Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
18 Apr 2015

Hi all, does anyone knows if it's true that HEMA will very soon release HEMA HN8? 

I am thinking to get a HN7 but now, I thought I may just wait for the new unit to come out. 

Dylan
Dylan (Heno79)
19 Apr 2015

Haven't heard anything about an 8 but i have been using the 7 for a couple of months and have a few grumbles with it.

Firstly, the mapping software that comes pre loaded is great, if you have a PC.... unfortunately it will not run on a mac and Hema say they have no plans to support the platform. Fortunately i have an old pc and have been using that to plan routes and trails and set waypoints etc then load them into the Hema for the trip. Not a critical thing really but really helpful when planning a trip and looking for potential alternative routes / campsites. Annoyingly my pc is ancient, slow and hidden in a dark corner of the dungeon so this is the only reason i need to keep it.

Secondly, LAG. doesn't happen all the time but dragging maps across the screen (on the unit) can be very jumpy and sometimes you lose where you are entirely. Again not a big issue but can be difficult when trying to steer through a rough track etc.... 

Lastly and probably most importantly, it has gone entirely blank on me mid track.... has only happened once but would not restart. had to use a safelty pin from the first aid kit to reset the unit and so far it has been ok since but was a little frustrating as you'd expect a unit with that sort of price tag to be reliable. 

Saying all of the above, i don't for a second regret buying the unit, it has been really helpful for the most part but if there is an 8 coming soon, i would reccommend waiting for it as they surely would have addressed some of these issues.

Dylan
Dylan (Heno79)
19 Apr 2015

Just remembered the 4th point. Battery life, Its SHITHOUSE! best i can get is around 2 hours, less if your switching between maps or trying to plan a track. 

Thought it was worth mentioning.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
20 Apr 2015

Just remembered the 4th point. Battery life, Its SHITHOUSE! best i can get is around 2 hours, less if your switching between maps or trying to plan a track. 

Thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for your feedback mate. I've just took the plunge and got myself a HN7 from Rays Outdoor as I've got nearly $80 credit with them :) 

I have been playing with it in the last few hours, yes, I totally agreed with all your points regarding the issues. 

I noticed that it works jsut fine if you point a location instead of dragging it. We are so stuck in "dragging" the screen with our phones, it's habbit hard to get rid of. I was sooo confused initially when I tried to drag the screen. But once I noticed that it worked fine by "poking" the screen, it works great. 

Ozi Explorer looks really complex to use, looks like it's been built a decade ago with the interface. 

Not sure about the battery yet as it is still on charge at the moment. 

I've also got HEMA Explorer App and Mud-map 2 on my phone as back-up unit in case the main unit HN7 has any issues.....