4 days in the Vic High Country, solo...

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Mark
Mark (Tennismark)
06 May 2019

With no one able to join me on this Friday to Monday trip, I headed off solo. 

I started from Omeo after heading over Mt Hotham, glad I did this as the trip was stunning.. roads were empty and the views were glorious..

From Omeo I found my way to Wheelers Hut for the night,glad I did as it was frosty and it’s nice being inside...I was befriended by a hunting dog for a few hours till his owner caught up with him. Don’t know how the dogs do it, running through the bush.......poor bugger was knackered. 

Next morning was early start to hit Mt Pinnabar, been a few times already and was thinking about camping up top for the night. It was cold and cloudy, wait 3 minutes and you got sunshine Nd then minutes later.......cloud.... loved it. 

From there I took a few tracks that were pretty tame, being solo, in the wet, didn’t really want to get myself into too much of a pickle. Even a few Medium tracks had their moments....Gibson Hut was my next stop and it was a blast. Newly rebuilt, clean and warm. Fireplace inside worked a treat as it was raining all night. Also had company.....a mouse that was keen on everything he could sink his teeth into...

From this Hut I again took a few mild tracks, still not seeing any travellers out there. The way I like it. I hit Pheasant Creek track which had a few good steep climbs and in the wet....it got my heart pumping just a little. Nothing like having to reverse downhill in the wet. Not my favourite thing to do but managed to get it done. Picking the right line, bit of mojo and hills conquered. That track lead to the main road into Benembra which was a pleasant trip. Great fRms and scenery. Once Into town I took a few back roads along farming country and saw some of the country that I hadn’t seen before. Man it was pretty,rolling hills, green and fat cows. 

From there I zig zagged to Dogs Grave Hut. Sweet historic Hut and grave for a beloved pooch. Hut in great condition, well on the outside at least. But blow me....why does everyone have to scrawl on every wall they can find? Seems as soon as one idiot doesn’t it, it’s open season. Yeah it’s a cool reminder of your time there, but damn it’s fugly. If you’ve done this in the past, please make it the last time. Good Hut spoilt. 

I was planning on crashing here, but as it was early in the day I thought I’d check one more Hut and if no good, then come back. It was only 20 km away so I could return if the hit was no good. 

The hut was Treasures Mt Ewen Hut.....don’t bother if your wondering. It was run down and looked like it was a deros hideout! That was a waste of time for me and no turning back to Dogs Grave Hut as the trip there took over an hour of low range crawling. Mathewson track was a heel of a good climb, wet, steep, rutted and steep. So I planned to hit Dargo which wasn’t too far away. Plan to hit the pub, invest some cash there after the fires and do the right thing. Camp out back of the pub and call it a night. But checked the map and me having Italian folks, saw Italian flat camp ground. Had to check it out and glad I did. Sweet spot and already had a tonne of fire wood cut for me. Meant to be. So sorry Dargo Pub, next time. The night was still, no rain and a cracking fire to boot. Only one other camped there so super quiet.

Then sadly the trip home, nothing exciting but after 3 nights camping I was only just starting to relax and get my head sorted. That’s always the case.

Hope the photos work....enjoy.

Liam Kelly
Liam Kelly (Lmkelly7)
07 May 2019

stayed at italian flat over easter, its a very nice spot!

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
07 May 2019

There's a hut at Dog's grave ?   Learn something every day.  Nice write up :-)

Looks like you had a great trip Mark! Wish I could have come along.

Well done Mark, I love me lone trips 

Trev (trevmas)
07 May 2019

Great write up Mark

serves me right for being slack "could'a should'a ,missed out ! "

glad there are others who think the same !

Troy
Troy (Troyrgibbo)
07 May 2019

Nice reportđź‘Ś,great to do the loner trips every now and then....and yep wish peeps would not graffiti these huts even if their rundown, just ruins the experience!

Keep cruising!

Troy
Troy (Troyrgibbo)
07 May 2019

Message deleted by the author.

Sounded like a great few days away and an excellent read thank you for sharing your trip.

Holger
Holger (Timbertop)
07 May 2019

Great trip - thakns for sharing.

Any chance you have a map of thr trip? Do you think this could be done with a trailer as well?

Jake
Jake (jakelux)
07 May 2019

Awesome report mate.

Nothin beats a solo trip to clear the head and get away from everyone!

Phil
Phil (PT75)
07 May 2019

Awesome trip matey. Can’t wait to better set up mine for a more rugged trip! 

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
07 May 2019

Good write up mate. Thanks for sharing.

Do you travel with any epirbs or anything? Looking at getting one as me and the misses sometimes do Solo travel.

Roger (mrlowlight)
07 May 2019

A good read, thanks for posting. That's an area on my list for this year, good to know the hut names to look for.......Italian flat sounds nice, I lived in Italy for a couple of years. Grazie Roger.

Mark
Mark (Tennismark)
08 May 2019

Thanks crew for the kind words. 

I am no expert on camping or 4WD driving and offering this trip up and being a leader is not a thing I think I would be good at. If you think the same......don’t worry,just do it. Host a trip and see what it’s like. No one thinks any less of you or will critique you at all. We are all in the same boat. I made this trip up as I went and have done so on another one I planned that had a couple guys come along.

getting away and driving is what we all want and need to do, so post a trip, experience it and everyone will enjoy it. 

I plan on heading out again soon, so keep an eye out for it....

1 2   Next