Snow Chains

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3   Next
Tc
Tc (toncastr)
30 Jun 2015

The auto fit 4wd chain seems to have the inside hoop - which is a lot easier. 

The secret Harry the mt Hotham chain fitter gave me years ago was AFTER putting chain on the wheel - reverse back a 1/4 to 1/3 rotation of your tyre. This way - you'll have easiest access to the inside of your front wheels from the front of the car (your high approach angle). Lots of people go 1/4 to 1/3 forward which means tougher access from behind the tyre - with a mudflap maybe adding to access woes. Worst is half a turn - the access to the inside is terrible and you can't see what you are doing. Tighten the chain - and drive maybe a few hundred metres - re tighten. 

The slow and steady approach is also crucial for these lighter chains. I have seen quiet a few 4wd's spin chains off with broken links - just because the power of the 4Wd puts too much pressure. The ultra heavy chains don't have this problem - but they also weigh over 10kg and cost upwards of $2k.

10kgs an $2k?. Wow, I guess for people who live in that environment! will take it easy, the manufacturer recommends no more than 25kph and I'm guessing excessive wheel spin and then suddenly finding traction will shred them pretty quick. If (hopefully) we find snow, will post some pics of the trip 😊

Tc
Tc (toncastr)
01 Jul 2015

Putting them on and off up to three times a day - and having some trips where they are on for over 30kms - thats where the Griefstegs are awesome.

Look forward to hearing how you go. Have fun!

I looked up the greifstegs, they look pretty awesome!

Tc
Tc (toncastr)
01 Jul 2015

Yes the Griefstegs are awesome. Probably why my mates used to ask for them to use on their 4wbees. Whilst mine are a big size - they just don't fit the Wrangler's 33 inch Duratracs!

There's a guy in the UK on ebay.co.uk who has some ex military to fit a Defender. $210 - but its the freight at $330 that kills ya. Pity he doesn't know how to fit them.

I was looking at the ones you have (4x4 versions) - they look fine as long as you watch that speed.

Oh yes - one more tip - a bag. You'll want one to kneel on when you put the chains on (off is way easier) - and use the bag to put the chains in after. Unless you are on made roads - you'll likely take them off when its muddy - so best to try and find a small section of snow - throw them in to get the mud off both sides - and into your bag.

You'll have a great time Roger.

Thanks mate, will see if I can get hold of a hessian potato bag or something similar should do the trick!

😉

Andrew Wale
Andrew Wale (awale)
01 Jul 2015

But. depending where you are going you will problaly need to at leatst carry them.

I am going to Lake Mountain (not a 4WD trip). Because it is classed as a Ski Resort, I am required to carry them by law even if I need to fit them or not.

Just be very mindfull that when you hire these from have your tyre size. I have 285/70/ R17 tyres. I have found that 99.999% chain hire places do not have this size.

If you need to buy them. Have a look at the Pirahna 4X4 website below

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/product/recovery/snow-mud-chains-4wd

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 Jul 2015

Hi Roger,

I recall the guys who drove the Land Cruiser Troop Carriers at Mt Buller oversnow always said the key in snow is momentum, momentum & momentum. When I worked in the ski industry and had to put chains on (either in virgi......

I don't know how many arguments/ discussions I have had with people regarding tyre width and hight, you are spot on and in almost all conditions a taller skinny tyre will be better than a wider tyre.

on ALL rally cars the looser or more slippery surface the thinner tyre they run but the world rally teams don't know anything.....

the red neck 4 wder with massive tyres must know more than the professionals...

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
01 Jul 2015

I don't know how many arguments/ discussions I have had with people regarding tyre width and hight, you are spot on and in almost all conditions a taller skinny tyre will be better than a wider tyre.

on ALL rally cars the looser ......

This comment has opened up a can of worms,  Skinny tyres are good to cut through minimal snow into the hard stuff underneath or on hard packed snow.

But in the bush, ie. Mt Skeen, and if you're the lead vehicle with skinny tyres, deep layer of soft snow in front of you, good luck with your theory.  Snowshoes are designed this way for a reason.

As far as rednecks, it's best these comments are left unsaid.  Also, rally driving is not the same as 4 wheel driving in the snow but yes, I agree skinny tyres in clay are far better than fat tyres.

Regards Luca

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Jul 2015

have a think about the track affect from running low tyre presure then consider the plough effect, the wall of soft snow, mud or sand being pushed up and forced along in front of the tyre...

why do all defence force vehicles run skinny tyres?? why do defenders and troopies come out with skinny tyres??

The comment about red necks was a grenerlisation , we have all seen them, they are the ones that give all us responsible 4wders a bad name, unroad worthy dangerous and illegal 6 inch lift running massive tyres and a st8 through exhaust that can be heard a mile away, don't take it to heart unless it hits home.

No doubt there are very few cercumstances where wider tyres are better but IMO overall skinny is better.

Remember this is just my opinion and opinions are like a holes, everyone has one and thats ok

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
02 Jul 2015

have a think about the track affect from running low tyre presure then consider the plough effect, the wall of soft snow, mud or sand being pushed up and forced along in front of the tyre...

why do all defence force vehicles run skin......

I stopped reading after the first paragraph, But if that works for you , well done.

Regards Luca

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
02 Jul 2015

Ahh, a good healthy debate I love it ,just my 2 bobs worth,if I am driving on snow that is deep enough to have no chance of making contact with a hard base I would want the widest tyres possible and Matt on your comment regarding the military,I say you will never see any Artic vehicles with skinny tyres in fact they have much wider tyres than you or me will ever have, I will sat though skinny tyres are great in cutting through soft mud/clay to find a hard base but even more important is the tyres ability to self clean, my current tyres are 295mm wide and have worked perfectly on sand,mud and rock, yet to try snow.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
02 Jul 2015

My thoughts exacty Allan.  If the snow is not too deep, skinny tyres will cut through. But when the snow is thick, I want something nice and wide that will let me float across the top. Cutting through thick snow is only going to get all the snow build up at the bottom of the bullbar and hault your progress.  I remember being in some really thick snow at Mt Stirling with the heavy GU Partol and twin lockers. The build up of snow in front of my vehicle kept stopping me in my tracks (even with the lockers on). I had to continue reversing up and ploughing forward a few meters at a time....only to have a young P-plater in a 2-door pajero (very light weight) with really wide tyres on,  go up on the bank to my right and drive straight past me with no worries. His light vehicle combined with wide tyres allowed him to sit up on top of the snow and he simply kept going.

So my thoughts are-  Thin snow-  thin tyres and cut through to the firm base.  Really thick snow 40cm+, I would rather tyres that allow me to sit ontop of the snow.

Sometimes, you dont get the choice other than to enjoy yourself and simply give it a go no matter what tyres you have on the day.

Previous   1 2 3   Next