SPOT GEN3 Satellite Emergency Personal Locator

Forum > Product Review
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Dec 2018

I don't go 4wding without carrying my SPOT GEN3 Satellite Emergency Locator. It has been my angel in case shit happen. The best thing about this device is that you just press a button and keep driving. The button can be a "Check-in" so your contacts (e.g. your wife, partners, friends) will know exactly where you are when they receive SMS message with the exact coordinate on Google map. 

It has an option for "I am in trouble" meaning if your 4wd breaks down, you can get someone (in your contact list) to come and help you. 

Obviously it's the SOS Emergency Beacon which will trigger an emergency SOS alert to the authorities. 

Isaac (BT50)
30 Dec 2018

Second that, plus when I’m out of the car bushwalking it’s easy to ccarry on a lanyard

Alex Noulas
Alex Noulas (Wk2)
30 Dec 2018

Glad you bought up the need for a personal locator. These are a great “must have” item. 

The fact that you can send an sms it great. I’ve been eying off the icon emergency beacon, but the added sms here I think puts it ahead in my opinion.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Dec 2018

Glad you bought up the need for a personal locator. These are a great “must have” item. 

The fact that you can send an sms it great. I’ve been eying off the icon emergency beacon, but the added sms here I think puts it ahead in my opinion.

Yes, the SMS is definitely great. Not sure if you know, the next SPOT new version coming out will allow you to type SMS on the go, so you don't even need to preset the SMS. I will definitely upgrade to that version when it releases. 

Jim Nicholls (JimN)
30 Dec 2018

I agree that having something based on a satalite system beats a mobile phone for remote or even bush travel, but i went for a sat phone instead since i can decide to call for an ambulance or a tray truck depending on the type of emergency. Now there are satellite based devices that let you write your own short message without having to reprogram the device. Garmin make one.

Mark
Mark (markcc)
30 Dec 2018

I had the Spot 2 for years, then a couple of years ago yearly subscription fees rose dramatically, so cancelled.

Have had a sat phone for a while now and will purchase a plb for that just-in-case moment. For less than two years’ subscription to Spot I can purchase a plb.

Mark
Mark (markcc)
30 Dec 2018

Message deleted by the author.

Mark
Mark (markcc)
30 Dec 2018

Message deleted by the author.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
30 Dec 2018

I agree that having something based on a satalite system beats a mobile phone for remote or even bush travel, but i went for a sat phone instead since i can decide to call for an ambulance or a tray truck depending on the type of emergency. Now there......

Problem with sat phones is you can’t always get reception, mines very patchy in the high country but that might also depend on network. I have a plb as well, and for the couple hundred it cost its a good back up

(mauriceb)
30 Dec 2018

Quote. "Obviously it's the SOS Emergency Beacon which will trigger an emergency SOS alert to the authorities" That's why i would choose a Satphone over a Spot or a Messenger device. In a real emergency you want to be able to talk to the doctor or mechanic for help. If you break down it's not life threating and activating will send all the emergency services to your aid. In the high country you only have to move up the ridge to obtain a signal if your deep in a valley . Besides the sevice fee's a almost the same and some satphone plan's a even less. . Its free to dial triple 0 on a satphone even if you have no credit. You can also check in to family on most Satphone's by txting your co-ords.

My husband and I have been using SPOT GPS messengers for 10 years (we started with the first generation SPOT and subsequently upgraded to the second and third generation devices for the features they offered) and mainly use it to let our family and close friends know where we are when we are not easily contactable (our SPOT account is configured to automatically send them an SMS and email when we use the OK message checkin).

The main issue with any device like a SatPhone, EPIRB, InReach or similar device that has to used/activated in or order to obtain help/assistance (or features like the Help/SOS function some of these devices have) is that if you are unconscious, not able to operate the device due to injuries, and/or separated from the device (and not able to reach it) you won't be able to activate anything.

The thing we like most about the SPOT (which we always use in tracking mode when we are out motorcycle riding on our own) is that, in the event of an incident/accident, we don't have to activate anything for someone to know where we are.  Also, by using tracking mode others can follow your trip in almost real time and you can save a record of the route you took - if you visit my website (https://www.leslies.id.au) you can see the SPOT route for the 2009, 2012 and 2013 Postie Bike Challenges.

Finally, and unless one of us is out motorcycle riding with it, we always carry the SPOT in the car so that, if necessary, we can activate the SOS function for ourselves or someone else in locations where there is no phone reception.

I do have one but have canceled the subscription, the ~$250 yearly fee is a bit over the top. My opinion, but yes it could save your life.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Dec 2018

SPOT is by no mean for replacing EPIB or SatPhone. It's just another potential life-saving device, which may come in handy when needed with as simple as "One click" of a button. You don't need to take it out from a box, turn it on, point it to the sat, dial the number........ I just want to Press The Button and forget... and wait for the rescue. 

(mauriceb)
30 Dec 2018

So does that mean if you break a fanbelt and have no spare or your vehicle is in limp mode on an isolated track in the Simpson desert where no vehicles would pass for days you will activate a full emergency to respond to a non life threating situation. Where with a Satphone you could call Mt dare Station and they would assist you . Tell them your ok have food and water for xx days .I understand most would travel with a small group and other may also carry an epirb. Just the way i see it as a remote traveller and not been nasty to anyone. 

Townsend (bluepatrol)
30 Dec 2018

I had the Spot 2 for years, then a couple of years ago yearly subscription fees rose dramatically, so cancelled.

Have had a sat phone for a while now and will purchase a plb for that just-in-case moment. For less than two years’ subscription to Spot I can purchase a plb.

Totally agree Mark.  The subscription for the gen was crazy.  I went with sat phone which you can sms your coordinates if you feel the need to let the world know your whereabouts. 

1 2   Next