Donnellys Creek Road - Access to O'tooles Flat Campground

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
20 Apr 2015

Does anyone know what the condition like of this road "Donnellys Creek Road" off Walhalla Road. 

We are heading there on the weekend but would like to know the condition of this road in case we try to avoid any river crossing via Merringtons Tk. 

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
20 Apr 2015

There is a river/creek crossing on donellys creek rd @ jorgensons hut but it is smaller than the one at merringtons. Was there in febuary and From whalhalla rd to jorgensons it is tight with steep drop offs on the side in sections, there are also some large holes on the side of the track and then from jorgensons hut it follows the valley but is still fairly tight. If you take your time and be aware for on coming traffic as the rd is quite popular it will be fine. Personally if all cars have snorkels and the crossing @ merringtons isn't flowing to hard than I reckon its the better/quicker option

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
21 Apr 2015

Message deleted by the author.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
21 Apr 2015

Thanks for the info guys,..... there are few cars which want to avoid river crossing at night.... so we can see that Donnellys Creek Road off Walhalla Road is the way to go.... it's at the north of Merringtons Tk, .... it will pass through Toomboon Historical mining area...... just want to find out the condition of this road.....

This should take us all the way from Walhalla Road to O'tooles Flat without any river crossing....

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
21 Apr 2015

Yep you can go that way but it is a lot longer and has a few steep sections, as mentioned the river crossing is easy as long as there isnt heaps of rain.

When I floated the Disco there they had 90mm of rain the day before

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
21 Apr 2015

Well I have driven the rd a few times this year and both wet and dry it is all 2wd, a little rough in sections but last time I was there they were doing a lot of tree clearing near o tools so might of even been graded as well. As I said before though you have to cross Donnelley creek when you get to the valley. Also when you turn off walhala rd onto donelley creek rd for the first few kms just be aware of large holes on the right side of the rd, I only say this because I nearly went into one. 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
21 Apr 2015

Well I have driven the rd a few times this year and both wet and dry it is all 2wd, a little rough in sections but last time I was there they were doing a lot of tree clearing near o tools so might of even been graded as well. As I said before ......

Thanks for the info mate!.... appreciate that...... 

So can I just confirm, we still have to make ONE river crossing even we take the Donnelly Creek Rd to O'tooles flat, correct? 

I will keep that in mind...be aware of the large holes on the right side...... are they mine shaft or just wombat hole?...... 

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
21 Apr 2015

The holes are more water erosion, they won't swallow your car but because you can do some speed on the rd if you hit them it will cause damage, there is plenty of room around them, it's more a case of paying attention. As I said they are at the start within the first few kms, as you are passing the private properties. And yes there is a creek crossing, last time I did it was probably not even wheel deep but f worst comes to worst and you have everyone in the one convy where the crossing is at jorgensons camp ground they have just built a new hut (it's pretty big too)and there is plenty of camp spots as well to crash there. The only route to otooles from memory without a crossing is through walhalla, bins rd, mcevoys rd and then the donelley rd, this is all 2wd also but is considerably longer.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
21 Apr 2015

The holes are more water erosion, they won't swallow your car but because you can do some speed on the rd if you hit them it will cause damage, there is plenty of room around them, it's more a case of paying attention. As I said they ar......

Thanks mate, we will see how the weather play out and decide which way to enter. 

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 Oct 2015

Just letting you know anyone could get through Merringtons crossings without a snorkel at the moment. It's very shallow

()
07 Oct 2015

Message deleted by the author.