'Extreme' Trip Rating.

Forum > General Discussion
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Sep 2015

Just thinking out aloud here, but wondering if it is worth considering adding a 'EXTREME' to the trip rating system?. Whilst it wont be used all that often, I am sure there will be a few trips similar to those to Ellis Track that are worthy of that rating. I might be wrong, but some have seen this trip posted by Kelvin & Simon and put their hans up without knowing exactly how hard it is going to be, even though Kelvin did explain how hard the track is and the possible consequences.

For 'extreme tracks, such as Ellis, I would have a pretty rigid criteria;

WINCH - (That is a 'give me')

MINIMUM TYRE SIZE  & TYPE - (33" minimum & muddies)

LOCKERS/and or TRACTION AIDS.

MINIMUM EXPERIENCE - (At least 2 years)

As I said, extreme trips may not come up all that often, but something to consider I believe.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
16 Sep 2015

I thought that was the criteria for hard trips. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Sep 2015

I thought that was the criteria for hard trips. 

Understand that Antony, but every now & then a track like Ellis for example, is at least one step up from what would be classified as a hard trip to the likes of Toolangi, Cobaw, Pyreness etc. As I said, I doubt it would be used all that often, but at least  it is there so there is absolutely no 'grey' areas in the trip criteria.

Maybe I am looking too much into this, but on 'hard trips' the criteria is 'very experienced drivers, well set up vehicles, winch etc etc', but often some participants dont meet all the criteria required, whether it be experience, vehicle set up etc etc; in other words is open to interpretation.  Anyway, again no big deal to me one way or another, but just looking at any way that the operators of the forum can 'cover their arses' in the event something unforeseen happens. This has happened on other forums & with a few clubs in the past & has got somewhat messy, so now most clubs etc have an extremely strict criteria when it comes to running trips classified as 'hard/extreme'.

Anyway, as I said, just my thoughts.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
17 Sep 2015

I thought it fairly obvious that hard will be possibly hard and that those who are keen to go know what to expect and have already got reasonably set up vehicles. Anyone running a trip is more than likely going to explain what is required to participate in their description.  Im a strong beleiver in being self recoverable on all trips, not just hard, winch should be on any car going bush imo. 

Darren
Darren (nuttbag007)
24 Sep 2015

I've ran a hard trip and to be honest I had half the group wasn't capable of doing a hard trip and subsequently had to modify the days plans. I've noticed some doing the Ellis trip are doing it without at least one locker. Doing the chicken tracks just wastes a place on a hard trip.  My next hard trip I run I will be screening people wanting to go. I like the idea of an extreme choice 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Sep 2015

I've ran a hard trip and to be honest I had half the group wasn't capable of doing a hard trip and subsequently had to modify the days plans. I've noticed some doing the Ellis trip are doing it without at least one locker. Doing the......

Noticed that also in relation to the Ellis trip Darren. At least there are two of us who think a 'Extreme' rating will eliminate any 'grey' areas and not cause similar issues that you had on your trip...sad

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
10 Oct 2015

Yep with you Allan, there is a BIG difference in a hard trip and somthing like Ellis, anyone attempting Ellis without lockers and / or 36 in tyres obvously has never been there and seen it, eitherthat or they just dont care what happens to thier car.

A extreme rating is a great ideayes

Darren
Darren (nuttbag007)
10 Oct 2015

A good example is the Ellis Challenge. There is a bloke on 32" and no lockers taking up space on the first trip. If it is a littlke wet he wont even make it up the chicken track. Another one says he has a winch but I know he hasn't. I'm thinking about going early driving Ellis then parking up top and walking down to watch the joke as these try hards try something WELL beyond their car and their personal ability. As a trip organizer I want to be able to remove a person from a trip thier car (or themself) isn't going to cut it or is just going to unreasonably slow the rest down

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
10 Oct 2015

I agree, as a trip leader if a car and driver was not suited to to any described trip I would ask them to consider the impact on the others in the group at the start of the trip BUT the flip side is that I have seen very un assuming drivers in standard looking 4bys outdrive know it alls with big lift and big tyre 4bys with all the bar work and bolt on crap so its not as simple as it might first appear