Maintaining throttle control

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Ricky
Ricky (R1XSTA)
09 Sep 2015

Hi all.

I am new to 4wd'ing and don't have a lot of experience behind me. My nissan patrol is a manual, and I am having some difficulty with maintaining proper throttle control while going up/down a track where necessary and my car can be quite jolty when the throttle is constantly changing to open/close throttle

A friend of mine told me to put a sponge under my accelerator as it will require force to push it down and maintain that position, while also won't be easily moved while getting thrown around in/on ruts/rocks. 

What tips do you use to maintain throttle control?

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
09 Sep 2015

Hi Rick,

I would not recommend to use sponge (or anything that can move between pedals and the firewall). Honestly I don't think it's safe. It may help a bit for your control on throttle but that object (sponge) may accidentally move behind the brake and clutch pedals. You may not lose control but ....there are risk. 

Try to adjust your seat position (angle and distance), it will help. It takes some time to get used or find the best position. 

You may consider to the increase the idling speed to say 1000 rpm (make sure you turn it down when coming down hill) if you know you are going to "crawl" up a track. 

The speed you are tackling the obstacle will also affect the throttle (Faster = Less control). 

It will take you months or years to get the best techniqe but you will know how your car behave on certain terrain and tracks. 

Hope this helps. 

Kelvin

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
09 Sep 2015

The easy as way I know how to fix it is to put a stronger spring on the accelerartor. 

Vince (Vince)
09 Sep 2015

Hi I normally press the side of my 

boot on the side wall to provide resistance

Dave
Dave (disco)
09 Sep 2015

Gday Jim,

A simple method I use is to place/jam my foot against the side of the foot well and pedal. (Side wall) That way your foot does not move up and down with the car. Once you get used to it you can go up the hill very smooth. I wear boots so it is easier with them, runners would also be ok too.

Regards
Dave

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
09 Sep 2015

I'm not 100% sure but don't most Patrol's have a hand throttle ???? Mine does even though it doesn't work its there. 

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
09 Sep 2015

Don't use a hand throttle. If you need to stop quickly because your wheels are spinning, going up a rock and car starts rolling, car is sliding sideways etc. you will effectively have an accelerator stuck on. Not safe!

Andrew Wale
Andrew Wale (awale)
09 Sep 2015

I used to drive Australian Army Unimogs in the Army Reserve.

The instructors (your frindly Corporal) always used to yell at us to lock your ankle against the right hand side of the cabin near the foot peddal. It minimises the jolty movement.

That worked really well when traversing rocks, and ruts  etc. I follow this now when I am off road. It really does work.

P.S It does not matter if it is a Manual or Auto. If you do not lock your ankle correctly, there will always be movement.

Dylan
Dylan (Heno79)
09 Sep 2015

Hi Rick, welcome to the bottomless money pit that is offroading!

As the boys above mentioned, i use the same technique of locking my foot against the side. The other thing i noticed early on is if you just use your toes on the peddle you seem to bounce a bit more so i try and use as much of my foot as low down as possible so instead of ankle in the side wall its my toes pressed against that and the lower part of my foot controlling the throttle. sounds odd and not achievable on all vehicles but with the tight confines of the Landy it works pretty well.

()
09 Sep 2015

Just rest your leg against the door,and side of foot against kick panel,just practice it and see whats a acomfortable position,it won't take long to get in that habit,your hand thottle can be used to for walking up hills,that's what it was designed for,and it's handy to learn left foot braking for both Going up and down hills ,using left foot braking to edge up or down a step or rock

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
09 Sep 2015

I agree with Gary above......

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
09 Sep 2015

Dont let your foot hover(heel off ground). Keep your heel down and rest your leg against the door.

Warren
Warren (campin40)
09 Sep 2015

Exactly what Dave said. Wear heavy boots and hold your foot against the side of the kick panel..

Hi Rick

Would checking the throttle cable, ease of movement from pedal to engine, unearth any snags? If you're not being chased by a life threatening scenario over such lumpy terrain - would lowering tyre pressure while using low range & slowing down ease the ride.

Cheers - enjoy the scenery.

John
John (Evltd)
10 Sep 2015

i find the hand throttle to work very well on the patrols never had a dramma if you set the rpm before taking of

1 2   Next