NEW FEATURE!! - Rate a 4WDer (member)

Forum > Announcements
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
25 Jul 2014

NEW FEATURE!! - Rate a 4WDer (member)

If you have joined a trip, you must know how good or bad other 4wder's skills are. You can now easily rate a 4WDer and add your comment about their skills and experience. 

So, if a member who have received a lot of good rating, you will be confident to go out with him/her or join their trips. 

Once you have left a rating and comment, the member will receive an email notification. Your rating left will also be displayed at their profile under "Rating" tab. 

Example: http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/member/rating.aspx?u=5

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
26 Jul 2014

I Think this one could End in tears This could lead to some negative comments which could could aleanate that person.

Im more inclinded to say a Trip rating reather than a person rating, Just my Oppinion though.

Henk
Henk (ironpipe)
26 Jul 2014

Maybe it would work better if you rated the trip leader only.  Just a thought

Henk

Fraser
Fraser (ScotsMan)
26 Jul 2014

I guess in theory this is a good idea but as everyone has different expectations and opinions I could see it going pear shaped pretty quickly. Sounds like an opertunity for arguments abuse and possible bullying to me .Why not have trip reports with the trip rated for others by the people who went on that trip .

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
26 Jul 2014

Thanks for feedback guys, the reason of having a rating system is to encourage 4wders to behave well and tread lightly. If you have no respect of the enviorment, other 4wders, regularly absent from the trips, being late without notifying the leader, ignoring advices from more experienced 4wders, performing dangerous recovery etc, that's the things we don't want to see in our trips. 

Like any rating system, some may choose to abuse it but I don't see that it will be case on our site. It may happen to a few in the future but I can also look into it case by case if they are reported. 

However, the rating system is a useful way to tell if you should go on a trip with a member or join a trip organised by a particular member. It should also help get rid of some bad apples (if any). It's also a recognition and a way to praise other 4wders who have done a fantastic job. 

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
26 Jul 2014

Kelvin, I see what your doing here and it's a Pandoras box, Example the 3 trucks that drove that diffecult rocky climb at Cobaw , while it would be easy to rate them all highly but the guy in the silver GU on 36 inch Simex's  seemed to have no respect for his vehicle or the tracks he drives and Steve in the Rangie has some respect for his truck and the tracks he drives on and then theres you ,who has lots of respect for your truck and for the tracks, so I will try and be clear what I am rating.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
26 Jul 2014

Kelvin, I see what your doing here and it's a Pandoras box, Example the 3 trucks that drove that diffecult rocky climb at Cobaw , while it would be easy to rate them all highly but the guy in the silver GU on 36 inch Simex's  seeme......

Thanks Allan. I will have a think about it again, may scrap the rating idea if it causes more harm than good.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
26 Jul 2014

It's far as im conserned i will not be using the ratings Like Alan has said It's a Pandoras Box & Could/Will go pear shaped real Quick.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
26 Jul 2014

I think it may work better if you made it like a best and fairest vote were everyone that attends a trip votes for their top 3  with a 3,2,1 vote with no comments and the vote being secret. Not about who gets up that hill but who helps out on recoveries or who gets out their chainsaw and clears a tree or someone that gives it a red hot go in a vehicle not as capable. Just my thoughts. 

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
26 Jul 2014

I think it may work better if you made it like a best and fairest vote were everyone that attends a trip votes for their top 3  with a 3,2,1 vote with no comments and the vote being secret. Not about who gets up that hill but who helps out......

I Like that idea.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
26 Jul 2014

I think it may work better if you made it like a best and fairest vote were everyone that attends a trip votes for their top 3  with a 3,2,1 vote with no comments and the vote being secret. Not about who gets up that hill but who helps out......

Thanks for suggestions Dave, will have a think about it. 

Like anything, try not to think about the negativity immediately. It's like.... if you keep thinking about you could roll your 4wd, would you ever go 4wding?

There are many benefits having a rating system. I've just checked the data and they are all positive. 

As a trial, I am happy to scrap the idea if it turns out worse than anticpated. 

If you look at Henk's rating (http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/member/rating.aspx?u=5) from the 4wders he went out with, I think everyone would agree that he is an ideal person to run a trip. It should give you more confidence to go out with him in the future. 

Henk
Henk (ironpipe)
26 Jul 2014

Well this rating idea makes me feel special. ;). Thx guys fpr the kind words but just doing what i love.  

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
27 Jul 2014

I agree that it might not be such a good idea, some people might get there nose out of joint. 

My sugestion would be that everyone on the trip gets a point, the more trips you do the higher your point score would be. Natural selection would have it that the people that aren't so good behind the wheel will start to drop off or only turn up to trip that they feel confident they can drive.  On the other had the higher there points score gets, the more trips they have been on, the more skills and confidence grows, the more they turn form 'Bad' to 'Good' and become valued members of any team, and that's what we are all about right, helping , learning and sharing with all in the 4wd comunity. 

If there is geneunly someone that has a attitude problem and doesn't fit the crew that's going on a '4wdtrip.com.au' event they will soon get the message and you'll see them less and less.

my 2 cents

Fraser
Fraser (ScotsMan)
27 Jul 2014

I agree that it might not be such a good idea, some people might get there nose out of joint. 

My sugestion would be that everyone on the trip gets a point, the more trips you do the higher your point score wou......

yes

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
03 Aug 2014

Initial thoughts, like those of Rigger & others, ' this is going to be a disaster.'..sad.  Then after readings Allan's comments, then Kelvins rationale as to why he wanted some sort of 'rating' system, I can fully understand where he is coming from. This is just my opinion & doesnt make it right or wrong, but hopefully you can bear with me.

A 'rating' system of drivers will only lead to a competition amongst the group that will have dire consequences. What you will find is the 'legends in their own bathwater' will do anything to try to proove that they are better than someone else. Dont get me wrong, most 4wders like a challenge from time to time, but what this may cause is that some may really 'push the boundary' just to get acceptance amongst others in the group, & their own common sense will go out the window.

Have not met Kelvin thus far, but know of him from various other forums he is on. He has started this forum, & spent many many hours getting it up & running, & I believe he doesnt want this forum to go go down the same road as 1 or 2 others, that to be perfectly frank, have done quite a bit of damage to the 4wd fraternity...angry. . Personally I was quite dissapointed in what happened on the recent get together with a vehicle in the dam & my initial thoughts were; " I dont want to be a part of a forum that think this is 'fun 4wding' & I think Kelvin is trying to ensure that this doesnt happen here....yes.

Personally, no matter how good a driver might be, I will rate them poorly if they want to drive as far as they can in 2wd rather than be smart & use 4wd on any gravel surface, drive at 'warp factor' speed & last but not least, drive into a bog hole etc when there is absolutely no chance of getting through. As I said earlier, nothing wrong with a challenge but when the chances of success are next to 'zero', what does that proove..no.

1 2   Next