Domenic
Domenic (Cowboy13)
01 Jul 2014

Just looking for views on whather it's worth fitting a Snorkle on a petrol engine? has anyone done this? What are the benifits?

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
01 Jul 2014

Hey mate,

Snorkle is a good investment. It prevents your engine from drowning (assuming all joints are water-tight) if you are stuck in a deep bog hole or during a deep river crossing. The engine can also get clearner and cooler air. 

AND, it looks good laugh

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
01 Jul 2014

Well i put a Home made one on my Zook & i inclined to say that it inproved my performance quite a bit & like kelvin has said it means that if your stuck in water or a bog hole the engine can still breath & it there is the benifit of clean cool air & they look good, the GLW wants to put one on her 4 Runner So yeah they are worth the effort.

Dale Collins (Colli)
02 Jul 2014

We saw some pretty good improvments on fitting them to the bt-50's when I worked at mazda, plus the induction noise is awesome. but def make sure it is sealed up good. I always use a good thick bead of sicaflew when doing a snorkel.

Domenic
Domenic (Cowboy13)
03 Jul 2014

We saw some pretty good improvments on fitting them to the bt-50's when I worked at mazda, plus the induction noise is awesome. but def make sure it is sealed up good. I always use a good thick bead of sicaflew when doing a snorkel.

Hi Dale,

Were you fitting them to Petrol BT-50's?

Dale Collins (Colli)
03 Jul 2014

The bt's are only diesel, but I've fitted them to a few different petrol cars over the years

Andy
Andy (andyh)
14 Jul 2014

If fitting to a dual fuel or LPG motor be advised that you will need to fit a balance line to your converter to compensate for the positive air flow...

Tell tale sign you have a problem is that when coasting above about 40klms, your motor will want to stall out..

Just thought id share

Regards

Andy

Domenic
Domenic (Cowboy13)
14 Jul 2014

Hey Andy,

Thanks for you comments, I am not runnig LPG on my vehicle, but good to know if others are thinking about it.

Chris
Chris (BDR)
18 Jul 2014

If you do any sort of off  road work, i would fit one, cuts down dust, as well as water :)

Safari make a snorkel for just about every thing, they are around the $450+fitting, keep in mind that a $100 Ebay special, may well nto be cheap in the long term ;)