Heading to Walhalla - Track opinions

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Ricky
Ricky (R1XSTA)
12 Nov 2015

Hi all.

Heading to Walhalla with some friends this weekend. Wanting to get a plan in order.

Ideally I wanted to enter off Walhalla Road, turning right onto Maiden Town Track.

Then veering left onto Deep Creek Track #1 following this until I can go right onto Deep Creek Track #2 and then left onto Deep Creek Track #5.

At the end of Deep Creek Track #5 turning left onto Binns road, and turning right onto Army South Track, following that to Fultons Track and then Dry Gully South track back onto Binns Road/walhalla road.

My Questions -

Does anyone know if there is any closures around the area at all? I have looked on the DEPI website/public access map and its all showing as open.
Will these tracks take some time, are they technical or are they more like transition tracks between some more difficult offroading?
Can I anticipate to take some time to do these tracks, We are looking at arriving in walhalla and commencing around 10am, Will these tracks be enough to hold off until around 3-4pm?

Should we go anywhere else? I have seen dirtbike videos and the tracks look kind of tame, am I better going up Army South Track and following that up to Williamson spur and then Flats track to toward O'Tooles flat?

Is there a direct road out of O'Tooles or only accessible by 4X4?

Sorry for all the questions. I will be keeping notes of all tracks driven as I would like to run a trip on here with the following route but need to drive it first.

Thanks in advance.

()
12 Nov 2015

I was on deep creek 1 last week,it's closed half way down for logging until 12 dec I think.Theres a temporary fence across track and a sign saying closed and fines apply,had to turn around  cant get to other tracks,can do the 200m creek and step then u turn,walhalla to Macalister gorge is a good drive down Burgoynes track.

Ricky
Ricky (R1XSTA)
12 Nov 2015

() wrote:

I was on deep creek 1 last week,it's closed half way down for logging until 12 dec I think.Theres a temporary fence across track and a sign saying closed and fines apply,had to turn around  cant get to other tracks,can do the 200m cree......

Can we enter VIA Deep creek #1 on Binns road and head down onto #2 and then #5?

Is it only #1 thats blocked off?

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
12 Nov 2015

Can we enter VIA Deep creek #1 on Binns road and head down onto #2 and then #5?

Is it only #1 thats blocked off?

The intersection is blocked off. Other option is 2-5 than on bins rd

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
12 Nov 2015

and you should drive all that in a day no problems. If never been befor Mabee even finish at Thompson dam (follow fultons to walhalla Rs and turn right at the end).

Ricky
Ricky (R1XSTA)
12 Nov 2015

I called up DSE in Erica and they said there was diversions set on Deep Creek #1 but it has now been opened, and Binns road is open also.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
12 Nov 2015

Be carefull on the tracks up there!! There are a few tracks that need to be treated with a lot of respect or you will end up with a broken 4by and they will also want to lay down for a rest if your not carefull.

Keep the shiney side up!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
15 Nov 2015

I came back thru that area yesterday , deep creek 5 is closed for logging.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Nov 2015

How did the trip go Ricky?

Ricky
Ricky (R1XSTA)
17 Nov 2015

How did the trip go Ricky?

Howdy,

Trip went extremely well. Did Deep Creek #1 the entire way through, had to divert around a little of #2 due to logging, but the truck paths brought us right onto the track again anyways, then went through #5 which was open when we went through.

Then went up Army South, Army Mid track before back tracking after lunch and heading down Fultons track and Fultons creek track.

It was alot of up mountain, down mountain, and not really any challenging driving. Water crossings were fun on Fultons.

Got half way through Fultons and snapped the blades on the clutch fan at the front of my engine from the water current pulling the fan the other way and causing to much drag, so had to be skull dragged from fultons creek track to walhalla road. Managed to drive home with the AC on full to keep the AC fan running so I wouldn't overheat with the heater on.

Was a good drive, I personally wouldn't do it again but am glad that I did it. Deep creek 1,2,5 are all extremely easy and doesn't really have any clenching moments in my opinion.