Simpson Desert advice

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Maarten
Maarten (DUTCHD)
06 Jul 2018

Hi guys,
Work has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works and has left me with a few weeks where I could do a 'last minute' escape. This time of year the deserts are excellent to explore. I've always wanted to do the Simpson Desert but always see how people plan these trips months in advance. I've done some reading here and there but can't find much on what people actually prepare. Obviously your car needs to be in excellent condition, bring plenty of fuel, water, food, clothing for both hot and cold weather, permits, have options for stops and camps etc. In saying that, a lot of posts actually mention very little specifics on this. So, to those who have done it, what else is there to plan. I only have myself to cater to food and camp wise so that's fairly straight forward. Hopefully I'll know in a week from now what the work situation will be for the next month or two, so if the stars align, and hopefully a travel partner or so found, I might be tempted to do west to east. Should have about 3 weeks all up Melbourne to Melbourne.
Thanks in advance!

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
06 Jul 2018

I did it 2 years ago, fantastic part of the world to visit. Did it west to east. Prep wise, I  replaced all oils , new belts, hoses etc etc. Kept all the old stuff as good replacements. New wheels bearings in the front and rechecked them along the way, corrugations are the hardest thing on the car.

Fuel, I used 105 lt to cross but I had 160 on board just in case.

Food, I took alot of cryovaced meat so I always had a feed but there is always a good chance for a feed along the way at towns or some of the hotels like Williams creek or Mt Dare etc. Heaps of water of course.

Basic camp set up was the best. I watched people in our group fuss around each night with set up but simple and basic was the best especially after 15 nights camping.

cheers.

Maarten
Maarten (DUTCHD)
06 Jul 2018

I did it 2 years ago, fantastic part of the world to visit. Did it west to east. Prep wise, I  replaced all oils , new belts, hoses etc etc. Kept all the old stuff as good replacements. New wheels bearings in the front and rechecked them a......

Thanks. Belts were done not too long ago, most oils too. Bearings were recently replaced. I'll get the bottom hose for the cooling done but otherwise everything is up to scratch. I can carry 145 l including 2 jerries on the rear carrier, but I'll probably put 2 more on the rack. 185l should well and truly do.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
06 Jul 2018

Also I tightened and checked every bolt I could including putting locktite on brake caliper bolts, Ive had them rattle loose previously. Just remembered that as I replaced all my brake pads this arvo and put a kit thru the rear caliper and found the locktite.

It was silly small things across 8 vehicles that we had a few issues with, as long as you carry stuff like fence wire, washers and bolts, cable ties, rubber exhaust mounts ...etc., to get you out of trouble if needed.

My mate put a lot of time into an itinerary for the trip, very impressive amount of work for a landscaper :) , if you would like I can email it. We did it over 15 days but I would of liked a few extra so 3 weeks would be a good time frame.

cheers  

Matt
Matt (Matt86)
09 Jul 2018

Also I tightened and checked every bolt I could including putting locktite on brake caliper bolts, Ive had them rattle loose previously. Just remembered that as I replaced all my brake pads this arvo and put a kit thru the rear caliper and foun......

Hi Alex if you get a chance I would love to get a copy of the Simpson trip itenary as I plan on doing it around this time next year. My email is matt@mtrelectrical.com.au

cheers

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
10 Jul 2018

We did it in the middle of summer back in the 90's before they closed it in the hotter months.  Yeah it was HOT.  44degC in the shade.

3 days to cross we didnt beat around the bush it was harsh at that time of the year.  As long as your trucks in good mechanical nick - which yours is- basic spares and maps its pretty straight forward. Stay on the formed tracks across the salt plains sand flag and the like plus more fuel thant you think.  We did west to east on the French Line.  I had to take the bypass over big red tyres were too narrow and the 60 sank like a stone in soft sand.  Hope it works out !