Club 4x4 Insurance - BE WARNED

Forum > General Discussion

Peter Morris (peter1)
17 Oct 2018

Message deleted by the author.

Ray
Ray (Ray)
18 Oct 2018

This sort of thing with so-called '4WD club' insurance goes way back. It was promoted to and by clubs as being the cheapest and best coverage for 4WDs. In reality, shopping around would give you much better deals that offered the same benefits. It wasn't a scam, but it did prey on people not doing their own due dilligence and just trusting the club. 

All the major insurers recognised early on that they were missing out on a lot of money by excluding 4WDs, especially since 4WDs featured very low in accident rates and claims (less or no damage in minor accidents), so they jumped in with far more competitive offers. Also, the FUD that the major insurance companies wouldn't honour claims for going off-road were quickly debunked. If you were on a gazetted track or on a legal area with no designated tracks, you were fully covered (anywhere in Australia). 

Matt (FTRUCK)
29 Oct 2018

Not only are Club 4x4 extremely hard to deal with. My car has been at the mechanics for a malicious damage claim for over 11 weeks now and I have been fighting with them to approve the claim. They finally approved the claim last week for the repairs, however only minmal reapairs and didnt even take the time to ensure the engine hasnt been damaged by issues with the intake system via the turbo.

I have already made my mind up to move back to Shannons where the premiums are better and they are much easier to deal with.

Would Definataly NOT recommend Club 4 x 4

Shame on you Pat Callihan for promoting them

Ian
Ian (Ranger50)
18 Nov 2018

Hi Guys,

I've been insured with Club 4x4 for 3 years now almost since they started, my vehicle is insured for full comprehensive, market value plus $25,000 worth of accessories, the first year it cost me around $650 when I was paying about $920 with Shannon's. 

The second year it cost me around $770, I spoke Kalen about it at the Melb 4x4 show and he said that when they entered the 4x4 insurance market they under estimated vehicle cost and cost of accessorie replacement and where caught out so they had to make adjustments to the pricing structure.

This year I spoke to Kalen again at the 4x4 show because my premium had gone up to $890, 3 years without a claim, this year his excuse was that there had been so many claims in NSW that the rest of the country had to pay for it. This was one reason, the other was that people where doing river crossings without walking or checking first resulting in a claim for a stuffed motors, which is there own stupidity. Hence Club 4x4 adding a river crossing clause to there policies.

I told Kalen also that if my premium goes up again next year he can stick his insurance company up his arse and I'll take my business else where!!

I don't understand why the many have to pay for the few, just because Club 4x4 didn't vent there customers properly or weed out the bad apples, we all have to pay, get rid of the unwanted customers and keep your prices at a reasonable rate CLUB 4X4!!!!

Cheers Ian

Peter Morris (peter1)
18 Nov 2018

Well said Ian. Kalen has struggled to respond to our posts in an effective manner. I too found the "spin" difficult to digest. I suggest this post should continue to make sure other members are given fair warning about our experiences. I know others are watching this space. Regards Peter

Les
Les (Les PK Ranger)
04 Jan 2019

Good feedback, and yes this is generally the way all insurance companies work.

Get you in then over the next year or two get premiums up, and their bottom line. 

Trust my 40 years driving and involvement in the crash repair trade, NOTHING is more important that profitability to all insurers. Nothing.

The ONLY way to beat this is as Ray said above, due diligence and time to phone 4 or 5 of them, if not every year, then at least every 2 years. 

club 4x4 have an excellent bait on the hook with their 2 tier recovery insurance option. 

Jon
Jon (thylaxene)
19 Feb 2019

Thanks for this thread! Was about to give Club4x4 a call. Now not going to now. So what 4 or 5 insuruers would you recommend calling for one's rig?

Cheers.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
20 Feb 2019

Any insurance company is worth calling, you just need to read the fine print but 99% will cover you even when off road as long as legally you are allowed to drive there , beaches and river crossings included. Its the extras and modifications you need to be carefull of but as long as the car is road worthy and legal you have nothing to worry about.

The only benifit that Club 4x4 has over any other insurer is there off road recovery cover but IMO that is negated by there extra excess for water crossing damage and the extra hoops they have made customers jump through befoer payouts

Les
Les (Les PK Ranger)
21 Feb 2019

Club 4x4 might still suit some people for their 4x4 insurance.

I you were doing some very extened / remote driving in a prticular year, it might be worth it just for the optional recovery cover, where you pay an extra $200 or $400 for additional $15k or $30k recovery fees (respectively).

There is an included $1500 recovery cover on the standard policy too, which I'm pretty sure no other insurance company will provide for mech breakdown.

I recall in one forum thread where Kalen (?) stated, words to the effect, their new clause on deeper water crossing etc will still cover if you have not just bolted into a river or whatever without due dilligance, walking it or using a stick etc to check depth.
Not sure exactly how this would be possible to assess, so maybe their water clauses need to be very carefully checked and questions asked, get it in writing !!

Have never been with Club 4x4, but have read several forums of late where they are getting a lot less love than in the early years of their operation.
I think they are coming to realise covering such a high risk, specific field of insurance is not very profitable !

I've been with Alliance the past few years, previously a couple of others, but yes all will cover anywhere as long as you are legally entitled to be there.

Have only had one insurance claim in nearly 40 years driving (2 years ago wiht Alliance, and no a problem with claim process), that was when a huge male Red kanga hit me on Googs track while I was driving just 25 - 30 km/hr or so !!
I needed a door shell complete, amazing the damage the mass of this animal did, he was probably going faster than me.
Looked in LH rearview mirror, and would you believe he just got up, shook his head off, and bolted !! Did a runner.

Peter Morris (peter1)
14 Aug 2020

Hi all, not sure if anyone is stil following this thread but just want ti let you know that my premium is due soon with club 4x4. However, due to travel restrictions caused by the covid virus, I have been trying to get an answer out of the company about any concessions. To date it looks like they haven't given any thought to this matter. I was promised that a "manager" would ring me once out of a meeting. Like previous occasions, I am still waiting 3 days later for a call. I have now formally written to club 4x4 and requested them to extend the duration of my policy for every day that stage 3 and 4 restrictions have applied to my 2019/20 policy. I have also requested the same apply for 2020/21 should I choose to continue my policy. You will note from thevthread above, my premium increased by over 130% in 3 years. Unless there is a meaningful effort to support their client base on this occasion, I will be going elsewhere. Happy to take any comments. Ps I have done the same with my wife's policy with another insurer and they look like coming to the party.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Aug 2020

I dumped them a few years ago, my insurance for the touring 4wd is due again so rang my insurer for a discount, saved me $250 on a premium that is already half that of club 4x4 with no 5% water damage excess.
The only difference in cover is that I have no $1500 remote breakdown cover included, so what I save over $1000 each year in premiums

Ian
Ian (Ranger50)
15 Aug 2020

Hi Matt, which company are you insured with then?

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Aug 2020

RACV , all the cars, caravan and house and contents all with them, have been for a while now plus get a 25 year membership discount, great to deal with every time I call or need to claim

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Aug 2020

As a side note, I have never heard of 1 person who is happy with club 4x4 at premium time or claim time, I would never even bother ringing them for a quote now