'Reccy Run' to Toolangi.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
19 Sep 2015

After my 'coffee fix' at the Yarra Glen Bakery, got back to the Paj & had a message on my phone from Big Al (BigPig). "Finished my chores at work & noticed you still had a spare spot, so on my way & see you in 20 mins"...laugh.

It was around 9.15am when we all met at McKenzie Reserve & did the introductions etc. What was surprising it was the 1st trip I had been on where we didnt have a 'Nissan'....laugh. As well as Big Al joining the trip late, we had a new member, Ryan, who had just joined the forum the night before. Ryan is from Nth Qld & had just purchased a Disco which he was going to drive back home later in the week. As well as Big Al & Ryan, others joining us were Jason (jasb) in his well set up Ranger, Ivica (Ivan) & Fikre & partner Yvette both in V8 Landcruisers. We had our drivers briefing after waiting a while for one person who did not turn up...frown & then made our way to Marginal Rd where we all aired down.

I decided we would try a 'short cut' to our 1st track of the day; not one we will use for our Beginners day next month. A little steep, but the side angles had a few of the less experienced drivers not overly comfortable.

Jason.

Fikre

Ryan

We then got onto the main track & made our way to Flats Track which used to be a nice track, but is now nothing to rave about. After completing Flats Tk, there was a bit of a drive to our next track, Not Much Help Tk. About 50 mtrs into the track there is a huge boghole on the left, but has a bypass track on the right that has fairly deep ruts with a couple of tree roots protuding out of the bank. It took us quite a while to get a few of the vehicles through this section with a couple requiring gentle snatch recoveries & a bit of digging to get to Ryan's recovery points.

This was now another track that was crossed off the list for Mark's Beginners trip in October.

1st section of Not Much Help Track.

A "JEEP' recovering a 'LANDCRUISER'.

We were finally almost through, then a motorbike arrived with the rider saying there was about a dozen cars at the next boghole section with most winching to get through....surprise. We went down to have a look, and as we were now a couple of hours behind schedule we decided to turn around and make our way back heading towards the next track.

More to come.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
19 Sep 2015

Next track was Lukes Creek No.1. Quite a nice track that is suitable for beginners with a little ledge half way down the track. Finally a track suitable for the Beginners Day....wink.

At the bottom of this track, we had a late lunch and then made our way to the final few tracks of the day. Didnt go quite as planned, but still a nice drive with some fantastic views from the top of the ridge. The 'vehicle group' shot.

Someone in the group had mentioned Rocky Track a few times throughout the day, so we made our way back to that track, just to keep someone happy...cheeky

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
19 Sep 2015

Al thanks for allowing me to join at the very last minute, a fun day was had by all, with 4 of the 6 joining a trip for the first time,it was a pleasure to meet you all.

I was happy to take Ryan up rocky track in the Big Pig as he only had a standard 2003 Disco, thanks again Al.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
19 Sep 2015

Many on this forum will know the 'infamous Rocky Track' in Toolangi. Is a great track that has a few options available for either the less experienced driver or those who have vehicles that do not have big tyres/suspension lift/lockers etc. It is not a track I would want to take a standard vehicle, but many have tried; some with success and many with scars from unsuccessful attempts....sad.

As we arrived at the track, the comment from those who had never seen this track was; "F*@k, it is rocky"...wink.

I drove up to the half way point where I stopped to get some pics of Big Al coming up in the 'pig'. Ryan had already decided, and rightly so, he wasnt going to attempt it in his Disco as it was totally standard & he had to drive it back to Townsville. He jumped in with Al & when they returned, he had a huge grin from 'ear to ear'.

The other guys decided they all wanted to have a go at it. As all vehicles had at least one diff lock with good clearance I thought ok & with a bit of spotting etc, they all made it to the half way point without any major dramas, even though there was a bit of 'crash/bash' of undercarriages on the odd occasion. A great job by all.

Was an enjoyable day and great to meet some more members from the forum. Most of the participants were fairly new to the 4wding hobbie and all were very responsible and willing to accept advice/suggestions, as well as ask questions.

Now I will have to go and revise some of the tracks planned for Marks Beginners trip....frown; maybe we should go to Tallarook Mark.

Ivica
Ivica (Ivica)
20 Sep 2015

First i i had a absolutely amazing time, i would like to thank Allan (allan mac) for taking the time to organize such great day. Allan (allan mac) and Allan (BigPig) thank you both for thanking the time to show the new guys how to have fun safe day out on the tracks. Great day, meet new people and go to put my 4wd low. Couldn't imagine a better day out. Cant wait till next trip.

Fikre
Fikre (Arsenal)
20 Sep 2015

What a day! Big thanks to Allan (allanmac) and Allan (bigPig) for organising such a wonderful day trip. I have to admit, on Friday evening I was very close to bail out from a fear of trashing my new pride and joy. I'm so glad I made it. The two Allans were very responsible, passionate 4wders and very generous on sharing their knowledge with us rookies! This trip has also provided me a freedom! The wife has said to me that she will never come along for any similar trip. No more nagging machine on board haha. Just me and my dog! 

i also get to meet top blokes who shared their knowledge. Cannot wait for the next trip. 

Ps the jeep never rescued the land cruiser, it was the other way around. The LC pulled the jeep. 😜

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
20 Sep 2015

Glad to hear you both enjoyed the trip Ivan & Fikre and look forward to seeing you guys on some future trips. Was great to have Big Al help out on the day and Rocky Track at the end was a great finish to a good day.

PS: Sorry about some of the pics, but had been experimenting with camera settings & it seems most are a little over exposed....frown

Jason
Jason (jasb)
21 Sep 2015

Thanks allan for organising a great day out and giving us all confidence to do some of the harder tracks which are probably easy for most others. I had a ball. This was my first trip out with 4wd trip and i cant speak highly enough of both allan (allanmac) and allan (bigpig) for guiding us throughout the day.
Hope to catch up on another trip soon.