Would a camping weekend get together work on this site

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
1 2 3   Next

()
15 Dec 2015

Hi just wondering if a weekend get together would work on this site,another forum has one at otooles,big camping area and some tracks for everyone,depends on how many people come but different convoy groups for what tracks your up for,like I said it's just a thought,probably a stupid one cheers garry

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Dec 2015

A great idea Garry, its just another trip without limiting numbers and having a base camp. The Earth weekend is always great fun, missed this years but will certainly try to make next year, there are some great people that attend that weekend.

()
15 Dec 2015

I got the idea cause I saw them at the dam wall on Sunday on my way home,I think it was a Xmas get together,It would be more of a relaxed weekend with a base camp ,like you said 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Dec 2015

Ah yep, that would have been there Christmas Drinks weekend, I was thinking of there annual vic gathering

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
15 Dec 2015

Gazz thats an awesome idea , I would suggest  any  weekend during the open season and not on a long weekend , just pick a date that suits you and give everyone about 3 months notice and as Matt says with a base camp no limit on numbers.

()
15 Dec 2015

Gazz thats an awesome idea , I would suggest  any  weekend during the open season and not on a long weekend , just pick a date that suits you and give everyone about 3 months notice and as Matt says with a base camp no limit on numbers.

Hi Allan I know I put the idea up for discussion,but to organise it would be out of my league,I'm a very reserved person cheers garry

()
15 Dec 2015

Gary, you have been on one of my trips, you showed great skill, you have knowledge of the area, there is no reason why you couldn't run a trip yourself.

Just list what people need to bring etc, I'm sure either of the Allan's will be your 2ic and help where needed.

Maybe practice by doing a trip with 3 or 4 cars, to get the feel of it.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Dec 2015

A great idea Gazza and worth considering. As Discomatt said, 4x4 Earth run a annual gathering at various locations, including O'Tooles, Talbotville or Skipworth with members  coming from Aust wide. They run excellent events but are very structured, in that you need to register to attend, sign idemnity forms etc etc; in other words they 'dot all the i's and cross all the t's'. Nothing wrong with that, but I am not sure that this site would need to follow similar procedures as in all reality it would just be another trip and the organiser would just 'Post a Trip'.

If you want to take it further, I am willing to help you if you would like, but  a couple of things would need to be arranged prior to putting trip up.

1. DATE.

As mentioned earlier does not want to be on a long weekend or in school hollies. Perfect time is either side of a long weekend/Easter/ School hollies etc when all tracks are still open and the weather is not freezing cold. Maybe early April or late November.

2. LOCATION.

Will always be a contentious issue, but probably the 3 better locations would be O'Tooles, Talbotville or Skipworth. If I maybe so bold, my 'pros and cons' of each.

O'Tooles. - Many love it, big area, it has some great tracks in the area, but other than the gazebo nothing to write home about. River access is crap and only has one or two pit dunnies. Also if people need fuel or supplies, it is a long bloody drive.

Talbotville. - Great camping area, right on the river, fantastic tracks BUT , a long drive to get there, fuel/supplies a fair hike to Dargo. Also only 2 pit dunnies. Too far for just a normal weekend.

Skipworth. - Just 7 klms from Jamieson where you get supplies/fuel. A couple of pubs to choose from if you want a counter meal. Brand new pit dunnies (4), right on the Goulburn River, sealed road to camping area so no problem for caravans/camper trailers, fire pits and picnic tables. Arguably not as good 4wd driving as the above 2, but still plenty around heading towards Woods Point or heading up to Mt Terrible or Craigs Hut etc etc.

As you may have gathered, Skipworth would be my preferred location for this 1st trip. Cheryl & I took the camper up there last week for 3 days; ah the 'serenity'.

3. TRIP DURATION.

You could make it just a weekend, but that would rule out Talbotville straight away; too bloody far. Could do either Skipworth or O'Tooles but no gaurantee how many spots available. For example, our trip last week to Skipworth we arrived Thursday lunchtime and only one other camper. By Friday afternoon there was another 6 there. So to make it worthwhile and to ensure people got a decent spot I think you would want to be able to head up Thursday arvo at the latest; whether that be O'Tooles or Skipworth but especially Skipworth.

4. VEHICLE NUMBERS.

Whilst some may say make it 'unlimited' but, for the 1st one I would keep it to a maximum of 20 vehicles. Make it somewhat intimate, easier for everyone to get to know each other and more importantly possibly make it more attractive for members to bring their partners/children etc. Plus nobody wants to be camping on top of each other.

Anyway Gazza, great idea of yours and again, if you want to take it further I am willing to help you if you want.

Cheers

()
17 Dec 2015

Hi Allan I'll bin the idea,if anyone wants to run with it,go for it,I think it would be a logistics nightmare,Anyway thanks for the insight that would be involved in it,and offering to help Allan cheers garry

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
17 Dec 2015

It certainly is a LOT of behind the scene work with such a trip / weekeed. Earth has a committee thatspend heaps of time and effort to plan and organise the weekend. They have kids activities, a few raffles and fund raisers for local charity and the list goes on. We could do a smaller gig and keep it a lot simpler, will have a think about it and chat to a few people and lets see what happens in 2016

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
17 Dec 2015

Yes I agree Skipworth is an awesome camp site , my only concern is many people including me are not keen on driving through Mansfield for the obvious reason, but should not stop Skipworth being the location as most are willing to take the chance to camp at an awesome camp site.

()
17 Dec 2015

It certainly is a LOT of behind the scene work with such a trip / weekeed. Earth has a committee thatspend heaps of time and effort to plan and organise the weekend. They have kids activities, a few raffles and fund raisers for local charity an......

Do you know how the earth people get the otooles camp site.do they book it or get there early?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Dec 2015

() wrote:

Do you know how the earth people get the otooles camp site.do they book it or get there early?

No booking Gazza, the organisers get up there on the Tuesday  and set up tents, gazebos etc. As Big Al said, Skipworth is awesome and in my opinion the perfect location. Yes the police are always on the lookout for unroadworthy vehicles in the Mansfield area, but more so on on Friday/weekend.

If there is enough interest, I have no problem setting up a trip, but it will be to Skipworth...wink

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Dec 2015

Yes I agree Skipworth is an awesome camp site , my only concern is many people including me are not keen on driving through Mansfield for the obvious reason, but should not stop Skipworth being the location as most are willing to take the chance to camp at an awesome camp site.

They would only stop you because your vehicle is 'too clean' Big Al.

()
17 Dec 2015

There always Warburton to woods point or moe to woods point to get to skipworth,or cut across from elidon  to Jamerson dirty rd

1 2 3   Next