Wonnangatta - APRIL 2016

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Tc
Tc (toncastr)
16 Sep 2015

Preferences

Preferences

Its always been my goal. So I am seeing whether people are interested in April next year. Probably a 3 or 4 day trip - involving a weekend and 1  or 2 week days (avoiding a busy long weekend). So lots of warning so if you want to join - as you'll need to take a day or two off.

One crucial thing is to see whether its possible to do this without HARD driving. I know Zeka Spur, Wombat Range Track and Billy Goat Bluff are all VERY DIFFULT (or DIFFICULT). 

So the first question - is it possible on slightly modified 4WD's and what are the risks of damage?

MAX 10 vehicles with ideally some of the 4WDTRIP legends like Kelvin, Tony Dakar and Antony (Peloza 79)(they are the ones I know).

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
16 Sep 2015

I was thinking of running a similar trip later this year tony. Haven't been in the Wonnangatta for a few years now but from memory wombat range and zeka spur weren't that hard, some steep sections but the tracks were in good condition. That was the way I was thinking about heading in and out. Will be going up there cup weekend so will see what they are like now. If you make the trip on an rdo weekend would love to tag along

Adam
Adam (Captain)
17 Sep 2015

Hi Tony,

It will come down to how many km's you want to do per day, where you plan to start and finish each day, Easter this year we drove from South east Melb to Licola to Wonnangatta on the friday via Macalister river track, Butcher country which was closed at Butcher link so we had to detour via Dingo hill and Kellys track out to the main dirt road to the top of Zeka, we got to Wonnangatta around 430-5 so was a longish day.I wouldn't class Zeka Spur as a difficult track its just rocky and slow going with a few tight switch backs (Take your time and you shouldnt have any issues). Last time out of the vally we went Herne spur which at Easter had a couple of interesting spots but there was a near stock Narvara in a group behind us that didnt seem to have any issuses. Wombat Range is generally a bit ruffer track but not as steep as Herne spur. A mate did Billy goats a few weeks ago and said it wasnt to bad but what will it be like in six months is any ones guess. Plan where you want to get to each night give yourself a little extra time incase of any problems. Also have a back up camp spot in case to get held up, Any way thats just may thoughts.

Tc
Tc (toncastr)
17 Sep 2015

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Thank you Antony and Adam. Some really good insights. 

Antony I'd really welcome someone with your calibre of experience on the trip. So if we go ahead - I would try and work the dates around somehow. Will be good to hear your feedback from November - although as you said up at Tallarook - its amazing how a track can change even during the day. As Adam said - who knows how anytrack will be in 6 months.

Adam my preference would be to go slowly just to minimise rushing and feeling under pressure to get certain kms in a certain time. Too much pressure gets people to do things they may not normally do. 

My new Navara arrives in a couple of weeks. It will have a spare set of Goodyear MTR 32's following Kelvin's advice on the most important modification. I am still trying to use Tony Dakars approach on getting the ARB Front & Rear Bars. Won't be as capable as all of you with lift kits - and won't touch Antony's Cruiser - but at least it should handle things like this.

The logic for APRIL is a mix of FIRE RISK (lower), WEATHER (should be dry but not too hot) and TRAFFIC (outside Easter - should be quieter). But I'm flexible. 

G'day Tony,

Depending on dates i could be interested in tagging along on this trip if there is a spot free. Great part of the country and always keen to get back out there. I am happy to a casual drive not rushing, and enjoying the country!

Joel

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
17 Sep 2015

tony , i am another one that would be interested if its not long days of driving.

its been a few years since ive been there but going in  wombat range and out zeka spur is relatively easy. if the thought was zeka spur was to hard for some you can go out to the north via rileys. you dont need to do billy goat bluff and you can go past hernes spur and down the next one(cant remember track name)

just depends how hard you want to make it

last time i was there we camped at talbotville and had an easy drive into wonnangatta and camped early afternoon at the old hut . then a relaxed day up zeka and home via licola

dennis

()
17 Sep 2015

I'm interested for that trip,zeka  spur isn't hard we had a off road trailer tent with us last time there,he had no problems towing it up the track,just some smashed eggs,pasta sauce,mixed in the kitchen draw

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Sep 2015

Tony, you have a few options available, especially if you are basing this trip on having a number of fairly stock vehicles taking part. If that is the case, forget the route from Licola to Wonnangatta via Macalister & Butcher Country tracks. Great tracks, but not really suitable for standard vehicles. Two other options are from Licola up Tamboritha/Howitt Rd to Zeka Spur and down into Wonnangatta. Is a reasonably boring drive up to Zeka Spur, but from Licola this route should take you no more than 3-4 hrs to get to the 'Valley'. Another easy option, which many use to get to Wonnangatta is up the Hume then through Mrytleford etc.

