Your 'pet hates' of 4wders.

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 May 2015

Whilst we all love getting out in the bush, am sure most of us have some things that really annoy us about our fellow 4wders. Over the years I have found that my list of 'pet hates' have increased with many 4wders leaving me shaking my head. Would be interested to see how many of us are honest enough to list the things that annoy us most. So here goes with mine.

1. The need to prove themselves.

Whilst most of us like a challenge from time to time, am amazed at how many 4wders do stupid things with no consideration of damage to their vehicles, or more importantly,potential damage to themselves or passengers. No.1 'small dick' syndrome.

2, Staying in 2wd.

Hate this with a passion. Cannot understand 4wders who want to go as far as they can in 2wd before engaging 4wd. As far as I am concerned, the minute you hit gravel roads, 4wd should be engaged.

3. Speed.

4wding is not a race, but some think it is. Am sure most of us have had a 'near miss' with someone coming the other way around a blind corner travelling at excessive speed.

4. Loud music.

Most of us like to get away to enjoy the 'serenity', but from time to time have to put up with some who have to have their 'doof doof' music blaring all night long at campsites.

5. Throwing bottles/cans into campfires.

No need to say anymore, but many do it.

6. No basic recovery gear.

Many 4wders will spend big $$$ on modifications to their vehicle but will not fork out the money to buy the basic recovery gear; ie snatch strap, shackles, gloves etc.

7. Driving on closed tracks.

Not all seasonally closed tracks are gated,and from time to time, we may inadvertly drive on one, but it is easy to check the website to see what is closed. If going out 4wding after the QBW, check to see what is open; many do not.

Interested to hear other 4wders thoughts.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
09 May 2015

Good thread Allan, it will make people think about there action and the implications of them.

I agree with all your hates mine are the same but just to clarify, the first one, small dick syndrome, I am not ashamed to admit I am no black man but on the some token have nothing to prove BUT I do love a challenge and pushing myself and my 4by to its limits, its just a matter of knowing your limits before being bitten. A very hard line to define when out in the bush and sometimes I and other drivers will exceed thier or thier cars limIts and accidents or breakages will occure. IF any 4wder is not will to accept that every now and then things can and will go pear shaped I would suggest that 4wding might not be the best hobby for you and just stick to black top touring. Damage is something that I will do absolutely everything I can to avoid but do accept the fact that it can and occasionally does happen. SUCH IS LIFE.

My only real massive pet hate is littering and I can not stand it when people just dissrespect the bush and the privellege that we as Australians have in being able to enjoy such a open and vast beutifull country.

As the stickers on my Disco say ABUSE IT AND LOOSE IT and TAKE IT IN TAKE IT OUT

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
09 May 2015

Looking forward to seeing the stickers Matt.

Dont get me wrong, I like the odd challenge, (we have had our fair share over the years Matt...surprise), but I guess I should clarify. There are many new people getting into the 4wd game with little experience that I believe want to 'push the boundary' almost from day 1. Rather than take their time and learn about their vehicle by starting of gradually & improving their driving skills, many think they can or should drive some of the difficult/narly tracks on their 1st outing. I often wonder if 'peer pressure', real or perceived, is put on some 4wders to attempt to drive something they are not comfortable with, or ready to tackle. That, in my opinion, is where the 'have to prove themselves' aspect of 4wding is annoying. I have far more respect for someone who is honest enough to say;" No, I am giving this a miss or pass", rather than have a go even when they know the chances of success is almost zero. Classic example is bogholes; some dont even check how deep or how hard the bottom is and just dive in & come to a sudden stop. Then another person will have a go, again knowing there is absolutely no chance of getting through. I guess some of us over time have learnt, 'bogholes = big bucks'.

Am sure many will disagree with me as some may say; "jump in the deep end' from day 1 as that is the best way of learning", but rightly or wrongly, I am still of the mentality that you have to 'learn to crawl before you can walk'.

cheers

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
09 May 2015

Excellent thread Al and when I have a bit more time I will list some of mine.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
10 May 2015

Hate is a strong word but these are a couple of things that take away the plessure of off roading,hoonish behaviour,the constant worry of oncoming motobikes going too fast, travelling behind a 4wd with aggresive tyres and no mud flaps , traveling behind diesels that are not tuned properly Gary Dyer proves it can be done, not having time to stop and enjoy the views , undeniable unreliable vehicles in the convoy, that will do for now,remember I don't hate these they just lessen my enjoyment.

