4WD training courses around Melbourne

Forum > General Discussion

Mark (Mark66)
03 Jan 2015

Hi All,

HI there - hope you're well. Do you happen to know of any 4WD training courses in/around Melbourne where the vehicle is provided as part of the course? I've found lots of courses, but they're all "drive you own car" style. Reason is, my parents want to do a 4WD training course in preparation for a holiday to Africa later next year where they'll be driving a "proper" 4WD - but they only have a Forrester.

Regards,

Mark

()
03 Jan 2015

Best place probaly melbourne 4x4 back of werribee.

Simon
Simon (PovPack80)
03 Jan 2015

You can do a course with FWDV, 4 wheel drive victoria, they run proficiency courses at the Werribee 4WD park and run the theory at Balwyn in the evening. They instruct plenty of people for work related courses in rentals ( http://www.sargent.com.au/4wdhire.aspx ) is an option, it's a good course, I've run a few of their courses down there.

cheers

Simon

Jason
Jason (lockee)
03 Jan 2015

Australian Off Road Academy organise courses and supply vehicles.

Dave Darmody, owner is a good mate of mine

Andrew Wale
Andrew Wale (awale)
04 Jan 2015

Mark.

You would be supprised where a forester could go.
I would give the Suburu Forester Club a call.
If you can do a course in the Forester, you will be able to drive any 4WD.
As some one has already mentioned, hire a proper 4WD.

I would highly recommend The Four Wheel Drive Vic courses. Their instrauctors know their stuff.
http://www.fwdvictoria.org.au/default0.asp?First=

Andrew Wale

Brian
Brian (Hitman)
04 Jan 2015

I'm seeing a car swap for the day!!!!

Daniel
Daniel (dswiders)
04 Jan 2015

Another one near Morwell is www.mountaintopexperience.com

Graeme
Graeme (Patrol01)
05 Jan 2015

Hi Mark. I am a club driving instructor with 4wd vice and we do a lot of proficiency courses for beginners etc. a lot do not have their own vehicles and so hire them from Avis in South Melbourne. If they do a course with 4wd vice they may get some sort of discount.

let me know if you need more info. Cheers, Graeme

Patrol01

Mark (Mark66)
05 Jan 2015

Hi folks,

Thank you all who responded.

Great stuff.

I originally posted this before Christmas and had forgotten I'd done so and note I forgot to add at the start that this was a question from a (very much) non 4WD friend to me on behalf of his folks so I'll pass all feedback onto him. 

Regards

Mark