3rd Annual Victorian Ranger/BT50 weekend

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Jason
Jason (JBird)
23 Nov 2015

Well, we're back, and what a doosie of a weekend it was!

Let me just start this report by saying a big thankyou to all that attended, not only for making the effort to take part in ths years trip, but for being a well behaved bunch: it just makes things sooo much easier and so much more pleasant not having to deal with dickheads all weekend.

So, as some of you may or may not know, the expected number for this trip ( excluding those that were down as maybees or had to pull out at the last minute) was 21; out of that 21 the attendance was 19 ... not a bad effort at all I'd say.
Just for the record, at its peak (including those down as interested and some from other sites, had everyone been able to make it we could've ended up with as many as 42 vehicles. Wow!
So just to give you guys an overall picture of how this annual trip's evolving: the first year we had 9 cars attend, the second year we had 7 (some had to pull the pin at last minute so there were a few more originally), and this year we had 19. Not bad for its 3rd year.

Moving on. ...
What a great trip! The trip kicked off on the Thursday with a few of the lucky ones being able to get there early including our first interstaters for this year from NSW Allan and Karen (did I get that right guys?). The driving kicked off around lunchtime on the Friday after more people had arrived,  covering some of the closer tracks to camp including Pheasant Creek and Gunns Creek Tracks
Then it was back to camp to sit around the fire, eat cheese and crackers thanks to Nickj and Donna and get to know a little about everyone as the night wore on.

Saturday arrived and what a beautiful day. With a few more people in attendance now having filtered in through the course of Friday night and Sat morning breakfasts were prepared and eaten as once again people congregated around the central firepit to get to know each other.
A little later the maps came out and a game-plan for Saturdays driving was hatched which consisted of leaving camp at Beveridges Station and heading up Mt Murray North Track then left on to Twins Jeep Track, a little detour up to the Mt Murray helipad and then onto the iconic  Blue Rag Range Track via the Dargo High Plains Rd.
After having a bite to eat for lunch, admiring the phenominal views and taking countless photos—including the group photo—it was back to camp via the worst (or best) track of the weekend, Gunns Track.  Why was it the worst or best track? Depending on whether you're a beginner or a thrillseeker, this track coming off the Great Alpine Rd was nothing short of a goat track, and probably meant for goats come to think of it. It was very rocky and shaley, overgrown and narrow in places, had quite a few steep sections and just for good measure a few small rock steps and holes thrown in; albeit, everyone handled it with aplomb, experienced and beginners alike.

Sunday consisted of a few more arrivals that came in Saturday afternoon / night, including but not limited to, our most distant participant for the weekend, Mick who made the epic journey from Kalgoorlie in WA...yes, you heard that right. Now THAT'S commitment.
Another drive was organised up Mt Selwyn Rd to the helipad amongst other tracks in the area, whilst some packed up and headed off on their journeys home to be ready for the daily grind come Monday morning; then there was the few including myself that chose to just relax at camp for the day.

Come Monday, pretty much everyone had left aside from a handful that stayed Sunday night. After a reasonably early packup a few of the boys dotted out some tracks to meander through on the way back to civilisation, whilst the rest of us took the easy way.

All in all, I would class the trip as a huge success. Once again I would sincerely like to thank everyone for being civilised over the whole weekend, it makes things so much more enjoyable.
I hope that everyone who attended had a great time, made some new friends and maybe even learnt a thing or two along the way. I know I did

Just a few special mentions to end this report:

Applause to those interstaters that were keen enough to risk a weekend down south with us Mexicans, thanks for making the effort.
Also a hugh thanks on my part to Stan, Johnny and Mark for their knowledge, time & effort to diagnose and temporarily repair my car after I somehow managed to bend the idler arm. What can you say about these types of blokes that just jump in and start crawling around in dirt, getting covered in grease and risk skinning most of their knuckles for someone else. ...

NB: Those that have photos or videos of the event that they want to share, please feel free to upload them either in this thread or http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/trip/photos.aspx?tripid=259

Thanks again all, and keep an eye out for next years trip ;) 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
23 Nov 2015

Excellent report Jason and well done to all those Ranger/BT50 owners who committed to attending what looks like becoming a huge annual event...yes. Thanks for posting report in this section and hopefully the report and pics done by Nickyj can be transferred over here so all can read and enjoy.

What a great trip Christopher and I enjoyed it very much, great bunch of people. Blue Rag is now crossed off our list. Thanks again go to Jbird and his apprentices Nick and Donna great pics guys, I enjoyed the banter as I think we all did, both these vehicles Ranger and the BT's are more than capable of handling any tracks Australia has to offer. Comment on the snow trip: don't the BT's have heater issues.😁 thanks again guys sure to see you all on the tracks again soon. Big Kev and Chris

()
24 Nov 2015

What a pity I didn't get up there earlier, missing out on the blue rag drive was a bugger.

Great to meet all the other Ranger drivers, hopefully I can get there earlier next year.

Thanks to JBird for arranging the trip and thanks to Kirby for running the Sunday drive.yes

In my case it was short and sweet, but had a great time away from the concrete jungle.

Cheers Mark

PS Big Kev, I'll never give up, till I educate you what a nice beer is.cheeky

PPS How did the group that left on Sunday to go down through crooked river go?

A vid  I hope it works

https://youtu.be/ygNLTPTcRIU

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Nov 2015

Nice video Big Kev. I thought the track may have started to revert back to its old self since the grading, but it still looks as 'smooth as a babies bum'.

Allan (kad010)
24 Nov 2015

Excellent report Jason and well done to all those Ranger/BT50 owners who committed to attending what looks like becoming a huge annual event...yes

Jason
Jason (JBird)
25 Nov 2015

A vid  I hope it works

https://youtu.be/ygNLTPTcRIU

Great vid Kev, thanks for sharing ;)

()
26 Nov 2015

One thing I forgot to mention, wow what a clean place it was, the campsite was spotless when I got there, I didn't see one bit of rubbish.

Out on the tracks I didn't see anything either.

By Sunday there were only 4 vehicles left, and it was still spotless, everyone cleaned up well, I noticed even the smokers were picking their butts up after they stomped them out.

Well done guysyes