1 2   Next
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 Nov 2015

Had a great day out with some great people, only ended up being 4 of us but thats a good number when doing harder tracks as it keeps the group moveing along at a good pace and not to long waiting at each tricky section. We even managed to do some rubbish collection along the way which was great.

Started of with cockpit and got st8 into the challenging stuff, lucky the rain held off for the day so we could drive and not winch, we all drove without to much difficulty, not the same could be said for another group of youngster we came across, no winches all terrains and minimal if any prior experience, needless to say they where stuggling and after trying to advise and trying to help them out we suggested they turn around. We then did Blowhard and Airoplane we all drove the R/H side up Airoplane as the ruts are getting way to deep, even 35 simexes couldn't get up. The gate had been cut open and evedence of cars going through during the seasonal closed period was obvious and also confirmed by Clint so the track is now destroyed by selfish pricks. We also drove Lyndells which was fun and a bit of a challenge then headed over toward Rocky, well hasn't that track changed since my last trip there. It is now very loose with some decent holes and ledges starting to make it quite a challenging track, soon the hard R/H side will become the easy option, if your game!!

We then headed toward home via Pauls Range track, an area I hadn't done before and found a few nice bits of track, we went down next time up will be the challenge. We then headed out to the black top aired up and headed home.

Thanks to those who attended, another great day out wheeling.

I don't have any photos but am sure some will be posted

It was a great day, good to meet some great people. Had just enough rain to settle the dust, were still some wet sections on the tracks, no breakages although Allan thought he might have done a CV but was only a big rock he flicked out from under him on Lyndals track.

jackie and I left a bit early to pack more things for our move, so we decided to head home via Blowhard and Cockpit tracks to make sure those ill equipped 4wd's got out ok, they must have we didn't see them. Hope they learned a little from that. We look forward to many more trips, thanks Allan 😀👍

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 Nov 2015

Message deleted by the author.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 Nov 2015

Here is the video.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Nov 2015

Thanxs for the video and pics All, as always a great report, some of it is over the photos, not sure what happened there, bloody computers!!

No footage of you going through the harder section of airoplane? just a little bit of Clint having a couple of cracks before getting through. We need to see some footage of the Paj haveing to have a second crack or people mifgt start to believe it really is un stopable...

Looking forward to the next instalment

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Nov 2015

Matt, since the upgrade there are a few glitches when posting reports in this section. Must admit was very frustrating trying to get it up as had to have quite a few goes at it when adding pics. I was a 'dipstick' in that I thought I was recording going up the narly section of Blowhard but had it on pause.

Will get some more video of the afternoon part of the day and will have footage of the Paj struggling on Red Tk. Has always been a track I have problems with and as you said, maybe I need to let the tyres down more.

PS Matt, will have to redo the 1st installment because as you said, writing is over the pics....frown

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Nov 2015

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Nov 2015

My report 'take two'.

Left home early Sat morning and after a heavy downpour thought; "this is going to be an interesting day". Luckily Yarra Glen seemed to only get a sprinkling of rain which was still going to make a few of the tracks somewhat slippery. Discomatt (Matt), Hundyinmelb (Brenton) and myself left McKenzie Reserve to meet ClintGU (Clint) and his partner Jackie at Sylvia Creek Rd. We did the introductions etc, aired down and made our way to Cockpit. Even though there had only been a little rain, the track was still slippery in places but no issues for any of the group. About half way up Cockpit, as Matt mentioned earlier, we came across a group of vehicles struggling on one of the sections. There was only one car with a winch and only one had a UHF radio plus most of the vehicles were on A/T's, and Cockpit is not a track to attempt without winches, mud tyres & appropriate recovery gear. After a few attempts, they were advised to turn around as if we had of helped them, we would have been there half the day.

We arrived at Blowhard, which even after minimal rain was wet and slippery. We all got to the top without any recoveries etc and made our way towards Aeroplane Tk. 1st thing we noticed on arriving was that a track had been made through the bush to get around the locked gate. Unfortunately this behaviour is becoming all too common in the 4wd fraternity with many not giving two hoots whether they drive closed tracks and others not making the effort to check to see if tracks are open or not. Clint did mention that chain on gate at the top of Aeroplane had been broken; again getting pretty common these days. Anyway I digress.

