4x4 High Country trip for 4x4's that have time.

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Jim
Jim (JimMc)
16 Aug 2015

Hi I’m retired and have had over 40 years 4x4 experience. I would like to know if any one would like to go on weeklong trip through Victoria High Country, I would like to go and do Hunted Stream, Crooked River and Billy goat Bluff and from there down to Eldon, the idea for the trip is to go when the workers are at work and not in school holidays or on a long weekend so we can have the place to our self, I do not rush I don’t have to, if there is any place that you would like to see on the trip let me know and we can work out a trip plan for when the gates open. If you like to go let me know your thoughts and we can work out a time and date along with a trip plan.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
17 Aug 2015

Geez I tell you what Jim I can't wait for the day when I can pack some camping gear and head out for a week, I hope you get a few others to go with.

Message deleted by the author.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
19 Aug 2015

HI Kevin

Do I think a week-long trip is for you being a newbie? You bet This is the best way to learn the 4x4 tricks as you don't have a large group pushing you on we can spent time working out how to get through the fun bits so the answer is Yes you would have a great time, I will be driving over areas that I have not been to for some years, so we will find a lot of new and diferent problums to get through, you will need the camping gear, and most imporantent  you MUST HAVE Recovery kit scanch strap extendesion strap,  tree strap, winch damper and recovery points front and back on the 4x4, 80ch UHF CB and handheld CB, if you can scanch block, winch, and chain saw it would be good but if I have them, maps are allways good to have.  

It is not allways easy to get fuel so long range tank (or jerry cans) and a must for 4x4 in the high country is cold weather clothing, I allways carry more food than I need in case I get stuck (river floods etc) water, I always have a fire blanket for each persion in the 4x4 in the fire seasion for saftey you never know when and where bushfires may start .  

It is allways good to have all the gear, but I have spent many years getting gear and I can tell you that the list can be more costley the a new 4x4, so hear what I think you should try to get for any trips up into the High Country.

4x4 recovery kit

Snatch strap

Extesion strap

1x Winch Damper

Snatch Block

Drag Chain

I allways have two 25mm x 400mm wodden pegs to join and scatch straps ect

Tyer pump

150 PSI tyre gage

Chain saw

From hear on most of the gear is great to have but how long a bit of string. 

If you got time I got some video's up on YouTube of diferent trips I had over the years  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs1mp-7EQnNFuBI85iJUCqg/videos  

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
19 Aug 2015

Geez I tell you what Jim I can't wait for the day when I can pack some camping gear and head out for a week, I hope you get a few others to go with.

Hi It's a hard life but someone has to do it.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
20 Aug 2015

Jim, an old bloke that travels slowly, sounds perfect to me. While Ime not retired yet it's not far away 

so when are you planning on going and for how long? 7 days is to long for me but maybe 4-5 or even do part of the trip with you. I've never been to haunted stream area so would be interested

If you could give an idea on dates maybe we could join in. 

Dennis

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
21 Aug 2015

Dennes

I'm open for the time I go, and if you like you could meet me some where on the road, I'm easy but I don't wand to go the high fire danger part of the year, next year I will going back to the Center of Australia for about one month, I'm still working on the trip plan, so I not be able to go after Jan 2016.   

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
21 Aug 2015

i guess it would have to be november after all the tracks are open?