High Country route ideas welcomed

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Adam
Adam (zem100)
22 Mar 2015

Hi Guys,

A mate and I are keen to hit the High Country this Fri/Sat/Sun leaving Melbourne around 4pm Friday.

Ideally we want to bush camp Fri and Sat nights (by a nice river each night if possible) and have a play on a number of Medium-Hard tracks - not after anything totally extreme as we have well set up tourers on 33" muds and winch. 

If anyone can recommend some key track names (or a route) that'd be great thanks.

PS: I have HEMA Explorer with the High Country maps purchased on my iPad. Just wondering if the HEMA 4WD Maps app will have more detailed High Country maps in it compared to what I have bought...? Thanks in advance. 

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
23 Mar 2015

F

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
23 Mar 2015

G'day mate

My go to place for a weekend of high country is Mansfield.  head up to MtSterling. Take circuit rd around to Craig's hut. Head over the clear hills track which takes you over the summit of Sterling  down to Howqua gap hut. Go left from there and head onto Bindaree rd. There are waterfalls along here which is only a short walk and quite nice. Head towards pikes flat and take the 16 mile jeep track up to the bluff link road. Take the bluff track and head up to bluff hut. There is some nice camping spots around here but if you head up a bit further to Lovicks hut you will find some fantastic camping at the hut on green grass under the snow gums. (Not on a river though but you will proberbly have the place to yourself)

From there you can either double back to bluff hut and take bluff link rd to eight mile gap and onto Brock's rd back to Sheepyard flat reserve and then back out into the Mandfield main rd to town. 

I have the Hema maps app on my iPad but I prefer to use Mud Maps. It has a lot better detail of the tracks (my opinion).

There is a small camping area at the bottom of Mt sterling I think it's called Carters creek which makes a good stop for the Friday night. It's just before you get to the mountain on the left hand side. Has a toilet block and a couple of flat sites.

Hope this helps you

Graeme

Adam
Adam (zem100)
23 Mar 2015

Many thanks for the detailed outline Graeme. WIll plot it out and have a look. Is there much challenging driving in there or is it all pretty straight forward? 

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
23 Mar 2015

G'day Adam

most of the tracks are typical high country tracks. Some are Rocky, some are steep. The Clear hills track across the summit of Sterling can be interesting at times. A few nice little Rocky climbs to negotiate but nothing too extreme. 16 mile jeep track is a nice climb but can get muddy in sections if a lot of rain about,but this time of year you should be fine. There is a river crossing at Bindaree hut which isn't deep but has a hidden hole and a couple of big rocks to watch out for. 

With a lift and 33 MUDs you shouldn't have any problems.

Ive driven these tracks many a time but like most high country tracks can change every time I go there. It's a beautiful area and you would have a ball. If I didn't have a family do this weekend I would have loved to join you. 

If you need any more info just let me know there's so many tracks and routes you could do up there if this one doesn't suit you.

Graeme

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Mar 2015

Adam, whilst it is doable over a couple of days, I think you need at least 3 full days to enjoy the many aspects of what the high country around the Dargo/Licola area has to offer. Graeme's suggestion is a good one, but my choice would be around the Walhalla area. Bit closer to Melbourne, some good camping available near rivers & in my opinion has better 4wd tracks in a more confined area. For me this area is my favourite place to go on a weekend.

Just my 2c worth & am sure you will get plenty of other suggestions.