Nissan Patrol GU8 3.0ST

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2   Next
Dennis
Dennis (dennos77)
30 Jan 2015

Hi All,

Question ive been offered to swap my Pathy for a Nissan Patrol GU8 3.0ST.

Its a 1 year older car with 30k less on the odo.

I heard the ZD30 engines are not really populair.

Would this be a good swap or not?

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Jan 2015

Hi Dennis,

I heard that the 3.0 engine was not good before GUIII, so I think the latest one should have fixed the problem by now. But not just the engine, I think Patrol would be a better offroad/touring car then pathfinder especially their drivetrain, gear box, diff....etc should be stronger. 

Gavin
Gavin (wooky)
30 Jan 2015

The issues did occur post the GU3 (My GU4 recently went bang) especially if they have more than 200ks on the clock.   

There is a bit you can do around ensuring it doesnt happen, have a look for NADS on the patrol forum. 

Dave
Dave (disco)
30 Jan 2015

Hi Dennis,

The Patrol is a far better choice for offroad than the Pathfinder.
You have access to parts from anywhere, and I mean anywhere and you will find parts are cheaper because so many produce parts for them. They are like the standard model everything is based on.

The ZD30 engine is the better of the smaller engines but it is not as good as the old 6 cyl 4.2 engine. As Kelvin said the drive chain is almost bullet proof and they will last for many years.

Remember though the Patrol is better off road and reasonable on road where as the pathy is more the other way, reasonable off road better on road.

So it depends greatly on your choice. if you want a great touring car with unreal offroad ability go for the Patrol. If you want to just tour and do the odd bush track not too extreme stick with the PathFinder.

Note: Make sure you get history on the Patrol, check that it has had regular services etc etc. Also I would be asking why some one would want to swap the Patrol for the Path Finder. Maybe they just want to downsize which is fair enough. But I would ask.

Dave

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Jan 2015

The issues did occur post the GU3 (My GU4 recently went bang) especially if they have more than 200ks on the clock.   

There is a bit you can do around ensuring it doesnt happen, have a look for NADS on the patrol forum. 

That's not good!... I was looking to change from the pathy to a GU4 for my wife and there are few around with reasonable price $20k but with over 220,000km on them already..... so I should stay away from the GU if they have done that many kms.....

Give me a GU TD6!..... 

Gavin
Gavin (wooky)
30 Jan 2015

That's not good!... I was looking to change from the pathy to a GU4 for my wife and there are few around with reasonable price $20k but with over 220,000km on them already..... so I should stay away from the GU if they have done that many k......

Getting mine converted to the TD42 now, dont want to risk the ZD30 after this experience. 

Other comments are correct, tough as for the rest compared to a pathfinder and so much more capable than a pathy. 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Jan 2015

Getting mine converted to the TD42 now, dont want to risk the ZD30 after this experience. 

Other comments are correct, tough as for the rest compared to a pathfinder and so much more capable than a pathy. 

That's good, mind if I ask how much would it set you back to convert to TD42? ..... Imported TD42 Engine from Japan? 

Dennis
Dennis (dennos77)
30 Jan 2015

I would be interested how much a rebuild comes to.

Always good to know when you have a ZD30 I can already save money or collect parts for a rebuild.

Gavin
Gavin (wooky)
30 Jan 2015

I would be interested how much a rebuild comes to.

Always good to know when you have a ZD30 I can already save money or collect parts for a rebuild.

Had a look at a few options:

• 2nd hand ZD30- $6500 installed however same issue could happen in a month
  • Reco ZD30- $7500 installed with a 12 month warranty
  • New ZD30- $9500 installed.

In the end the TD42 is a second hand engine out of a GU so from a Vicroads perspective shouldnt cause too many issues. Doing a complete swap which is everything from radiator through to the gearbox (including change form auto to manual) and will come in at $14k so not the cheapest option however should be a lot more reliable than the ZD30. 

In hindsight could have just originally bought a TD42 GU for the same price than what I am paying without all the issues in the change etc and no car on the road for the last 3 months, lesson learnt...

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Jan 2015

My god, that's a bloody big job and cost........... definitely very stressful I would imagine............

Hope it will work out ok for you Gav....... hope can see your GU in action soon. 

Dave
Dave (disco)
30 Jan 2015

I would just go buy a donor car (GQ for example) then swap the 4.2 and box over, then you have heaps of spares etc etc.

There is many cheap and good GQs out there.

Dave

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Jan 2015

Oh one more question, who's doing it for you? Bidders? 

Gavin
Gavin (wooky)
30 Jan 2015

Phil  @ the 4wd Shed, he has been fantastic in looking at options and very patient with all my dumb questions.

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
30 Jan 2015

Don't be too spooked about the engine! If you are going to buy a 3.0TD Patrol, firstly get it compression tested. If it is not within specs ore one or more cylinders differs more than marginally from the others, steer clear. If it is all well within spec, go for it. once you have it, if it is not already done, get and EGT/Pyro gauge and manual boost controller fitted. So that way, even if the computer wants to overboost, it can't. Regular servicing and there should not be a problem.

Some have had engines let go after fitting NADS, but the damage was more than likely already done to the engine. The NADS probably just prolonged the inevitable.

If the engine is 100% when NADS is fitted, there should be no issues. 

James
James (HighKMPatrol)
30 Jan 2015

Look at the resale value of any patrol with TD4.2 or ZD30. There is a vast difference, reputation and reliability. I drive a TB45, it all depends what finances allow :) One day I'll have a TD... One day.

1 2   Next