newbies and want to 4x4

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)

Hi everyone my name is Cassie and i am a newbie to 4x4ing. I have gone on a couple of trips before but just as a passenger.
On the 30th may to the 1st of june i was thinking of going with a friend up to the high country to craigs hut and around but because im new to this and would only have 1 car im not sure if i should go.
Just wondering if anyone is interested in going or has a trip going at that time?

Cheers Cassie

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
19 May 2015

Welcome to the forum Cassie.

The 1st thing I would be doing is an accredited 4wd course, there are quite a few providers around in Vic/Melb.

Personally, if this is your 1st outing as a 'driver', I would not be going up to the High Country, whether it is to Craigs Hut or elsewhere, by yourself ie; 1 vehicle. Even some of the easy roads/tracks can become 'character building' after rain.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum Cassie.

The 1st thing I would be doing is an accredited 4wd course, there are quite a few providers around in Vic/Melb.

Personally, if this is your 1st outing as a 'driver', I would not be goin......

Thankyou for the feed back.
I will have a look into the 4wd courses.
I did forget to mention that i have been the driver for one trip. It was great fun but challenging.
If anyone is doing this trip and wouldnt mind a tag along, let us know

Hi cassie..

i am reasonably experienced 4wder...3yrs.... with many mods on the prado... i have done the high country a few times...and recently just canceled my high country trip due to fact noone joined the trip..and in my opinion just asking for trouble to do it in just 1 car... it can be quite challenging.... other parts can be quite easy... never the less... it is a remote part of the world.. with little to no phone reception so if you do require a recovery or your truck brakes down and if your like me not mechanicly minded...help can at times be unreachable for days...(pending how far you go in)... i strongly suggest you dont do it alone... and ensure whoever goes with you.. has a reasonable set up 4b with winch, recovery gear ect.....stay safe on the tracks....

Ant

Hi cassie..

i am reasonably experienced 4wder...3yrs.... with many mods on the prado... i have done the high country a few times...and recently just canceled my high country trip due to fact noone joined the trip..and in my opinion just ......
Thanks Ant
Just trying to find people that would like to go before they close the tracks and that have recovery gear for just in case.

Thanks heaps Cassie

Hi cassie..

i am reasonably experienced 4wder...3yrs.... with many mods on the prado... i have done the high country a few times...and recently just canceled my high country trip due to fact noone joined the trip..and in my opinion just ......
Thanks Ant
Just trying to find people that would like to go before they close the tracks and that have recovery gear for just in case.

Thanks heaps Cassie

Luke
Luke (bushstig)
20 May 2015

Join a easier trip to start with like the wombat forest trip this w/e the tracks are all easy a few bog holes , but you have plenty of people to guide you if you need help . Build up your confidence and learn your cars strengths and weaknesses on easier tracks.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
27 May 2015

Hi Cassie.  First off- Welcome aboard.  I have been discussing the topic you raised with one of the founders of this site. I have a past history of driver training for many years including 4WD training.  I am thinking of running a Newbie trip soon with the invite going out to those fairly new to 4WDing.  The thought will be to

• Help introduce new 4WDers to this wonderful hobby, 
  • Encourage a safe approach to 4WDing,
  • Go through some fundamentals with using basic recovery equipment (Snatch Strap)
  • Having a fun day out on some easy/medium tracks

I need to discuss the idea further with the club/site owners to ensure we are not breaking any club rules and also to get their input to ensure the day is a success.

I am likely looking at around 6-7 weeks away (mid July) due to a Simpson Desert trip I have coming up.   I will keep you posted and advertise the trip as 'New 4WDers 'Trip'.    What side of town are you on Cassie?

Regards Tony.

Hi Cassie.  First off- Welcome aboard.  I have been discussing the topic you raised with one of the founders of this site. I have a past history of driver training for many years including 4WD training.  I am thinking of running ......

Hi Tony
That would be awesome if a newbie trip was organised.
Im in pearcedale near frankston.

Cheers Cassie

Hi Cassie, 

Welcome!!  When we joined this website  when we were newbies as well and since joining  did a fair bit of trips( just enough to earn the title Trip Nut Of The Year 2014!)

On these trip we met very experienced people who were willing to help newbies, we learned a lot. I ( Mien) did an accredited training ( just to keep hubby happy) and it was ok. But 4wdriving is a "learning by doing"  activity. 

Combined with some reading and watching( You tube) a great learning curve!!

Our tips: don't go anywhere alone if you're not certain of road conditions, join some trips and have FUN!!!

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
28 May 2015

hi

while i agree with what most people have said, the circuit road to craigs hut is a 2wd dirt road that you could drive your commodore to. if thats all you are doing go and enjoy yourself.

there is some great country around there with many very easy tracks, have a look and if you unsure dont go on them.

good luck, join in some easy trips

dennis

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
28 May 2015

All I can say is if you do go off road on your own please ensure your have some recovery equipment,a uhf radio and recovery points front and rear.

If I come across somebody stuck and they have the equipment I mentioned I am more than happy to help ,if they don't I still help and let them know I'm not happy.