NEW - VMS Map Explorer App (with 3D map)

Forum > General Discussion
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
14 Apr 2015

VMS has just launched their world's first offline 4WD navigation app that uses real time 3D topographical maps. 

It looks promising, wondering how it stacks up with other apps such as HEMA Explorer and Mud-map out there. 

http://www.vms4x4.com/pages/mapexplorer

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
15 Apr 2015

That does look interesting,could be the way of the future,I also think Hema have a 3d versiom.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
19 Apr 2015

Well im using the VMS 700HDX & it is a great piece of gear & some on the map are 3d'ish well they have the shading on them which is good for seeing the terrain around the area.

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
25 Apr 2015

What's the source of maps do you know?  And what scale if they're raster maps?

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
27 Apr 2015

Got this app last weekend and thought yeh $50 problem is seems very difficult to use even for someone with tech smarts.
Tring to figure it out on the go Sunday whilst on mt skene prolly wasnt the best idea either lol 

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
17 May 2015

I purchased last week along with the Vic Map pack  (total spend $150).  I am not happy with the purchase and doubt I will use it further.  First problem I encountered is that all the Vic Maps are separate (hundreds of them). This totals 12 Gigabytes in size.  When you own a 16 gig IPad, that is a huge chunk of your storage capacity gone.  Next problem, is that if you want to open the map for a specific area (say Mt Disappointment), unless you know the exact name of the map for that grid, it is a guessing game and can take a very long time to find it.  Next thing I did not like was that when you are nearing the edge of a map, you cant see beyond the current map unless you close it and then open the map (that your not even on yet), and this is assuming you know the name of the next map. This means there is no way to zoom right out to view a whole region.

The 3D idea is good, but as soon as you go 3D, it distorts some of the track names so much that some of them are unreadable. I normally use OziExplorer on my in-dash GPS and wanted something to view maps on my iPad while out of the vehicle.  Unfortunately OziExplorer cant be loaded on the iPad and unfortunately VMS MapExplorer did not end up being the alternative for me.  I did try and use it for a day whist at Woods Point. I think it is an increadible piece of software engineering and take my hat off to VMS for this first release, however its limitations meant that it did not come even close to OziExplorer for a practice way of viewing or navigating large areas.

Sorry to be negative but I feel I wasted my $150 this time around.   Tony.  frown

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
18 May 2015

Hi Tony I use the VMS700HDX & it did take a bit to get use to but one thing I found was that as you say when you're nearing the eadge of the map there is nothing there but it Will load the next one as it goes or if you want to force it try zooming in or out then it should load the next map.

Tony (VMS4x4)
18 May 2015

I purchased last week along with the Vic Map pack  (total spend $150).  I am not happy with the purchase and doubt I will use it further.  First problem I encountered is that all the Vic Maps are separate (hundreds of t......

Hi Tony,

This is Tony from VMS too. All points are all taken and those are all very valid and as you know, we are actually working on the update which will include quit a fair bit of items and some will cover what you have pointed out.

Please go carry out the update for your V1.1 as it will give you extra bundle map sets too free of charge.

As you know that you will not be able to download all the maps that is available to any device (either VMS, OziExplorer or other bands), hence our system allows you to download the maps that you are after for your trip, plan on the map and if you no longer require them, you can simply delete those maps off your phone/ipad/ipod. Your way points/traclogs/routes will still be saved. Then if you require those maps in the future, just simply download them again. Once you pay for those maps, they are yours forever and you do not need to purchase them again. They are available in your account for your future download :)

Also if you do not like the 3-D effect, you can always switch it back to 2-D and it will work just like your OziExplorer too, can choose heads-up or north up depending on which orientation you prefer.

Please check out our Facebook for the next release which includes NAME, Map and POI search function. I did a search with your suggested search term "Mt Disappointment" and the search result came out as "Mout Disappointment: Whittlesea - Victoria"... then further, it listed all the maps available to the area... all together, 5 of those...

- Australi Base Map

-Toolangi Macedon 50K

-Mt Disappointment Tallarook 50K

-Vic - Kinglake South

-iTopo- 55H

We are looking at completing and releasing this update in the next fortnight and please stay tune. One thing we can guarantee is that you will always get the latest technology and support from VMS! Thank you for your input and really appreciate that!

