Hand Grenade

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Marc
Marc (Patrol_Wigs)
24 Sep 2015

Hi all

This has probably been asked and answered a few times so apologies for asking again.... I couldn't find a search function for the forum posts.

I have a 2001 Patrol with the 3.0L Turbo Diesel.  A few people have commented to me that its known as the hand grenade but you can fix it.

Are there any tips or sites you lovely folks can recommend?

Thanks smiley

Terry
Terry (Steeler)
24 Sep 2015

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PatrolGU/

Nissan Anti Detonation System into Google and see what comes up............. Good luck. John

Ivica
Ivica (Ivica)
24 Sep 2015

http://www.mypatrol4x4.com/topic/57-nads-step-by-step-guide/

Step by step guide, but talk to people on Facebook pages for more specific help

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
24 Sep 2015

There are heaps of threads on other forums on the subject (sounds like you found some of them), but the early ZD30 engines fitted to GU series 2 had reliabillity issues and developed a reputation as a grenade that could go off with out warning at any time. Series 3 onwards are more reliable, but it still pays to take a few precautions to make sure they stay reliable.

Most engine failures seemed to be caused by fouling of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor with crank case ventilation vapours, causing the sensor to send incorrect air flow data to the engine computer. This results usually in over fueling, raising Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT's) to dangerous levels, which melts pistons and damages other engine components. Air flow into the cylinders can also be reduced (by Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) carbon combining with the PCV oil vapours building up in the inlet manifold. Reducing air flow to the cylinders makes the over fueling situation worse.

There is a series of modifications (engine saver mods) that can be done to eliminate the causes of these faults.
As Nisspat said, it's usually the 4.2 owners that call them grenades.

The best thing IMO is to monitor your exhaust temps with a guage and an alarm.  The Autronic digital ones are fantastic as you can set them to set an alarm off at a certain temperature and also a warning light.

You fit the probe into the exhaust system and run it as normal and see what temps YOUR engine runs at.  Then, set the alarm to go off 100deg higher than that.

It also helps when you are towing a camper as the temps can get up there on hills etc. 

For the 3L patrol, like lots of diesels, a mandrel bent exhaust and dump pipe get rid of the gases faster and can help them run cooler so every bit of help is good.

For the sake of argument there are enough out there that have overfuelled and died that its worth making the effort IMO.

Marc
Marc (Patrol_Wigs)
24 Sep 2015

Thanks folks. All good info.

i love my truck so I'm keen to make all the necessary changes... Cheers

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
24 Sep 2015

Message deleted by the author.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
25 Sep 2015

Look up. A company called 4x4 Obsesions. They do kits to prevent this from happening. This includes an EGR blanking plate and a Dawes Valve to prevent the turbo from spiking. I am sure they have a short youtube video that expaind. I think they call it the NAD kit. You will also get good advice from PatrolaPart on how to address tbe issue. You have got a great vehicle and with a a few preventative mods (under $1k) it will likely give you many years of reliable 4WDing. Take care.