As you said, April is not a bad time to go as generally the rivers will be quite low, but some of the tracks will be 'worse for wear' after all the traffic going through over the Xmas/summer period.

()
17 Sep 2015

Or you could go via dargo,grant ,crooked river with 22 small river crossings,talbotville good camp spot,wombat spur,Wonnangatta,zeka track,licola,

Adam
Adam (Captain)
17 Sep 2015

Tony, you have a few options available, especially if you are basing this trip on having a number of fairly stock vehicles taking part. If that is the case, forget the route from Licola to Wonnangatta via Macalister & Butcher Country tracks......

Yeah i wasn's suggesting to take Macalister or Butcher country, Just mearly saying thats the way we went. You could also take Kellys track off Tamboritha/Howitt RD to break up the boring gravel road, Kellys Hut is a nice place for lunch.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
17 Sep 2015

if you wanted to tick off billy goat bluff track you could start and finish in licola and go down billy goat bluff.

its a much easier drive going down than going up.

i did it some years ago in a stock 1985 jackaroo

dennis

Tc
Tc (toncastr)
17 Sep 2015

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Thank you so much for your interest and feedback. Thanks yesterday Antony and Adam. Thank you also for the perspectives from Dennis, Allan, Garry and Joel. 

So it seems possible that we can indeed take stock 4WD's (with of course recovery points) on a good LONG weekend (good long weekend means a quiter weekend) to navigate some of the tracks as well as enjoy a few nights under the stars.

I'll wait and see for a few more days to gauge other interest to give everyone on 4WDTRIP a chance to read and consider. I will then directly contact two of our more experienced leaders (like Tony Dakar, Antony [peloza] and Kelvin) to see when & whether they can join and be there as strong experienced support. I will take there advice and councel to plan the trip. So that means there will be room for 7 other vehicles. Ideally - I would like the ratio of 1:1 modified to stock vehicles - so that if you don't have a electric winch - we can use others to help (or yours truly can get a work out with the trusty TIRFOR - as long as the person who needs to get pulled out understands they are up for beers all round that night)

The trip will be aimed at those with stock vehicles with of course some of those exceptional modified ones as well within our group. Which does mean we'll need to look at RAIN the previous week for river crossings as well as current track conditions. I would LOVE to have it targetted as BEGINNER - but suspect some of those steeper sections may mean we need some experience (as there really may not be any turning back and we cannot jeopardise others). For those who do want to go for some tougher tracks - we'll work out ways to accommodate and so that everyone can still enjoy.

You will need to be self sufficient on camping - although that said - I'm sure there are some who have things they can share. Rather than replicate all the eating / cleaning items - I'd propose we'll set-up a group kitchen / eating area. Which will mean less double up - for some no need to buy things. But you will need a bed and something over you. 

Comms wise - it'll be the standard UHF - although I would like to ensure we have a SAT PHONE within the group - in case of any major emergencies. Having had a massive Tiger Snake have a go at my leg in December (bit the thick sock - didn't penetrate - bloody lucky) - and due to the remoteness - well I'd like fast support.

So - please keep those ideas coming forward. And I will post on this when I will post the TRIP (and when) - and then open it up (it'll be at least 24 hours later). 

Just like the OLYMPIC GAMES - I would aim to make this your best 4WDTRIP yet! And as the leader - I would like to gain perspectives from everyone - final advice from my 4WDTRIP LEGENDS - and then decide on the plan for the group. Hope all of that makes good sense and meets with your support and the vaues at 4WDTRIP!

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
19 Sep 2015

Sounds like a great trip , I'd be keen to get on depending on dates.

Tc
Tc (toncastr)
25 Sep 2015

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Sorry but I have decided to take a break from 4WDTRIP. I encourage others to pick up the baton on this trip!