Unbiased gear review thread.

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Previous   1 2 3   Next
Kyle
Kyle (Loretta)
21 May 2018

Hi Guys

I have a Ridge Ryder Single Piston Compressor and so does a good mate. I was impressed his did 4x33s & 4x29s from 20-30psi in a row without getting hot. 

My Brother has a thumper dual piston I am yet to compare but will let others know.

I know it’s probably a seperate topic but anyone got a DIY on board air tank? 

As for safety gear after the above which I agree with I won’t post too much however I recall an extensive test from one of the 4wd magazines, it revealed the ARB 8000kg snatch strap came out on top.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
21 May 2018

Hi Guys

I have a Ridge Ryder Single Piston Compressor and so does a good mate. I was impressed his did 4x33s & 4x29s from 20-30psi in a row without getting hot. 

My Brother has a thumper dual piston I am yet to co......

I used a 2nd hand fire extinguisher as an air tank.  Strong as **** and avaialable in millions of sizes.  Heck, you can buy a new one and empty it for less than the price of a cheap aluminuim tank that will dent as soon as you look at it.  I just unscrewed the trigger handle and got a brass fitting from Pirtek, ran a hose out of it ..    Hey presto one air tank.  You could also put a relief valve on it if ever you were worried about over pressurizing it but fire extuinguisher tanks are pretty tough. 

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
21 May 2018

Portable Shower.. $25.00 soupacenter special..

Best bit of kit I have had sitting in the back of my truck for the last 6 months.

Been fantastic at the end of the day to be able to have a shower, used it about 8 or 9 times

However.. the submersible water pump doesn't like to be submersed in water.

Naked in the middle of Wombat, all soaped up... and the pump died half way thruough..

So there I was all nude and bubbly trying to sort out the why's of what it could be..

Turns out the pump seals dont 100% seal and water got in corroding everything

But hey..it's only $25 and to their credit they replaced it within the week ( 12months warranty)

See how long this one last's.. haha

cheers :)

Andrew
Andrew (Kimmdogg)
22 May 2018

I bought the ALDI air compressor, can't remember price but it hasn't let me down yet. I did change the screw fitting to a press fitting to make things quicker. Yeah it uses some power, but I leave the car running and complete the top ups in under five minutes.

Same.  Got the ALDI 160Lt red compressor.  It’s got the same body, same shape, same features, same sound as  the terrain tamer compressor.  Only difference is price, $248 show special vs $88 in Aldi store special.  Plus the Aldi one comes in a hard carry case with extras to blow up footy’s and air mattress, can’t complain there.  Only problem is I’ve got both😞

Jason
Jason (Deimos)
22 May 2018

I bought the ALDI air compressor, can't remember price but it hasn't let me down yet. I did change the screw fitting to a press fitting to make things quicker. Yeah it uses some power, but I leave the car running and complete the top ups in under five minutes.

Me too got the big air compressor from aldi (260L/min) backnin 2016 was bout $120 when came out or so then a few weeks later found it in another store discounted to $90 so was lucky got it at bargain... works a treat no probs but bit heavy. Changed the hose for a proper heavy duty from Bunnings with proper nitto ends.. use an indistrial mechanic grade jamec pen inflater...
Found that beacuse with the inflator it holds the air back until the trigger is pressed instead of constant flow like original hose, this puts stress on the compressor, so I just keep my trigger engaged when moving tire to tire.... Will eventually wire up to 4L on board air tank with cut off valves and such... This will help this issue and complete the installation

Jason
Jason (Deimos)
22 May 2018

Me too got the big air compressor from aldi (260L/min) backnin 2016 was bout $120 when came out or so then a few weeks later found it in another store discounted to $90 so was lucky got it at bargain... works a treat no probs but bit heavy. Changed t......
Did notice that since my one now the aldi one is not as strong...

Jason
Jason (Deimos)
22 May 2018

Would like to know thoughts on aldi recovery gear.
Snatch, equaliser, tow recovery hitch, high lift etc...

