16's or 17's

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Ants
Ants (Ants)
22 Jul 2014

Just a query.... I run 17inch rims and stock standard tyres on my Wrangler but have been offered some 16 rims and Mud Tyres on the rims... almost FOC and wanted to know if it would make a major difference having the smaller (but wider) tyres on? Any suggestions or advice would be helpful...

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Jul 2014

Hi mate,

I don't think it will make much difference in terms of the size (17" vs 16") BUT, it makes a huge difference if you have a set of mud tyres comparing to your standard road / AT tyres. 

If possible, get a set of mud tyres. If correct tyre pressure, they last quite long even being used for daily driving. They are a good investment. 

Steve
Steve (tasl)
29 Aug 2014

This culd allow you t run the two sets of rims.  they muddy for offroad work and the standards for the road.  Yu just have to be prepared t change the tyres before doing a trip

Grant (308)
10 Dec 2014

Ants, let me know if you get the 16's and need a extra rim. I was given a 16 rim recently by a friend but have no use for it other than hanging up the garden hose. Trade, swap or just giveaway, open to consider if you need it.

Ants
Ants (Ants)
10 Dec 2014

Thanks for the offer dude, but have found out there are brake issues changing down to the smaller rims.. hence why JK's now come standard with 17's...
Waiting on the tyres to wear thru and will put A/T's on next to play with..