First time trip leader training

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next

()
24 Dec 2015

Hey Kelvin and team, it seems there are a few new faces here that would like to run their first trip, some just jump in, others get mentored by more experienced drivers such as Allanmac like I did.

But there are quite a few that are just a bit wary of running one themselves.

Just wondering if you could run a training day for first time trip leaders that would focus on the newcomer sector doing easy trips.

That way you could encourage the less confident drivers to run a trip themselves.

I know you had a training day for trip leaders back in July? but that was for more experienced drivers/trips. It would be interesting to know how many of them went on to run trips of their own?

I for one have found it a rewarding experience running trips, even though they were piss easy, and many hard core drivers would laugh at the tracks we completed but hey, we all get our cheapies one way or another.

Anyway just a thought.

Cheers Mark

()
06 Jan 2016

KOOOOO WEEEEEE!

Hey Kelvin, any thoughts on this idea?

For all of the members here who haven't run a trip, a question for you.

Who would like to run a trip, but just doesn't have the confidence or just doesn't quite know how to arrange it?

Basically, who would be interested in being trained to run a trip?

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
09 Jan 2016

() wrote:

KOOOOO WEEEEEE!

Hey Kelvin, any thoughts on this idea?

For all of the members here who haven't run a trip, a question for you.

Who would like to run a trip, but just doesn't have the co......

You could put me down for trip training, you are never to old to find out something new.

()
09 Jan 2016

Hey Jim, looks like that idea was a fizzerfrown I'll just climb back up my tree.

15 Days and only 1 person interested (who doesn't need training anyway)

Perhaps a re-visit of the idea in a few months when more people have joined.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
09 Jan 2016

I could be wrong but in my opinion if only doing easy trips no training is required, basically all that you are doing is going for a drive down a dirt road, common sence and the most simle basics will get you through that. UHF on done, tyres deflated by 5=10 PSI for comfort done, Tail end charlie and convoy procedure, mark corners for the next veyicle and TEC notify leader when at intersections etc. done.

Now go have a nice drive in the bush.

Anyone else with anything I have missed ??

()
09 Jan 2016

Yeah, you are right Matt, Hey we agreed on somethingsurprise

That stuff is second nature to you, but it's amazing how may don't know convoy procedures or what tail end charlie is for, or marking corners etc.

I have tried to pursuede drivers on my trips to run one themselves, but commonly they don't want to.

There don't seem to be many beginner trips, and the ones there are fill quickly.

Giving  these drivers the basic skills and training from an experienced driver might give them the nudge to run trips themselves.

Also just basic things like how to post a trip, how many to limit it too, how much fuel you need, etc.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
09 Jan 2016

Hey Mark,

Sorry I missed this post completely for some reasons. Yes, I think it's a great idea. You are right, the first trip leader training may target more experienced drivers but the priniple are the same. Things we covered such as convoy procedure, pre-trip preparation, communication, recovery technique, those are the things should be covered. We don't call it "training" as such as we are not accredited trainers. However, we shared our knowledge and expeirence, which is pretty much how we learnt from 4wding. I do encourage most of the drivers to attend a 4wd course. I did mine many many years ago and I still remember that day. 

Let's keep thinking on how we can run this. 

Kelvin

()
10 Jan 2016

Hey Kelvin,

thanks for the reply, I had that idea a couple of weeks ago when there wasn't many easy/med trips being run.

Now there appears to be plenty of them.

But still would be great to give people a nudge to run their own trip.

A few people have said to me "Oh nah I couldn't do that, or I'm not experienced enough to run a trip" 

But like Matt said at this level it really is very simple.

Many people don't like public speaking and the pre trip meeting and talk about the day may put people off running a trip.

Not much you can do about that, other than keep the group small. I tend to like 4 car groups anyway as it's really easy to manage.

Martin
Martin (BT50driver)
10 Jan 2016

() wrote:

Hey Kelvin,

thanks for the reply, I had that idea a couple of weeks ago when there wasn't many easy/med trips being run.

Now there appears to be plenty of them.

But still would be great to give people a nudg......

It would be good to have a trip leader training, i for one would want to lead a trip with someone experienced but my wife thinks different :P

We are going on a trip in the Grampians this year and do  some camping and relaxed driving.

Now i only have to get my wife to agree to run it as a trip  for more people and it will be an surprise trip as i never have done four wheel driving in the Grampians (could be fun).

PS: Mark i fitted my torsion bars today (was easy to do ).

()
10 Jan 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
10 Jan 2016

() wrote:

Hi I have put up a trip to Kurth Kiln/ Bunyip state Park I will be camping up at Kurth Kiln from Friday 22 till Sunday 24th Jan,  we could run a trip leader know how on the Friday Night  "who will help me out," I think we need to work out the safest way we can run trips with how to work radio, stop and stay till the next 4x4 gets to the road turn ect, looking over the 4x4 before you start a trip before you have to pull them out, How to Poo in the bush, the list can go on and on, but with a camp you can sit and talk about some of the things that have happened to you. And camping the night after a trip we can talk about any thing from the day and fix any problems that we may have had on the day so we don't do them again.        

So what do you think can we do it?

()
10 Jan 2016

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
10 Jan 2016

() wrote:

That be right I'm retired and I don't remember when you workers have days off, bugger but no trouble if I know how many are coming to camp I tape a area off for us, I can get up at there 08.00am, on Friday if not the night before. Any help I can get would be great, I put my foot in it now, (I don't need much of a hint to go camping.) You don't have to book or pay now and it's first in now. For the first time in many years I may take a tent so I can keep my camping spot.            

()
12 Jan 2016

It would be good to have a trip leader training, i for one would want to lead a trip with someone experienced but my wife thinks different :P

We are going on a trip in the Grampians this year and do  some camping and relaxed dri......

Hey Martin, that sounds like a nice trip.

If you want to talk your wife into running it as a trip and not just you going away as a couple, maybe do some day trips with the people you would like to go with, so she can meet them.

Then when you run the trip post it as a private trip, it works exactly the same way, but it doesn't appear on the website, the trip leader gets a web address for the trip, he/she can then send that to the people who are invited.

I'm sure you could talk your wife into it as long as the group was small and she met them on a day trip.

()
12 Jan 2016

Hi I have put up a trip to Kurth Kiln/ Bunyip state Park I will be camping up at Kurth Kiln from Friday 22 till Sunday 24th Jan,  we could run a trip leader know how on the Friday Night  "who will help me out," I think we ne......

I was kind of thinking that Kelvin might like to be involved in that.

That's why I put the idea to the 4WD trip team, when I have run trips and tried to pursuede people to run their own, it hasn't been all that sucessful.

I imagine if it came from someone more knowledgeable the message may come across with more credibility.

I think before anyone starts running a "how to run a trip" day it need to be OK'd by Kelvin first.

BUT considering how many easy/med trips are being posted lately there doesn't seem to be a need for more trip leaders (at the moment)

1 2   Next