Dennis (bigden)
03 Oct 2015

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
03 Oct 2015

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
03 Oct 2015

Bugger , those pics were there a minute ago?

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
04 Oct 2015

Well let's try again

i had my first time at cobaw last week and it was a great day

antony organised the trip but Alex had been there a bit more so took the lead. The first track was alcorns track and 100 metres in the fun started. We all walked up and had a good look. Alex said "no pressure, you decide"

now I like to think my Chinese car can keep up with the big boys, but there was no way I had the clearance to get over the rock ledges, so I had to look for a differant way up

alex on the way up

wasnt long till the first ledge stopped him and the winch came out

This was about half way up, and Alex did the rest pretty easily

next up was Wayne and he gets a bit crossed up and this is when the excitement started.

this got us running to get his winch out to stop him tipping over,  after straightening up its off again

Then up to the first ledge and the winch is needed  after Wayne struck trouble breaking a cv and axle

next up was Antony in his 79 series. There's no pics because he drove it so well , and with great wheel placement he went up and around the two ledges with little trouble

tony and I found a track to the side ( can't call it a chicken track ) and got to the top of alcorns as well

will post this and see how it goes and then continue

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
04 Oct 2015

We went round a few tracks till we came to a big bog hole .

the smart ones??? Decided that the bog hole wasn't the way to go after Alex needed to be winched out and climbed over a fallen tree to get by the hole

tony lining up

And then went over really well

Next up was me

and didn't go quite as well and I end up with 4wheels spinning in the air, out comes the winch

if only I had a bit more clearance, and finally winched off the log

after his great showing on alcorns track , Antony ends up stuck in the mud and needs recovery

some of the ruts were huge, this was somewhere over the back, maybe Mansfield track

Just so you can enjoy a pic of something not Nissan or Toyota , here's one more of my Great Wall. 

Being an old fella , I had to leave early but it was a great day. Even the 1-2 hours on 100metres of alcorns track was fun

i did send some videos to Wayne, hopefully he can post them up and they come up better than these small pics

thank Antony and Alex for organising the trip . Look forward to getting out with you all again

dennis

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
04 Oct 2015

Nice report Dennis, is a place I want to get to sooner rather than later. Just wondering, how to compare Cobaw to the Pyreness, if you have been there?.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
04 Oct 2015

No, haven't been to the Pyrenees either.

Cobaw is a small place , not steep but very rocky. From what I saw alcorns was the hardest track with big rock ledges and holes between. the rest tended to be technical driving around rocks and ledges. 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
05 Oct 2015

Awesome trip report, thank for sharing. Looks like it was a great day out, good job completing the trip without any damage. 

@Allan, Pyreness has much less tracks comparing to Cobaw. Pyreness has some very steep tracks which do require some traction aids. Cobaw has wider variety of tracks but they are relatively shorter and not as steep as those you found at Pyrenees Range. Some of the tracks at Cobaw has DEEP ruts. 

Most of the Cobaw tracks can be completed without locker or traction aid if you drive them carefully. However, it's quite likely that you will hit your underguard (bash plate) at Cobaw. 

Well, that's just my opinion. I would strong suggest you to go there and take a look. I guarantee you will love it. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
05 Oct 2015

Thanks for that Kelvin...smiley. I know Discomatt & myself still have some 'unfinished business' at the Pyreness but we both want to get to Cobaw in the near future.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
05 Oct 2015

Cobaw is rutted and good place to learn how to pick lines, but add water and it can turn to pooh pretty quickly, still fun though   :)

I may try and do a night drive out there in a month or so