Alternater overcharging

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
29 Apr 2015

Hey guys, so replaced my alternater on my vdj79 last week and now it is overcharging! Would anyone know what it could be? It is an eBay special so I'm presuming it is faulty or is there something I could of fucked up when fitting it? Cheers

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Apr 2015

do they have a internal or external regulator? You might be able to swop your old one with the new one. Peter GQ351 is a good auto elec he might be able to give you better info.

Bloody evelbay strikes again. How much for a new one from Toyota or is Toyota tax on the insane side and wanting stupid $$

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
29 Apr 2015

Well problem is I am meant to be @ tambo crossing tomorow night. I'm patching the old one, will get new brushes for it tomorow. That seemed to be the problem as they were stuck. $300 eBay special, $860 genuine or what I might have to do now is $2500 for a water cooled sealed unit

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
30 Apr 2015

I assume it has crapped its self because of water crossings, in the early days I went through a few from mud and water, now I stay away from deep bog holes, as I am sure you do and as far as deep water crossings maybe consider a car bra or a small tarp and a couple of oky strapes. I have also found a spray of WD40 over the hole engine bay keeps water out of the electrices, haven't had a issue, not even a splutter since I started doing that.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
30 Apr 2015

Well it happened at toolangi, don't think I need to say more. I don't think water is an issue just mud, jams the brushes. Also my alternater sits at the bottom of the engine, prick of a spot!

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
30 Apr 2015

Yep bloody mud... What tracks did you do that you couldn't drive around bog holes?? It must sit very low to cop enough mud from Toolangi to wreck it

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
30 Apr 2015

You can always drive around the bog holes! Well it's pretty much at the bottom of the sump 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 May 2015

Wow that is a really crap spot, I would get the sealed option, haveing it that low you will end up constantly replacing them after every muddy trip and every river crossing although mud is MUCH worse than water but totally submersing it even in clean water wouldn't be good for it.

As they say the poor man pays twice, in your situation you will pay again and again and again....