Haunted Stream Advice

Forum > General Discussion

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip up to Haunted stream over the Easter weekend and was after a bit of advice from people who have been there. We have 4 cars going on the trip but 1 is really concerning me and not sure if they will make it to the camp ground!

We were planning on camping at the larg campsite area with the fishing ground and shelter just before Stirling along Haunted stream. Have no idea what it's called though 😁 

We ourselves are in a 07 Prado with underbody protection but no lift. There is also a Jeep Wrangler, Mitsubishi Pajero and wait for it...... a RAV4 coming.  Obviously I'm concerned that the RAV4 may not be able to complete the 1st part of Haunted stream to the camp ground safely. They are a friend of my brother's so need to have an alternate arrangement for him in mind just in case. Any advice you can provide to make the trip enjoyable for everyone would be greatly appreciated!!

Leana.

Todd
Todd (Toddyh)
20 Mar 2015

We did that track last Easter towing a camper trailer (Mitsu Challenger). It was damp not wet. for 99% of the track the rav should be OK but only if they have some form of underbody protection and decent tyres. If they are on road tyres forget it. A couple of the crossings have hidden boulders that could cause grief but provided they have protection they should be OK. It's really not possible to walk 50+ crossings as you would be there forever.

There is one exit that is super steep and a little rutted. We lost traction and had to winch up part. Winching proved slow so we ended up getting a tow and made it up with 8 wheel drive. If someone is willing to tow the rav through the harder sections go for it. Also be aware that each exit becomes more and more slippery as each additional vehicle passes through.

We did that track last Easter towing a camper trailer (Mitsu Challenger). It was damp not wet. for 99% of the track the rav should be OK but only if they have some form of underbody protection and decent tyres. If they are on road tyres forget ......

Thanks Todd,

Will keep all that in mind and see what he has on his car so we get him through safely!

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
20 Mar 2015

Hi Leana

As Trip Leader it is ultimately your call which vehicles go. Nothing worse than spending hours and hours recovering vehicles which are not set up adequately for a particular trip. Or repairing one which is damaged. I'm sure you would feel ordinary if your friends vehicle gets damaged. If your not sure plan a different trip so YOU can have an enjoyable trip and visit Haunted Stream another time. That's my 2 bobs worth

Hi Leana

As Trip Leader it is ultimately your call which vehicles go. Nothing worse than spending hours and hours recovering vehicles which are not set up adequately for a particular trip. Or repairing one which is damaged. I'm s......

Thanks Mick,

I agree with you. I organised this trip and invited people who I knew were set up for it. I only just found out that this other person was invited by someone else. I'm suggesting that they leave their car in camp and tag along in other peoples car's for haunted stream and we can find some other tracks in the area to take him on that are more suited to his vehicle setup. That way everyone is happy and more importantly safe!!  He's done a fair amount of 4WDriving around Toolangi apparently so maybe the driver is more capable than the car and knows how to drive it. I just don't know as I've never met him before. MAkes it an awkward situation.

Gavo
Gavo (Gavo)
20 Mar 2015

Excellent view of tracks from that video Todd. I liked it from the 3.50 mark.

Some of the hills are quite steep. Some sections were quite slippery, and the mud hole section had me hanging on as I slid into ruts that meant I was on quite an angle.

Hi

I did the haunted stream trip late last year and found it be a fairly easy trip as long as care was taken.  While non of the crossings were deep you had to be carfule of large rocks so unbody proection is a good idea.  A few of the exits were cut up due a lt of recent traffic.  It is a trip well worth while and if happen to have a spare spot i would love to tag along as would love to do it again. 

Thanks  Paul

Hi

I did the haunted stream trip late last year and found it be a fairly easy trip as long as care was taken.  While non of the crossings were deep you had to be carfule of large rocks so unbody proection is a good idea.  A......

Hi Paul,

You are more than welcome to join us! We are planning on camping there from Easter Thursday to Easter Monday and exploring the area. We will probably do haunted stream on Friday as I doubt anyone will be able to wait long before tackling it 😄

We are planning on camping near Stirling along the track unless you know of somewhere better? I'm just going by what I can find on the map.

Jason
Jason (Jasjul)
13 Apr 2015

I did it Easter Thursday, did you end up doing it?  I don't think a Rav would have been happy.