Diff Lockers and why you fitted them where you did

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Steve
Steve (tasl)
24 Jul 2014

I am about to get an Elocker fitted in the next few weeks and I am wondering for people who have only one locker fitted why they chose the diff the fitted it to.

My thinking was that as locking the front diff affects steering locking the front would be a last reort situation.  So I would use the rear locker more. 

Chris
Chris (BDR)
24 Jul 2014

I've had lockers in a few differant 4wds now, and the reason for front or rear is an age old debatewink

In the Patrol, i had the LSD shimed up tight and ran a front locker, anything else though it goes rear first.

Only reason the Patrol goes front THEN rear is the fact that Nissan have the only working LSD after a week lol , you will use a rear locker more than the front, and break less as a rule too, front lockers and Cvs are not the best of friends if you get a little bit spirited.

When i get around to locling the GU, it will be front first then rear, but it will get the LSD shimmed up first.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
25 Jul 2014

I had my front airlocker fitted on my patrol 2 weeks ago. I have been delaying to fit a locker for years due to cost and potential problem running a locker. 

The result...... massively better!...... 

I fitted front locker due to the fact that patrol's LSD works very well. They always work and nothing can break. So if for some reasons my front locker doesn't work, I still have my LSD to get me out of trouble, just need to push the car harder and faster. 

I don't know how well your LSD is. I suggest you talk to people who have experience with Prado and see what they think. 

Hope this helps. 

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
25 Jul 2014

Well in my Zook i have an Automatic (LockRight) locker in the front Very muchly improved Pull the rear Diff is still an Open diff but i will get an Air locker for that but that will be down the Track (No Pun Intented) the main reason i went the Lock Right in the front was first the cost & the fact that i can unlock the front hubs when im not using 4WD having the front diff locked has help heap but having the rear locked will help out even more.

Steve
Steve (tasl)
03 Aug 2014

Action 4wd mag did a story on difflockers tried a bog hole, not locked, then front, then back, then both.  with 3 cars, and it does depend on the car