As a result, Aeroplane is now a bloody mess. We were lucky in that the side track on the right wasnt too wet so we were able to drive it. Clint decided to have a crack at the insane section and after a few attempts, gave it away as even running his 35" Simex tyres there was no way he would get up without damaging his truck. We then made our way to Lukes Creek Tk then down to Marginal Road where we stopped for lunch. Plan for the afternoon was Campsite, Martins, Red Tk West (Lyndells) then make our way to Rocky Tk via Downies Spur. Will post some pics when I get back on my computer.

Afternoon report to follow at some stage.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Nov 2015

A couple of pics from the day.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
02 Nov 2015

sounds like a good day.i enjoyed the video, wheres part 2

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Nov 2015

After our lunch stop, we made our way to Campsite Tk, which is one of my favourites in Toolangi. Nothing overly hard but it has a nice little creek crossing, which helped wash the mud off our cars after the morning tracks, then a nice continuous steep climb. In the wet this section can get difficult but this part of the forest was as 'dry as a chip'. Down Martins Tk, another creek crossing then we made our way to Red Tk West, commonly known as Lyndells Tk. This track is a steep rocky climb the goes on forever and for some reason I have always struggled on this track...grrrr. Today was no different as I continually lost traction on the rocky surface and had numerous goes on some sections. There was one point when I thought I broke another CV, but it was just the rocks hitting the undercarriage of the Paj with many rolling down the hill towards the cars behind. As Matt suggested, I probably should have dropped my tyre pressures. Matt, Brenton and Clint had no issues on this track and we then made our way to Downies Spur. Clint and Jackie headed home as he had some packing to do for their upcoming house move.

Downies Spur has numerous bogholes, which we all avoided. A solo 4wd coming in the other direction informed us that he had wrecked his winch in one of the bogs; not sure what the attraction is of driving them, especially with no other vehicles to assist if required. From there we headed onto Wee Creek Tk. Easy run with the exception of a side track that rejoins the main track. The section is quite steep with a big angled drop off that has the potential to have your vehicle hitting the embankment very hard; we decided to give this a miss. Back onto Marginal Rd and went down a track the connected up to the old Glenburn Tk that now becomes a dead end as a result of the east/west pipeline. We then arrived at Rocky Track to finish the day.

As Matt said earlier, Rocky is badly chewed up, especially the so called easier track on the left as you arrive at the junction of the super hard section up the middle. We all got up then made our way back towards Yarra Glen via Pauls Range track and aired up and said our goodbyes.

A really enjoyable day with great company and a big 'hats off' to Hundyinmelb (Brenton) who drove all the way from Bendigo for this trip. The only dissapointment on the day was the amount of rubbish left on the tracks. Clint and Matt were continually stopping to pick up empty plastic bottles, stubbies etc etc. Suppose it is no real surprise, but there are many 4wders who have absolutely no respect for the bush. Same can be said for the dickheads who drive closed tracks, but will be the 1st to whinge when they get closed permanently.

PS: Am sure some who have read this report and watched the video may fell inclined to drive Cockpit, Blowhard and Aeroplane; a piece of advice and you can take it on board or not, especially those who have never attempted these tracks before.

Unless you have 32" MUD tyres (as a minimum), a working winch and preferably some traction aid, DO NOT ATTEMPT to drive these tracks.

A/T's will not cut it as even if there has been no recent rain, this part of Toolangi gets very little sunshine and the tracks are always damp. There had been no substantial rain fall in Toolangi for over a week and you can see how wet the likes of Blowhard were. Again, not trying to tell anyone how to 'suck eggs', but unless your vehicle is equipped with the above and you are reasonably experienced, give these tracks a miss.

Video of the afternoon to follow in the next day or so.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Nov 2015

Top one Allan, hows that second video coming along?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
02 Nov 2015

Putting it up now Matt. Some may find it boring, but have not edited much and including a lot of footage of a few tracks for those who have not been to Toolangi.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
02 Nov 2015

Enjoyed that last video, and as a bonus we get the last few trips you've been on :)  the carrot garnish at the end of the video was interesting

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
03 Nov 2015

Enjoyed that last video, and as a bonus we get the last few trips you've been on :)  the carrot garnish at the end of the video was interesting

Glad you enjoyed it Dennis; what do you mean by carrot garnish...?

1 2   Next