Tony

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
19 May 2015

Thanks for the reply Tony.   My main two uses for GPS navigation is 1) Confirming i am at the very spot on my paper map that I think i am at; and 2) Being able to zoom out to see the whole region (perhaps 6 maps zoomed out into one screen) so i can ascertain which track i want to take next so i am heading toward my destination (was hoping this would also assist with pre-planning on the Ipad).  The MapExplorer did help me with the first use, but was not suited to me personally for the second use.  

Thanks for the advice on only downloaing the maps that I need. When it comes to selecting the correct maps for the areas I am visiting (which would typically be 10-15 maps on the trips I commonly do), It would help if I had an index map of Victoria, so I can easily identify the exact maps to download and their exact names. I average 3 trips a month with various clubs, and navigation is an enjoyable part of my hobby. The index map would be great assistance with this.

I would also like to state that i do like the range VMS products. I currently have a (eBay) Chinese GPS in-dash unit that has all sorts of problems and am saving my pennies for a VMS in-dash unit (hoping in August they come on special again). I have three 4WD friends from various clubs I am a member of with VMS units (1 fixed and 2 portable) and are all happy.  The only wish from my friend with In-Dash unit is that if there was a setting that bumped up the screen brightness (for those sunny days we love) it would make it much easier to see the screen.  He has had some days where the sun was too bright and he opted to turn the unit off as he could not see any detail in the map anymore (i have noticed similar discussions on 4WD forums about the same challenge). Other than this, they hare happy campers and often discuss the level of service your company provides.

If you guys are at the Explore Australia expo in Melbourne on the 30th, I will pop by to say hello.  Thanks for your reply.  Kind Regards Tony.

Tony (VMS4x4)
20 May 2015

Thanks for the reply Tony.   My main two uses for GPS navigation is 1) Confirming i am at the very spot on my paper map that I think i am at; and 2) Being able to zoom out to see the whole region (perhaps 6 maps zoomed out into......

Hi Tony,

Just a quick note to give you an update on the upcoming feature of the VMS 3D map explorer.

As you were asking in your earlier post about having the ability to have an index for the maps; well we have gone one better and the next update will include a search menu to be able to search via place names, map names or POIs.

I have included a couple of screen shots of the search function that is going to be available on the update. As shown on the left picture you enter a place name you want to find maps for and it will then show all results with that name in it, tapping on the place name you required will then bring up a listing of all the available maps that will include this place name (right hand picture), then you can just tap on the maps you want to download or view if you have already downloaded. I hope this improvement is what you have been looking for in your navigation solution.

Unfortunatly there is not going to be a provision in the future for a brighter screen on the in-dash units, some enterprising users have made little sun shades for their screens.

And this year we will not be at the Explore Australia expo but we will be at the National 4x4 Show in August.

Regards, Tony

Darren Gandy (Dags)
21 Jun 2015

Well im using the VMS 700HDX & it is a great piece of gear & some on the map are 3d'ish well they have the shading on them which is good for seeing the terrain around the area.

I run the HDX too. Haven't had it very long but I like the offroad maps compared to the HD700II. Very disappointed with the street nav though. Very slow, clunky and on the new device maps are at least 18 months old.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
21 Jun 2015

I run the HDX too. Haven't had it very long but I like the offroad maps compared to the HD700II. Very disappointed with the street nav though. Very slow, clunky and on the new device maps are at least 18 months old.

Have done the recent update yet it's about a month old now.

Darren Gandy (Dags)
21 Jun 2015

Have done the recent update yet it's about a month old now.

Hahaha. No I haven't because I've only had it for a month. I plugged it in to try it but it told me to back it up first, but I couldn't, and since that's how I lost the street nav maps off my HD700II it made me scared to update. 

Maybe I'll work it out soon. Oh yeah, and as a truckie I tried it on truck mode but all that did was gave me a truck icon. It didn't change the route options at all. I can buy a $99 one from Jaycar that keeps me away from underpasses and small local streets. lol