Transfer Case Reduction Gears

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2   Next
Anthony
Anthony (Digger1982)
18 Sep 2018

Just wondering if anyone has fitted reduction gears? Are they worth it? What ratios did you fit? Any other info would be appreciated 

Cheers

Nick
Nick (funwin)
18 Sep 2018

Yup, fitted the 63% reductions and love it. Especially now I’m running 35”s. 

Was finding even 1st gear low was to fast on some of the steeper or technical stuff. 

the 43% would be really good too. 85% I think would be too slow. I find the 63% on 35s pretty good though I very often have to change into high range. But makes the tech and steeps, a breeze. 

63 or 43 are the go. Car a GU patrol 2.8

Rob (Bessiethebeast)
19 Sep 2018

I have installed 85% reduction gears on a 4.8 petrol nissan patrol, manual with 35'' tyres.  Most of my low range driving is now in either 2nd or (mostly) 3rd gear.  In first I  can litterialy crawl up or down with minimal throttle.  

Some may not share this observation, but I have both a 4.5 landcruiser and pajero, both with diff lockers and I would say the low reduction gears provided greater 4x4 performance/competence than the lockers.  

Highly recommended

Steve
Steve (Mudduck)
19 Sep 2018

I had 43% in our old 4.2td Gu and they were awesome. 33s and gears made it a tractor offroad. No down side in my opinion.

Anthony
Anthony (Digger1982)
19 Sep 2018

Thanks everyone for you replies some great advise. They seem like they are a pretty good investment to me. Just wondering roughly how much did you get charged to installed, and did you replace all the bearings in the transfer case when you did it?

Cheers

Ben
Ben (benjhall)
19 Sep 2018

I'll let you know next week! Getting 63% gears fitted to my 4.8 manual running 35's

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
19 Sep 2018

Marks 4wd in braeside has a range to suit a few brands. I would do it as well but seem not possible on a borgwarner t/c

Ben
Ben (benjhall)
19 Sep 2018

I got the following quotes for installation:
$700 - Aus 4wd Kilsyth
$880 - The 4wd Shed Bayswater
$1300 - Guest 4wd Fairfield
$2400(!!) - 4x4 solutions Bundoora

Nick
Nick (funwin)
19 Sep 2018

I got the following quotes for installation:
$700 - Aus 4wd Kilsyth
$880 - The 4wd Shed Bayswater
$1300 - Guest 4wd Fairfield
$2400(!!) - 4x4 solutions Bundoora

Have a chat to https://www.terraintamer.com/en/ as they should be able to help with the install. I was about to book in to have mine installed with them and then ended up finding a trasfer case with them installed already so just swaped the cases over. 

Justin (Toy100)
19 Sep 2018

I put mine is a HF2A transfer case at the same time I put in a part time kit from marks adaptor. I did buy the gear from the States and I remember it being about $200 cheaper than Marks Adaptor. I have a HDJ100R IFS with superior engineering diff drop. It gives me more control and track options. I cant remember what the exact ratio is but it was about 25%.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
19 Sep 2018

I’ve got the 3.1 gears in my 80 and they are great.  Silent as stock. Never found anything I can’t go up in 3rd low unless ruts or rocks slow you down 

considering a set for my FJ73 auto from the us at 4:1 reduction for shits and giggles

Anthony
Anthony (Digger1982)
19 Sep 2018

Have a chat to https://www.terraintamer.com/en/ as they should be able to help with the install. I was about to book in to have mine installed with them and then ended up finding a trasfer case with them installed already so just swaped the cases over. 

What gearing was in the transfer case you bought? Cheers

Tim
Tim (ttxpc)
19 Sep 2018

What gearing was in the transfer case you bought? Cheers

5 speed 60 series, went to 44% under in low and 10% over in high, 4.85 gears in the diffs suit 35's

definately worth it if you like crawling the techy bits

edit sorry for the quote, cant remove it and was a reply to the origianl question, ....

Anthony
Anthony (Digger1982)
19 Sep 2018

5 speed 60 series, went to 44% under in low and 10% over in high, 4.85 gears in the diffs suit 35's

definately worth it if you like crawling the techy bits

edit sorry for the quote, cant remove it and was a reply to the origianl question, ....

Thanks for the info, thinking at this stage the 43% reduction gears would suit me best. Sounds like a good modification and would suit my type of driving. 

(Rlhydn_overland)
19 Sep 2018

Been considering the 30% reduction gears for our 76. Sounds like they could be a good thing.

1 2   Next