Travelling the cape alone

Forum > General Discussion
Tim Cantone
Tim Cantone (Boss)
02 Jul 2015

Hi,

I plan on travelling to the cape alone .

I am wondering given that i am from melbourne i was looking into having the vehicle freighted up to cairns and then taking off from there. Trouble is no one seems to offer a freight service unless there is  no more than 50kg max of personal items on board and no gas cylinders or flammable items.Just wondering if any one has gotten around the problem or can recommend a company who they have had do it for them.

The other question i had was is it ok to travel alone . I have a very capable vehicle that is equipt with all the goodies.

I plan on going up early August - and if anyone was interested in coming along.

Tim

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
03 Jul 2015

Not sure that I would be doing it my own Tim, no matter how capable you & the vehicle are.....surprise. Yes, there will a lot of people up there at that time, but 'Murphys Law' will tell you that if something goes wrong, or you wait at a river crossing for others to arrive, no one will turn up for hours.

Cant help with freight services, sorry.

()
08 Jul 2015

Joining a big group is only " good idea"

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
11 Jul 2015

It's easy to find someone to travel with when you get there, on the tele track you will bump into the same people at every crossing. I wouldn't do any of the less travelled tracks on your own. I went to the Cape on my own but was never on my own once I got up there.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
13 Jul 2015

Hi Tim. Which track are you taking.  If taking the Development road, no problems. If taking the Old Tele track (good fun and worth while) , that is definitely more risky and normally done best with a group.  If you are doing on your own, I would recommend some contingency plans such as traveling during school holidays when many other  people are around.  Alternatively, perhaps take a sat phone and a list of local numbers in case something goes wrong.   Good luck. (PS Watch out for the tricky 'Nolans' water crossing. It catches many vehicles each year most requiring a tow and some requiring a motor rebuild.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
15 Jul 2015

hi tim

i looked at transport to cairns a few years back when we did the trip. even with a discount from a family member in the business it wasnt worth it.

like others have said ,you should go with others if your going to do the tele track ,cant see why you would go to the cape without doing it. i meet up with someone in port douglas and travelled on together from there

the development road is a pretty easy drive