A long hot dry summer

Forum > General Discussion

Hello everyone.

It is going to be a long hot dry Summer this season. During your bush travels be wary of fire danger. Hot exhausts can start a grass fire just by parking over dry grass. Mt Hickey is burning at the moment and firefighters are having a hard time controlling it let alone putting it out. If possible listen to local ABC radio (774 AM in my area) for fire warnings and situations. 

Always carry plenty of water for both drinking and extinguishing a fire quickly. If you hear of a fire in the area you are in, call it a day and get out. Play it safe.

Enjoy your trips, just be mindful of the fire season ahead. It has come early this year.

Don.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 Oct 2015

And  make sure after EVERY camp fire it is extinguished with water and don't just drive out of camp and assume its out

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
07 Oct 2015

That's true Donald. I am shocked to see the bushfire at Cobaw area in such early day of our long hot summer. 

It would be great if you could share more of your CFA experience and tips with us.

Cheers mate. 

This is the first TFB day this early in the season, which hadn't actually started yet. The best advice I can give is be careful of hot vehicle components near and dry fire fuels. Always make 110% that any campfires are fully extinguished, fire will burn underground through tree roots etc. If a fire does start get to it before it gets out of hand, if is too gar gone get out to a mobile service area and call 000. The quicker brigades can get there the quicker they can contain it and control it. As we have all seen in the past and currently in Cobaw and Tallarook, fires can get out of hand quick and do some serious damage. I am open to questions or any advice I can give. I'm a member at Broadford and I'm watching both fires and weather.