()
22 May 2018

Hi,

i don’t buy any recovery gear that is badged with a retail logo. The reason is, you don’t know what you get - the last time Aldi sold recovery gear it was probably sourced from a different manufacturer - it’s always a gamble.

for me personally recovery gear I buy:

recover straps (snatch) - brand: “just straps” (replaced every 10 recoveries or 2years)

extension straps - I use my old winch rope doubled up

tree trunk protectors/equaliser - 4t lifting slings, with WLL and tag (any brand)

shackles - appropriate size, WLL stamped (any brand)

winch rope - brand: bubba rope (for front), locally sourced at rear

Snatch blocks - brand: Kaymar, WLL stamped

experimenting with: soft shackles & kinetic rope

recovery boards: maxtrax only

hope that helps

Andre

Ray
Ray (Ray)
22 May 2018

I've used plenty of Aldi stuff over the years and had few issues. Lots of people denigrate Aldi products, but experience tells me that much of it is simply old wive's tales. Just check that the products have the appropriate Australian certifications, which they most certainly will.

()
22 May 2018

Ray (Ray) wrote:

I've used plenty of Aldi stuff over the years and had few issues. Lots of people denigrate Aldi products, but experience tells me that much of it is simply old wive's tales. Just check that the products have the appropriate Australian c......

Two exceptions:

a) there is no standard for 4wd straps (any kind) in Australia 

b) very hard to find a snatch block with WLL

the closest standard you can look for comes from the lifting industry. And there I totally agree - if it’s WLL stamped, doesn’t matter who you buy it from or what the brand it. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_load_limit

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
22 May 2018

() wrote:

Two exceptions:

a) there is no standard for 4wd straps (any kind) in Australia 

b) very hard to find a snatch block with WLL

the closest standard you can look for comes from the lifting industry. And there ......

Aldi snatch block specs from the 4x4 Tough page:

SPECIFICATIONS

Working Load: 8000kg
Breaking Strength 12000kg
Side Plate Material: Steel
Pulley Material Steel
Pulley Diameter: Outer 98mm / Inner 84mm
Winch Line Size Maximum 14mm
Weight: 2.4kg
Greasable: Yes

()
22 May 2018

Aldi snatch block specs from the 4x4 Tough page:

SPECIFICATIONS

Working Load: 8000kg
Breaking Strength 12000kg
Side Plate Material: Steel
Pulley Material Steel
Pulley Diameter: Outer 98mm / Inner 84m......

thats a fantastic find!

hopefully the picture is not 100% acurate, because the gap between pully and plate makes it easy for small rope to get caught in.

that would bring my list of "blocks with WLL" up to 5 (always looking for more options)

Hi Jason.

I have to agree with Andre and many of his comments. I personally would not buy recovery equip. from Aldi. I have bought other technical stuff from them, including Medion Computer, Brauhn PVR and the like. They lasted just past the warranty period and that was that. Recovery gear is very important meaning that it could save your life or should it fail, it could cut your life short.

Always ensure that the ratings are certified with WLL (Working Load Limit.) and not some piece of material sewn in with a number on it.  I personally do not like to buy any package  that is supposed to be a complete kit. It might be cheaper but you get what you pay for. I would rather shop around and buy what I need once I have inspected it and am happy.

I mentioned earlier that many of my items are from Ebay. Most suppliers with accept returns if customer is not happy especially if threatened with supplier ratings that are less than zero.

What I have said does not stop me shopping at Aldi. Food products etc are good value. It is just that if I am stuck halfway up a mountain and need to be snatched and my Aldi 8000kg snatch strap breaks at 5000kg, it is going to leave me in a bit of a bind.

Sincerely, Posijohn

Any recommendations for exhaust jacks?

()
22 May 2018

Any recommendations for exhaust jacks?

try one before you buy one (I did the opposite and gave mine away for free after it spend 3yrs in the shed)

Previous   1 2 3   Next