Mud Map GPS/Navigation app - Highly recommended

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
25 Jun 2014

Got my Mud Map App the other day and used it in my Mt. Disappointment trip. It was awesome! It's very accurate and by using topo maps, it show you not just the tracks but also the terrain. We went down an unnamed tracks but luckily we could see the terrain so we know where we were exactly and what's the terrain like up ahead. 

The only downside is that you have to purchase the map individually $9/ea from their map store. Still, it's a good investment for any 4wders out there. 

So if you haven't got yourself a good GPS for 4wding, check out Mud Map. They are available in both iTune and Google Play. 

Hi Kelvin,

We are considereing either Hema or Mudmaps for our Ipad. Your review of MudMaps sounds good..but do you( or someone else ) have a review on Hema. I/m just a bit being Dutch....

Mien

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
01 Sep 2014

Hi Kelvin,

We are considereing either Hema or Mudmaps for our Ipad. Your review of MudMaps sounds good..but do you( or someone else ) have a review on Hema. I/m just a bit being Dutch....

Mien

Hi guys, I have downloaded HEMA on my Samsung Note 2 but the problem with HEMA is that we have to download the map which is like 2G in size! It also performed poorly when there is no internet connection, it may not be the case in iPad version though...

I honestly think Mud-map is way better for what I need and like I said, I had a great experience using it. The only drawback is that you have to purchase the map separately. But then, they are a good investment. 

I think there are a few 4wders using HEMA map, hope they can view this post and give us their comment. 

Hope this helps. 

Good that you had the Hema as well, you could do a real comparisson. We go for MudMaps then!

Thanks again!!!

Mien

Tony (TATravels)
24 Nov 2014

We have been using Hema since they came out. It is huge download and a decent upfront 'investment' but for us it has been gold. The reason for the huge download is that all Hema maps for Australia are included, so makes it ultimately excellent value. 

We have just returned from the Binns Track in SA and NT as well as many side trips and have been pleased we had these every day! Used on an iPad, but also have them on our iPhones which has been good when going for walks off track . We have turned on tracking and this leaves a visible track to retrace your steps.no extra cost for using on your other devices. Again a big download for each of the devices and when they do an update which seems to be about every 6 months, another download. But then I do hVe the latest He,a maps with me!

I have not used mud maps so cannot comment on them. We have never had a problem with the GPS connection. We have found a couple of changes in tracks - one was relocated recently and another was a reroute get along a river bed and both were clear changes. We turned on our tracking for these legs once we realised it had changes and are submitting the changes to Hema.

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
08 Dec 2014

I have just installed Mud maps 2 on to my Ipad. Looks good so far and seems very easy to use.

()
02 Feb 2015

I have mud map and hema on my ipad. both have good and bad point. Good point about mudmap is that you can put your own maps on once you have converted them. Hema you cant. Im not sure about the new hema explorer app as i dont have that one. With hema you do get all the maps included and mudmap you only get some. Mudmap does have maps you can purchase. With mudmap i dont like there map they have that gets updated. its a little bit out over here in the west. I used mudmap recently with my own maps when i went out to Isrealite bay and surrounding areas, it didnt play up at all. i always had gps signal. I have the ipad mounted on my dash with a raw system set up. Id reckomed you try and find someone close that has the apps so you can have a play and look for yourself before you purchase.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
23 Jul 2015

Tossing up between hema and mudmap and am a bit concerned about the mudmap reviews on android app store.

Am not fussed about the large download of hema as would do it at home on WiFi.

Any further reviews?

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
23 Jul 2015

Tossing up between hema and mudmap and am a bit concerned about the mudmap reviews on android app store.

Am not fussed about the large download of hema as would do it at home on WiFi.

Any further reviews?
Try Here.com app ... i highly recommend it... i am using multiple apps and devices for better cross reference.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
23 Jul 2015

Thanks Tony I'll check it out.

David (DSPIES)
23 Jul 2015

I use memory map on my android (nexus 7') and can't fault it.

I also have oziexplorer on the device but find less and less moments when i want to use it.

I have found the benefit with Memory Map (and a tiny bit of computer savy) is that after paying $50 (once) i can scan ANY map and use any map. i can then flick through a number of different maps for the same areas dpending on what i am looking for.

i tend to scan in the rooftop maps but the choice is there what ever i want to use.  it's a good luxury and the prgram is seamless.

(i'll stick with MM for now and while I havent used memory map, $9 maps do sound nice)

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
24 Jul 2015

David.  Where can I go to get a full size map  scanned?    What DPI do you scan your maps to?    Once scanned, I assume you have to calibrate themfor Memory Map?

Regards Tony.

David (DSPIES)
24 Jul 2015

HI Tony,

Some forums don't like it when you link another forum but on this occasion i will and if the moderators don't like it, i wont repeat it.

Everything you need to know is in this thread. click here.  

The first time i went through the process (first map i did) it took me about an hour.  After that it took me about 5 minutes per map.  The delay was that when you are putting in the information regarding the maps, it was all case sensitive.  Bloody frustrating! otherwise the instructions in that other thread are great.

The main thing with copying the maps is to get them to an 8 bit tiff file, but i just get the copy places to scan it however they can - usually 24 bit and then reduce it.  

Originally i had my maps copied at the Triangle Copy centre on Burwood Road.  i've had later maps copied at office works but i think they put them through a roller type copier and a small crease in the map made it slightly off kilt.

If you are going to give it a go, i'd be happy to help out if required.