Your Favourite Track.

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
1 2   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Jul 2015

This is a off shoot of Kelvin's thread 'Iconic Tracks', but it would be interesting to hear what track  forum members say is their 'favourite' & reason why. It does not have to be hard or a huge challenge that requires winching, diff locks, big tyres etc etc, but a track that you enjoy going back to time after time.

I was going through my many pictures & videos recently & said to myself; Of all the tracks you have driven," what is the favourite". Many to choose from, the high country, Toolangi, Tallarook etc, but the one that wins 'hands down' is one in my favourite area being Walhalla.

Fultons Creek Track.

This track has absolutely everything, especially if you drive it from start to finish. It has some steep ascents & descents, numerous river crossings, (a couple can be deep),, some rocky sections as well as the odd slippery section. This is probably one of the few tracks I never get bored of driving.

So what is yours?

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
30 Jul 2015

So many to choose from Allan.  My favorite use to be the Óld Strezleki Track' in central Australia.  A beautiful fast sandy track with many options.   Also- Cockpit at Toolangi.  But now (having been there for the first time last month), I would have to agree with you on Fultons Creek Track. It is one of those that has a bit of everything and will keep you focused on the job at hand.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
30 Jul 2015

Well Al you realy got my brain going now, and your right about Fultons, has a bit of everything, my bit of everything track would be Mitchells out of Jamison, I also love a great view so Billy Goats Bluff and Blue Rag Range tracks are right up there , but the one I always go back too is steep and technical ,the tightest switchbacks often climbs above snow line and is only about 1000mts long, BARKLEY RIVER JEEP TRACK, all 3 of my Big Pigs have been up it more than once,so there you have it.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
31 Jul 2015

Well Al you realy got my brain going now, and your right about Fultons, has a bit of everything, my bit of everything track would be Mitchells out of Jamison, I also love a great view so Billy Goats Bluff and Blue Rag Range tracks are right up ......

Al, Barkley River Jeep Track is one that has been on my 'bucket list' for a few years now. Every report I have read/heard is that it is a track that will 'test your sense of humour' ie, have never heard anyone say it is a 'piece of cake'.

Damon
Damon (ourtrol)
31 Jul 2015

Year I must agree with you guys walhalla is a great area close to home, a massive variety and that's one of the wonderful things about living in Australia. Some tracks I love in that area are Trig track it's close just over the Thompson, has very steep ascents and descents, a beautiful swimming hole at the bottom and 12 tight switch backs. I also love the tracks around Dargo billy goats bluff, basalt knob track and blue rage range track. And lastly some tracks around the corner from home in bunyip state park for the hard core 4wder. Andersons, western track, gentle anny, tea tree, little bunyip, robsons creek track, bulloch link track and sisters track.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 Aug 2015

There is no way I could name a favourite, there are way to many that tick too many boxes!! Anything that requires inch perfect wheel placement to get up, love a good muddey and slipery challenge and love a great view at the end, anything steep up or down.

one of the best aspects of a challenging track is the team work and mateship that it takes to get all the cars through safely.

What might have been a favourite last year might have had our hard earned taxes wasted on fixxing it so no more challenge, and all in the name of fire fighting, bah what a load of BS as if a well maintained track makes any difference on a 40 degree day and a 1000 hectare fire....

if they let nature take its coarse, the Aussie bush has been going up in flames since the dawn of time...

Sorry tracks....

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
01 Aug 2015

Year I must agree with you guys walhalla is a great area close to home, a massive variety and that's one of the wonderful things about living in Australia. Some tracks I love in that area are Trig track it's close just over the Thompson......

Couldn't agree more! ... It's a 4wder paradise..... we really have to protect our bush for our next generation. 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
01 Aug 2015

Too many....but one really stand out is "Deep Creek No.1" at Walhalla. 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 Aug 2015

Yep done a lot around Wallhalla and never get sick of it, have done Deep Creek 1 to many times to remember but always love it

One of my favorites would be Crooked River Track near Talbotville river crossings and driving up the river is always fun. There are to many it is hard to name one favorite.

Hi all 

being new to 4x4 driving in Vic are happy to do whatever everyone is doing if it fits into our plans. Due to work committments 

it does get hard for Friday nights 

Chris & Greg 

Christo
Christo (Lotriet)
01 Aug 2015

Hi all..... My favourite track must be Haunted Stream .....stunning !

()
01 Aug 2015

Message deleted by the author.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
02 Aug 2015

So many tracks, so little time!

Telegraph track was great but so was driving into Wonnangatta via crooked river.

an easy drive like twins jeep track then spending the night camped on the Buckland river with a few beers is good

just don't know how to find a favourite , guess I will just have to get out more

Gazza mentioned burgoynes track, never been there but it sounds great for a 1/2 nighter. Now there's a trip idea when the tracks open

dennis

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
02 Aug 2015

So many tracks, so little time!

Telegraph track was great but so was driving into Wonnangatta via crooked river.

an easy drive like twins jeep track then spending the night camped on the Buckland river with a few beers is ......

Burgoines is not seasonally closed, though the Macalister river can get impassable. It's a beautiful spot though, definitely one of my favourite places to camp. 

1 2   Next