Reccy runs for new trips around Vic.

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Previous   1 2 3   Next
Robin
Robin (Robin80series)
23 Jul 2015

when r u planning ..i might be in

Jamie
Jamie (Garell)
23 Jul 2015

First post for me on this forum. 

Thought I would let you in on some tracks we found in Tallarook, as it has been mentioned above.

We did a few tracks in Tallarook last Sunday (19/07/15). Took  two Patrol's with muddies and my Hilux on highway terrain tires. I did everything they did, bar one Bog hole.

These are some tracks we did. 

• Cable / Brandy track (dirty great bog hole - I took the first chicken track, the Patrol's took the main track)
  • Gravel pit Track
  • Caddell Track ( rocky step up - again i did it on road tires)
  • Rocky Track
  • Tehans No.3 Track
  • Tehans No.2 Track
  • Brandy Cnr Rd
  • Far Flung track (bog hole, rather deep)

All of these tracks are easy to medium tracks. If I can do it, you can. Just lower tire pressures, think about it and you should be good.

Tehans No.2 Track splits at a point and you go left or right. My advice, don't go left, unless you are mad, in my view its just a gnarl, rocky, rough, hard, mean, vicious track. 

Anyway that's my two bobs worth.

I live near Tallarook and been through a few tracks there. I used to drive the Lerdederg tracks 20 yrs ago in an FJ55 Land Cruiser. I would be very keep on helping out with either of those 2. Never been to Walhalla, have no idea where it actually is.

First post for me on this forum. 

Thought I would let you in on some tracks we found in Tallarook, as it has been mentioned above.

We did a few tracks in Tallarook last Sunday (19/07/15). Took  two Patrol's w......

Hi Jamie, if that bog hole is the one I'm thinking of, I gave it a miss too, I heard that some GU's with a 4" lift on 37's didn't make it through. It was off Ennis Rd just before Caddell on the left. I was up there myself, late afternoon, in a blue Navara dual cab ute. Caddell track was easy for me also on Dueller A/T no lift no lockers.

Peter
Peter (Wildtrack)
24 Jul 2015

Yes would certainly be interested.

I also have a printed trek through Lerdederg that dates back to 1989. the Trek is Moderate to hard Back then, 37 km and estimated time of 2 hrs onwards, depending on weather etc. it goes from Greendale to Blackwood including Short Cut Tk, Sardine Ck crossing, Chettle Rd, Amblers Lane Tk,  and a few runs on O'Brien Rd. Some steep, some rutted, some rocky. When I was last there, XL track was a great track to test driver and vehicle capability, but I did only have an 84 Subaru Touring Wagon back then too :)

Jeff
Jeff (jeffa)
24 Jul 2015

Would definantly be interested in a reccy run to Lerderderg.

Leigh
Leigh (Mux)
24 Jul 2015

I have done the nuggety track a couple of times and ractliffe track before they closed last month, keen to reccy more of lerderberg if you looking for someone to tag along.

Jamie
Jamie (Garell)
24 Jul 2015

Hi Jamie, if that bog hole is the one I'm thinking of, I gave it a miss too, I heard that some GU's with a 4" lift on 37's didn't make it through. It was off Ennis Rd just before Caddell on the left. I was up there myself, ......

Hi Donald. Don't remember one at Caddell, the one we did was definitely at cnr cable and brandy. The two patrols where fairly stock when they went through. 

Definitely go back there and have another look around.

Hi Donald. Don't remember one at Caddell, the one we did was definitely at cnr cable and brandy. The two patrols where fairly stock when they went through. 

Definitely go back there and have another look around.

Hi Jamie, Caddell is the cut through from Ennis to Mt Hickey tk. I'm hope to get back there one weekend after the rain subsides a bit.

Neil
Neil (love24wd)
26 Jul 2015

Hi i would be very  interested in the lerderberg area and tallarook areas

look forward to following dates on trip itinerary.

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
26 Jul 2015

Went up to Mt Dissapointment/Tallarook area this wekeend

Plenty of easy-medium tracks to choose from. Didn't come across anything overly difficult and didn't need to do any recoveries 

Lots of mud but I was fine in bald all terrains

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
27 Jul 2015

Ok so I think the best idea for this will be once the seasonal closures are finished. I am going on the beginner trip to tallarook next month to learn more about recovery techniques and make sure I am properly informed. Following that I will be looking most likely at a Lerderderg trek as the first reccy run and will then plan a trip. Due to seasonal closures a lot of even easy runs like Nuggety are closed. Understandably as when I last did it there was a bit of rain on the way back and it did get a bit slippery.

Reccy run will be 3 vehicles max but will follow with a trip within a couple of weeks. I will lead and will need a tail leader as well. I will limit the trip to 8 vehicles plus the 2 leaders. All vehicles will require basic recovery gear (rated shackles, snatch straps, recovery points - not tie downs - and winches will be very welcome). It's not to say we will need them but it's always best to plan for the worst case scenario. Uhf will also be mandatory.

If you have any queries about recovery requirements please feel free to call me on 0412611732. Just remember it is better to overplan your recovery than underplan and end up stuck and costing a lot more.

I want to make this an enjoyable yet challenging day for beginners to progress to medium tracks and also mostly for new guys to get a feeling for basic limits of both their vehicles and also themselves. Personally I prefer to have a self limit than break something.

Keep your eye on this thread and also the trips as I will be posting soon.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
27 Jul 2015

Also thank you to everyone for their contributions. Greatly appreciated.

Wayne (dragic)
01 Aug 2015

Hello Winston. I would like to Know if you are interested in doing a reccy around jamerson around about september or october. (wayne dragic).yes

Previous   1 2 3   Next