know about the yabbies there, but jeeeeeezzz have a look at the restrictions on catching them, no opera nets allowed any more.

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/recreational-fishing-guide/catch-limits-and-closed-seasons/crustaceans/yabby-freshwater

Re your trip ideas, they sound great, I've never looked at Gembrook, I'm sure you'll get plenty of interested drivers.