What's your favorite fuel supplier (BP, Caltex, Shell etc.)

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
15 Jul 2015

Having a clean and good fuel is important not just performance and fuel economy, but also the lifespan of your 4WD engine. 

Personally I like BP Diesel. If I don't have choice, I would go for Caltex Vortex Diesel. 

What's your favourite fuel supplier? 

United fuel. (Caltex) I also run a secondary fuel filter. 

have had no issues. Been using the same place for over

5 years. 

I personally like Bp but generally will look for a high turn over place so diesel hasn't sat to long. I only started going for Bp petrol because my highly tuned mini hated any ither fuel since then always try to find Bp. Its funny i was just reading some blogs yesterday about prfered fuels.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
16 Jul 2015

Due to the 'Deep Water Horizon' catastrophe along with what happened at Longford (both owned British Pertreum) I try and avoid BP. Their past shows little concern for the environment.  I therefor stick to Caltex Vortex and seem to get my best diesel economy through them. I also run a secondary water trap and filter in case of dirty fuel which I would recommend to anyone running common rail fuel injection. 

Rod Marks
Rod Marks (rokkitt)
16 Jul 2015

Hi,

BP for me, noticed how much better my old bike used to perform on there 98 premium petrol. Since then I have very much sworn by them althouth the vortex is also good fuel. Not sure how true it is but I did read once that the cetane rating of BP diesel is the highest available.

Rod

Anthony (Anthony)
16 Jul 2015

I have owned my Prado diesel since new in 2002 and have never used anything other than BP in it the reason being is that BP were the first to get on board with reducing the Sulfur partials in their diesel being one of the biggest issues with black smoky diesels and a lot of the bad press associate with running and owning a diesel vehicle, I have owned a diesel car for almost all my 30+ years of driving and have found that using this diesel and now the ultimate seems to have had the best effect on all th diesel vehicles I have owned. To say they have little regard for the environment is like saying those of us that use combustion vehicle to get around care more. We do our best but accidents happen and life goes on. It's how we respond to this that makes the difference and I have seen BP walk away from the problem yet.

Jeff
Jeff (janderson)
16 Jul 2015

I use to use Caltex Vortex Diesel, now using BP. Found I get better mileage with it. 

On the motorbike I prefer BP 98  but considering our diesel comes from India (doesn't matter where you buy) I always go to the best deal

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
16 Jul 2015

Is that true.  Does it all come from India.  Does it come from India as a refined product or is it still crude oil?   Now I am curious if diesel from BP, Caltex and Shell are all the exact same ????

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
16 Jul 2015

I will start by saying I haven't owned a diesel for over 10 years however my wife Deb started driving diesels about 10 years ago, she has come to the conclusion based on economy and smooth running it's Caltex Vortex,Deb has nothing against BP but they are always dearer by 3 to 7 cpl, her vehicles were Golf and now Passat.

And as for my JK 3.6 I use 91 octane Caltex if not BP and have not found any benifit from higher octanes.

I tend to buy from a servo that has a regular fuel turnover - except when their fuel has just been topped up. This is to lessen the amount of water & particles that may potentially enter my tank & injectors. Middle Eastern oil used to have a noticeable sulphur content.

()
16 Jul 2015

I believe that the all fuels are same, the quality & quantity depends only that from which station you are refulling.

Is that true.  Does it all come from India.  Does it come from India as a refined product or is it still crude oil?   Now I am curious if diesel from BP, Caltex and Shell are all the exact same ????

I was told by a person in the industry only last week that diesel sold in Australia comes from India. Reason I found out is that I needed some fuel additive to prevent flaking of fuel when visiting the high country during winter. When filling up in the high country you'll get alpine diesel, however mixed with standard diesel the performance is greatly reduced. I was advised that the instructions on the additive were based on U.S. And European based fuels and there is a need to double the additive for Indian diesel. Hope this helps

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
18 Jul 2015

I mainly use LPG and have found that united and mobil are by far the best, I do tend to get some massive variations from 1 supplier to the next ranging from 20l /100 all the way to 28/100 for the same sort of driving, caltex LPG is the worst.

As far as diesel all I know is the Telstra work van only has a caltex card in it so it only ever gets caltex fuel and it costs the same $$ / 100 km as my tweaked V8 near 20 year old 4wd when I'm running LPG, diesel by far the most expensive motoring when you consider the extra purchase price and the doubling of maintenance cost over the long run.

Jeff
Jeff (janderson)
18 Jul 2015

I believe that they all use different additives. 

1 2   Next