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
11 May 2015

I agree with most on here. No 1 is a bit harsh. Some people's opinions of what is a challenge may seem stupid or childish to others. It's what ever floats your boat. I am a sucker for a challenge and yes my truck does get damaged every now and then. I do however take that in to consideration and accept that it will happen if I take on some harder challenges/tracks. I punched in the right front quarter slightly and ripped off the lower part of my flare on the last trip to Toolangi. Don't hate on me for trying some harder lines. I'm not proving anything other than to challenge myself and the truck.

Luke
Luke (bushstig)
11 May 2015

Message deleted by the author.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
11 May 2015

Agree Simon, nothing like a challenge and sometimes damage does happen, it is the challenges that I really enjoy!!!

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
11 May 2015

Some good points there Allan; especially the majority of motorbike riders. Will admit have come across a few considerate ones of late; last week in Tallarook was a good example.

Simon, totally understand what you are saying and all 4wders like a challenge and yes at times it may cause panel damage. Might surprise you but I have a couple of 'battle scars' that annoy me everytime I have to look at them....angry. As you and Matt say, can often happen when 4wding.

My poor explanation of what I classify as 'stupidity & foolhardy' is attempting something with zero prospect of succeeding. Maybe I am getting old and senile, but unless I believe there is at least a 50/50 chance of success, I will give it a miss. I also now tend to look at a particular challenge and think;" if I get this wrong what could be the consequences'?. As you said 'whatever floats your boat' but over the years I have seen a few horrific incidents that have caused both vehicle and human damage along with many 'near misses' so these days I just think ; "Is this challenge worth it?" I would like to think that most 4wders would seriously consider possible consequences before attempting some of the stuff they drive, but am not sure that is the case alot of the time.

Anyway, my thoughts doesnt make me right or wrong as everyone will have differing opinions. If nothing else, we might get a few comments on the subject....wink

Sam
Sam (samuel l)
13 May 2015

Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a big convoy! 

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
17 May 2015

People who use their 4WD's to make holes in the track bigger and bigger by spinning their 37" wheels all the way through, and then sit around the camp fire and moan & whine about more and more tracks being closed by the authority.    How long before they figure it out -  Abuse it and you loose it !   We have the right to our country and its tracks......but we dont have the right to destroy them.   Tony.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
18 May 2015

People who use their 4WD's to make holes in the track bigger and bigger by spinning their 37" wheels all the way through, and then sit around the camp fire and moan & whine about more and more tracks being closed by the authority.&......

Always one of the most discussed issues amongst 4wders Tony. Would love a $ for all the 4wders with big aggressive tyres who say they cause less damage than those of us running our 32/33's. If this is correct, makes me wonder how many tracks get such huge ruts that makes it impossible for someone running 32/33's to drive as almost immediately we are sitting on our bellies.

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
18 May 2015

Always one of the most discussed issues amongst 4wders Tony. Would love a $ for all the 4wders with big aggressive tyres who say they cause less damage than those of us running our 32/33's. If this is correct, makes me wonder how many track......

Well they would do less damage if they didn't spin their tyres. Conversly, smaller tyres diff out very quickly on any sort of rut especially factory profile 31" etc. So the drivers of these vehicles certainly don't turn around and give up for the most part. They get out the winch and drag themselves or get snatched through it, thus digging the centre line of the track deeper until such time as the ruts are deepened again and the process begins again. I won't argue any side of this other than to say, that no matter what, the ruts will become deeper and deeper until they are filled in again. Cockpit was a perfect example. First time I did it, I was on 33's and my GQ got swallowed by the track at one point. The level ground was at the top of my window. I have seen just as much bad driving behaviour by smaller tyred trucks as I have big tyred trucks. I started in this scene before big tyres were the norm. The tracks are no worse now than they were back then. 

Damien
Damien (ZBO310)
15 Jul 2015

Over bogan'ing.
It's OK to be a Bogan, but NEVER go full Bogan.
Relax. Keep calm.

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
16 Jul 2015

Great topic Allan.

MY PET HATES

1.  Drive it like you stole it attitude.

2. 1/2 dozen people screaming advice to the driver on recovery procedure when stuck, should only be 1 max 2 (front and rear - 1 spotter) appointed by driver.  

Everyone else..........shut up!

3.  No consideration to preventitive maintenance/servicing or carry obvious spares on trips, letting the convoy/scheduled trip down.

4.  Having no rated recovery points on vehicle and no recovery equipment.

5.  People that have no idea on safe recovery procedures.

6.  Wife needs the computer so got to go.

Luca

1 2   Next