Boarder track and deserts

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)

G'day ,thinking of doing the boarder track and deserts in the near future 

any tips or knowledge would be greatly appreciated 

if all goes to plan I don't mind running the show if others care to tag along, but am also happy to tag along. Our trips are usually pretty unstructured and ad hoc with last minute diversions etc so be prepared to be surprised and not be afraid of some misadventure, eg reversing 500 m up a rocky razorback at 11 pm

this ones in the planning stage cheers simon

Rod Marks
Rod Marks (rokkitt)
25 Jun 2015

Simon,

Was up that way a few weeks ago, started at lake Albacutya - went across Milmed Rock Track and then down the border track.

Great trip, beatiful country. Be careful not to over estimate the distance you will travel, average speeds can be quite low. Let me know if you need to know anything specific. Heading off to do the Simpson in a few weeks so may not be joining you this time dependant on dates.

Big Dune is marked on the map in the Big Desert, never got there but sounds very interesting.

Brian
Brian (Hitman)
25 Jun 2015

Well we just came back from Wyperfield and Sunset.... Long way for what was a very easy trip. kids had a blast on the few dunes we did find... We didn't do the border track .... I've heard that there are some challenging sections. We also skipped the Little Desert as that is very very easy and flat.... But hey it's crossed off the to do list.... We always enjoy siting back in the evening with a beer, but probably wouldn't rush back.

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
25 Jun 2015

We would be interested in this ... date deopending of course as I still want to put waterproof underlay and carpet in the old GQ over the next few months.

Thanks for the replies and info much appreciated   

Not entirely sure as to when we'll be going as the handbrake is in the midst of her HHonors year at uni, so timing is based on her commitment. I'm tipping somewhere in the next 6 to 10 weeks though. So if you have any work that needs doing on your 4b, as we all do, you've got some time up your sleeve

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
27 Jun 2015

The cook and I will be around Wyperfield, staying at Casuarina campground for a few days exploring the area on the start of our month long touring trip. We will be there from 5/9 for 2-3 days might catch up, would be good to explore with another car but am OK with doing it ourselfs, will keep a eye out for  if the weekends work the same

Grant (308)
02 Aug 2015

Simon, hows the planning going on this one? I will be in Pinaroo on the weekend of the 12th Dec, a bit off yet i know, but am hoping to extend the weekend with someone else and either explore the Big Desert or Border track. I have done this area only once before and given the tour by a local which made a big difference.

Adrian Borg
Adrian Borg (hianuf)
27 Aug 2015

With the Border track, unlike other area's which re open in November the Border track is closed during the dry season.

Rod Marks
Rod Marks (rokkitt)
27 Aug 2015

Hey Simon,

Well I am back and definitely interested in tagging along if this trip goes ahead.

Rod

The cook and I will be around Wyperfield, staying at Casuarina campground for a few days exploring the area on the start of our month long touring trip. We will be there from 5/9 for 2-3 days might catch up, would be good to explore with anothe......

Howdy my cook and I are heading to the boarder track tomorrow 

probably won't get there till late and not quite sure where we'll end up on our first night 

may see you if you're still in the area

simon

Hey Simon,

Well I am back and definitely interested in tagging along if this trip goes ahead.

Rod

FROM Simon
TO Rod Marks 
Sep 09, 2015 20:52

Boarder track
Hey rod The mrs just said we've got a few days off so we're headin off to do the boarder track tomorrow some time Short notice I know but msg me if you're interestd

Rod Marks
Rod Marks (rokkitt)
10 Sep 2015

Just read your email and I am at work.

Assume you have already gone, I would need more notice to get myself together - damn this working for living.

Have a great time.