Rated recovery points??

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Previous   1 2
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
26 Aug 2015

I have never heard of a pin breaking but if that is the case oops sorry for the bad advice. As far as the width of the strape most I have seen are a bugger to get in because they are just as wide as the tow point.

As stated they are cheap so you might as well buy one and they are handy because you can use a hook or shackel, which in itself makes it MORE dangerous....

Thank you for your replies. Guess I'm out of things for a month or so til I can afford proper recovery points. The bullbar was on the car when I bought it, which doesn't mean it has high tensile bolts. The winch itself is mounted with high tensile bolts as I mounted it. A few hundred dollars for a full set of recovery points will have to wait til my centerlink advance in January :(

()
26 Aug 2015

Donald, these are made for your vehicle http://www.marks4wd.com/rpnav22.html

Hitch http://www.marks4wd.com/recovery-gear/rth001kit.html

Total of $129, that's not too bad

That does look like good prices I agree, but I will have to wait until I have the spare $.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
26 Aug 2015

You still have the winch so if you get stuck there is no issue and IMO you could get away without proper recovery points at the front for the time beeing. Just a little more thought needs to go into how you would be recovered and where in the convoy you would be positioned.

Not as though you will be going out and doing extreem rock crawling and massive bog holes

Very true Matt, rock crawling over big rocks is 100% out of the question, as are bog holes that will swallow anything above the axles.

Steve
Steve (tasl)
02 Sep 2015

So asking for rear recovery poins, on a beginers trips seems a bit harsh.  The point of a beginer trip is to introduce the beginer to 4wding.  

If on the trip a rear recovery is required then as long as each car has a Hayman reese towbar hitch and other drivers in the convoy have a recovery fitting, then this ould be used for a rear snatch recovery.   Yes I understand that each vehicle should have their own recovery gear, Snatch strap, rated shackles etc  But in a beginner situation this gear could be shared.  

The front recovery point though are bolted on the vehicle, so cant be shared.  But it should be either winch and/or reovery point.  If the vehile has a winch then you have another option to being snatched out.  

()
02 Sep 2015

So asking for rear re

()
02 Sep 2015

Message deleted by the author.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
02 Sep 2015

Not really supporting this idea. I'm a beginner basically but I have ensured my vehicle has correct recovery points and equipment. For my vehicle that means an equaliser bridle for front snatching and a tow hitch for the Hayman Reece. All of which are rated.

If you want to go 4wding - and be supported by this community - then regardless of your experience you should invest in gear to make it safe for yourself and your trip companions.

An "easy" trip can still result in a stuck vehicle and require recovery. Don't take the risk of having an incorrect recovery point becoming a deadly missile into your cabin.

()
02 Sep 2015

() wrote:

My Ranger had a big ass thick hook, but it wasn't rated, so off it came and on went two rated points that actually look weaker.

I think for 99.9% of beginner trips rated points aren't needed, a balance of being a sensible driver and if there is a stuck vehicle in a minor way rated points probably are not needed. On a beginner trip, you really shouldn't be in a position where you are going to get stuck anyway. I would like to think a beginner trip gives you a taste into 4wding with a few roughish tracks and muddy bits without freaking anyone out, if they like it, then proceed to the next level.

But if a driver decides to go past beginner level then rated points should be purchased.

()
02 Sep 2015

I have been 4wding on and off for 20 years. I have never needed to be winched or snatched out, but there is always a first time for everything. I'm on a pension and don't have money to splash around and buy every single thing needed to go out 4wding before I go, it takes a long time to build up on a limited income, especially over 9 years of limited income. 

As I said earlier, I will just sit back and wait till I have all requirements for a trip. In the meantime, I will go out alone as I can afford to, just to get out of the house.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
03 Sep 2015

Ive come across many a car stuck in a bog (mainly in Wombat) that has needed to be recovered. People out by themselves, no recovery gear etc, stuck/suctioned in the mud. It takes a fair amount of force to break that suction sometimes to get them out. You want to know that theres a good strong anchor to attach to. On a steep hill where a car has either broken down or gone off track, the amount of force working against the hook and strap is alot. Whether an experienced driver or a newbie, doesnt matter, a good recovery point is a given imo, especially if you dont have a winch and rely on other people to get you out. Dont have to be on a hard track to run off the road and get in a bad position, happens on main roads to.

cheers.

Previous   1 2