Charging an AUX battery

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Rick
Rick (Rick T)
24 May 2018

Hi all,

I’m about to set up a second battery in the tray of my 2013 BT 50, after spending hours online looking at different set ups I still have a burning question, why can’t I just charge the battery directly from the alternator? Why can’t the alternator do the same for the AUX battery as it does for the starter battery?

I’m told that my alternator isn’t a ‘smart’ alternator as fitted to the newer model. No doubt I’ll need to have an isolator somewhere but the huge cost of a bc/dc or dc/dc charger seems over the top. 

I just want to run an 80litre fridge (I know its too big but it’s what I have) and some lighting. I have a 130amp battery.

Just hoping to get some lived experience from the good people of this site.

Cheers Rick.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
24 May 2018

You can, but without an isolator running accessories just drains them both,.  In effect you've just made your cranking battery bigger.

Rick
Rick (Rick T)
24 May 2018

Thanks Alex,

So as long as I isolate the AUX battery when the car is not running it won’t drain the starter battery and remember to reconnect so it will charge the AUX battery while driving 

I’ve ordered my tray and canopy for the ute (yay) and plan to have it connected with an anderson plug.

So if I just pull/connect the plug as required it should be ok?

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
24 May 2018

Thanks Alex,

So as long as I isolate the AUX battery when the car is not running it won’t drain the starter battery and remember to reconnect so it will charge the AUX battery while driving 

I’ve ordered m......

Yep.  Probably easier to take the power leads, well at least the positive, from your existing battery rather than the alternator as is protected by a main fuse then - I’d also fuse it at both ends as close as you can to each respective battery “without fail’.  Else you have a long hot lead that’s not protected should something go wrong.   Even a cheapo isolated kit is a good option so you never forget though.

Rick
Rick (Rick T)
24 May 2018

Thanks mate 

I’ll be getting an auto elec to do the work. I just didn’t want to be pressured into getting gadgets that I don’t want 

thanks for your help 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
24 May 2018

No worries I’ll show you my set up I’ve got fused battery terminals love ‘em

Rick
Rick (Rick T)
24 May 2018

No worries I’ll show you my set up I’ve got fused battery terminals love ‘em

Sweet, see you soon 

Chris
Chris (Milney)
27 May 2018

Redarc SBI12

Simple and foolproof.

Rick
Rick (Rick T)
27 May 2018

Redarc SBI12

Simple and foolproof.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for that. I looked it up and it looks like a good option. I’ve still got 4 weeks to decide. I want to keep it as simple as possible 

Ray
Ray (Chook)
28 May 2018

Yep +1 for the Redarc SBi12 under the bonnet with a 50A fuse between it and crank battery.

That is a 60A resettable circuit breaker on the back wall. This is in the back of my Discovery.

Rick
Rick (Rick T)
28 May 2018

Yep +1 for the Redarc SBi12 under the bonnet with a 50A fuse between it and crank battery.

That is a 60A resettable circuit breaker on the back wall. This is in the back of my Discovery.

(Rlhydn_overland)
27 Aug 2018

You only absolutely need DCDC charges for more modern more advanced chem batteries (Lithium Lead crystal). Smarl relays will work ok for most other battery types. I just give it a good charge with a 240 multi stage charger every few months to maximise the battery life.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
27 Aug 2018

Can tell someone’s never toured with multiple batteries where a vsr means the last battery to be charged is the one on the vsr circuit.