Previous   1 2 3 4
Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
19 Jul 2015

Scary indeed. Would have been nearly as frightening to watch it. I am glad it was caught on video as it serves as a reminder for us never to become complacent.

Scott
Scott (roadsafe4wd)
20 Jul 2015

Sounds good guys i inly recent got a 4wd an i am very keen to get out and learn something's were is a good olace to look for recovery points?

Hi Roadsafe 4WD supply most major 4WD stores and do a great tow point.

Cheers Scott

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
20 Jul 2015

Scott you may well be just the guy to educate us on the difference between tow points and recovery points, my understanding is that tow points are only for towing a rolling vehicle on even ground.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
20 Jul 2015

Scott you may well be just the guy to educate us on the difference between tow points and recovery points, my understanding is that tow points are only for towing a rolling vehicle on even ground.

I'm starting to get curious about this with my Pajero. Mitsubishi have given a disclaimer saying the front "recovery point" is not technically rated for recovery - it's the usual hook assembly bolted and welded to the driver side chassis rail. However independent testing has shown it is rated to a minimum of 31kN or 3.1T.

What's the verdict from everyone else on this?

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
21 Jul 2015

Great to see the interest in safety. That rollover, awful to watch.  Without criticising or sounding harsh, you guys are extremely lucky to be alive.  Obvious mistakes made after vehicle stalled.  I think it's well worthwhile to invest in driver training courses from beginners to advanced.  See 4WD Victoria.

Regards

Luca

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
21 Jul 2015

Pajero recovery point test.

https://youtu.be/wPXixsvjDjY

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
21 Jul 2015

I'm starting to get curious about this with my Pajero. Mitsubishi have given a disclaimer saying the front "recovery point" is not technically rated for recovery - it's the usual hook assembly bolted and welded to the driver side chassis rail. Howeve......

Winston, it is a rated recovery point. Same as the one I have on my NL & I suspect all the Gen 2 Pajeros had similar. From NM onwards, they did not have it but MM do say that the tie down points are fine for a recovery. I know we used it on my partners NP when stuck on the sand at Inskip Point with camper trailer in tow & even though the vehicle that recovered us took off 'like a bat out of hell'...surprise, it held up.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
21 Jul 2015

Thanks Allan. I've just been reading a lot of conflicting opinions regarding the hook and the tie down points. I will be set up with 2.5m equalising strap for load distribution so I really can't see any situation that would require and higher rating without the car being a write off.

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
22 Jul 2015

I'm starting to get curious about this with my Pajero. Mitsubishi have given a disclaimer saying the front "recovery point" is not technically rated for recovery - it's the usual hook assembly bolted and welded to the driver side chassis rail. Howeve......

Pajeros MUST have an equalising strap to rated recovery points or the monocoque chassis can twist if connected to 1 side only and the vehicle is stuck hard. It has no seperate strong chassis.

Previous   1 2 3 4