Sunday in the Snow

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
14 Jul 2015

We all met at the Beechworth Bakery with Gary, or should I say Garyietta, being the last to arrive in his brand new truck. As usual, he surprised us with his '4wd clothing' which wasnt really appropriate for a cold day..surprise. At this stage of the day, weather wasnt look all that flash for snowfalls, so after we all had eaten, done the introductions, I suggested to the group that we make our way towards Mt Matlock via a few tracks in the Big River area rather than go with the original plan of heading straight to Mt Matlock. Everyone was happy with that, so after a quick drivers briefing, we were on our way.

There are some great tracks in the Big River area, but we stayed on the main tracks as I wasnt really too sure how long it was going to take us to get to the tower at Matlock. It was a easy drive & I have no doubt some of the group were getting bored & I started to think if we didnt get any snow, it was going to be a pretty ordinary day. Fortunately, it wasnt too long before we started to see some of the 'white stuff' at about 900 mtrs.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
14 Jul 2015

We continued on with the snow now falling a little more heavily & then passed the wreck that had been there for some time.

The closer we got to Mt Matlock, the heavier the snow but nowhere near as much as we had on the trip the previous year. At least there was some around & it wasnt too long before we arrived at the tower.

Luke & 'Garyietta'.

It was then 'decision time'....indecision. We considered heading to Mt Selma, but it was going to be a fair old hike with no gaurantee of more snow, so I suggested we head back via the main road then branch off back towards Big River and find a few tracks to keep everyone interested. The drive back towards Big River was nice with snow continuing to fall.

We then came to a few tracks where the boys could have a 'play' Two of these tracks remain unconquered by those in the group who attempted them but the final one was completed by all in the group. I was the one who struggled on it as was blowing fuses all day causing my gps not to charge, then my compressor not to work so I couldnt engage my difflocks. Was a bit of a struggle to get up with front & rear open diffs but finally bounced my way to the top. A couple of pics of one of the hard tracks.

Zac.

Matt

Luke

Whilst we didnt get as much snow as we hoped for, it was still an enjoyable day & great to meet a few others from the forum who I had not previously met. Gary's new truck went well & he was happy with its 1st run out. Alan was not happy that he didnt have the 'pig' as he tried to convince us that he would have completed the two tracks that the others could not conquer; not sure about that....wink

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
15 Jul 2015

Another awesome trip Allan ............... looking forward to the next one.

Going to see what I have in the way of video from this trip and see if I can edit something together.

Thanks heaps :)

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
15 Jul 2015

Glad you & Nicole enjoyed the day Col. Look forward to catching up again soon.

PS: Will keep an eye out for video as I didnt take any on the day.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
15 Jul 2015

Great report mate,.... love all the pic :) 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
15 Jul 2015

I think Gary remind me someone I like in my childhood..................

Gary
Gary (poppyg)
15 Jul 2015

Great day out I think everyone had a good time look forward to going to the snow again. Allan well organised as usual thank you. Matt I hope your eyes are feeling better from looking up my skirt 👍👍

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
15 Jul 2015

Allan it was once a pleasure to join your trip,I love the early start and this trip reminded me how good Big River is.

Also good to meet some members for the first time.

And for all those concerned the Big Pig is back in town and I pick it up tomorrow and I can't wait to get up to Big River and nail those 2 tracks just to put Allans mind at rest.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
16 Jul 2015

Top report Allan and as always a great trip out, have got a couple of short videos on the ipad and a couple of photos will get them up at some stage.

Garry I was wonderng why I have been feeling a little off this weekcrying Love your new rig, once you get over the loss of the old truck this one will become your fav.

Big All, good to hear your much loved Pig will be home and good luck with those couple of tracksyes

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Jul 2015

Looking forward to seeing the pics & video Matt. Also, thanks for taking over lead duties at the end whilst I was stuffing around replacing fuses...yes