Snow Chains

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3
Tc
Tc (toncastr)
02 Jul 2015

Roger if we consider using chains and pressure - seems best to try a few options. Based on the driving I did with chains - in deep fresh, in black ice, on firm roads - both here and in U.S. in minus 20 conditions - I'd recommend no change to pressure. 

Our Australian snow is really wet snow. It's just too warm. So the potential for us to float over the top is almost zero. When you have those Icelanders and there whopping 44 to 49 inch tyres - well a hilux or prado can get through a lot but it's way colder. The snow is much drier. But they mostly DON'T use chains. Chains dig into lose cold dry snow like they have. And chains dig really quick into our wet snow. If it's hard as a rock here - perfect conditions for chains. 

I could see how a light Paj or similar with bigger tyres might float to an extent - but shod with chains this risk is they dig in.

chains were invented for grip on ice. They are exceptional at ice. But be careful on fresh stuff. Cause most of our 4wd's are just too heavy even if we had those big 44's those lucky (or crazy) Icelanders have - http://www.gizmag.com/arctic-trucks-4wd-modified-expeditions-tours-iceland/14484/

Thanks Tony, those rigs in Iceland are pretty extreme! Will try the chains with normal pressure, assuming we find some decent snow of course, but from what you're saying I'm probably better off not using them unless we have icey conditions. My Navara have 265/65/17 XMT Achillies Mud terrain tyres, will be interesting to see how they perform

Tc
Tc (toncastr)
03 Jul 2015

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Yes ICELAND style would be fun in their conditions. 

When to put chains on is tough. On a hard base - its best to put them on early most of the time (the only exception is dry snow - this does actually provide grip). On a soft base - it can be better to leave them off - and it can be better to have them on. 

On a soft base - probably best to take it slowly - forward and back - and as the other Tony said - then put your chains on. 

Maybe best way is to look for a road or track that has a hard base. Put your chains on - and see how you go. Once you have confidence on snow with a hard base - look for shoulders just a wheel width to the side - and try it. After a while - you'll pick what works. 

One good thing on your yours - they are lighter. Which means they won't tear through the snow as much.

Have fun!

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
03 Jul 2015

Not a fan of chains at all & would never use them, or endorse their use, on any of our tracks that can have snow, such as the high country, Mt Matlock/Terrible etc. As mentioned before, required by law to carry them to the major ski resorts such as Buller, Hotham, Falls etc but am not sure why anyone would want to use or carry chains if they are going for a 'snow drive' to the likes of Terrible or Matlock,..surprise, but each to their own.

On the other subject re; wide or skinny tyres, in the majority of cases where we go for a 'snow drive' in Victoria, such as Matlock/Terrible, skinny tyres are probably better because it is very rare that we get really fresh deep virgin snow to drive on. Most of the time it is not that deep & often quite slushy, so the skinny tyre will 'bite' into the harder surface easier & quicker than the wider tyre. BUT, if you are fortunate enough to drive on fresh deep snow, the wider tyre is better in my opinion, as it gives you more opportunity to sit 'on top' rather than 'dig in', much the same principle as those snow shoey things you see in some movies. As with most things relating to 4wding, there is always some sort of compromise.

As I said, it is very rare that we get many opportunities to drive on deep fresh snow & if you are lucky enough to do so ,it is something you will remember for a long time. cool.

Maybe they should be called ice chains then

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
03 Jul 2015

Spot on Allan, I have never had the privledge of driving in really deep fresh snow, about half a metre of icy stuff is the best I have experienced and it doesn't look like this year will give us anything, only man made stuff on the main ski runs at the moment.

Been working at Orange NSW last week and Phillip Island this week and it sure has felt like snow but not a inch falling on our fav tracks

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
06 Jul 2015

Hi Roger.  This article just came out today related to snow driving. 

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/5c1262a3?inf_contact_key=2eedbe68510cc1f57269e05f90c5b03f99a2c82838521b379179bfadbc24f298#/5c1262a3/107

Kind Regards-  Tony (le Dakar)

Thanks Tony, was a good article 😊

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
09 Jul 2015

If anyone wants a good educated and intelligent read regarding tyres google search Aaron Schuberts site 4wding Australia, he has some very interesting and well written articls and covers a lot of different aspects of 4wding and all from first hand experiances from years of wheeling and touring.

Previous   1 2 3